Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

December 2016 delivery Falcon Wings. Report here...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the Flacon Wings doors have had many problems from the beginning. But I've also heard from Tesla that those problems have now been resolved. I'd like to test that statement by asking the folks that have taken delivery in the last 30 days or so, what has your experience been like with the Falcon Wing doors in terms of function and reliability? Are they getting stuck in the cycle for no reason? Are they always closing properly? Any repairs needed?

Early on, I heard from one person that the door closed down on his wife and hurt her. It may be that they accidentally gave it the command to close, but still the doors should have stopped when encountering a person without hurting them. They were repaired but now she's scared of them. Not a good product situation.

It would be great to know if the problems are in the past and not an issue anymore, or if it's just better than it was before, but still a problem.

I JUST got my Model X (Sunday) but the one thing I can comment on here is the closing down on someone and hurting them aspect, we were playing around and had someone stand under the door and then give it the command to close. It touched him but then stopped and remained in that position (without any input). So hopefully that issue is resolved at least.

I have very limited use so far obviously but I would describe them as quite reliable so far. I have not noticed them getting stuck in the cycle for no reason, but I have noticed (at least this is my understanding, haven't even touched the manual yet) that it will "remember" a paused/custom degree of openness if you set one using the touchscreen and then forget you did so; the next time you open it with whatever method it will open to that degree, and then there will be a "hold to override" button on the touchscreen to get it the rest of the way to fully open.

I like them :p

Thanks, Hawkian. That sounds promising. Give us more updates later on. By the way, I'm up the road a ways from you, in the Gainesville area. You have a lot of Teslas down there. Don't know how many there are around here, I'll need to go to Jacksonville for service, but that's still better than Orlando, which would have been the closest before the Jax SC opened.

Picked up the X on Saturday delivery. Expecting issues... took my time on delivery with the checklist. Car was flawless. Yes, everything aligned, perfect paint... and it's white multi coat... and the doors. Well I was expecting these violent somewhat useless and temperamental things. All I can say is that they are gentle, and cautious and so far very useful (toddler with one more on the way). We couldn't be happier, knock on wood so far it's been a dream. We traded in a model S we've had for years so this is coming from a previous happy tesla owner. Wanted to leave a note here after reading so many horror stories.

Picked up my new Model X last week. Apparently, mine came with the "Squeaks and Rattles" package. Had I known, I would have de-selected it when I ordered the car. They are now telling me that it will be over a month to get a service appointment. This is very disappointing. They should have taken care of this nonsense months and months ago. There is no excuse for this.

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit
Picked up my new Model X last week. Apparently, mine came with the "Squeaks and Rattles" package. Had I known, I would have de-selected it when I ordered the car. They are now telling me that it will be over a month to get a service appointment. This is very disappointing. They should have taken care of this nonsense months and months ago. There is no excuse for this.
You know what they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. ;)
Hopefully, you're giving way to more serious issues (eg. doors won't close), so that if you're in that situation one day, you'll get a quicker appointment.

my delivery was at the end of december and i did have door issues... but they fixed them within a day and all seems well now. My auto opening doors seem too have a total mind of their own though.. but I don't know if I am doing it right :)

I took delivery on 12/30 and my passenger side falcon wing door doesn't close correctly. It's misaligned when it's closing and overlaps with the frame of the car. Fortunately I have an appointment with the SC this Tuesday to address it.

MX arrived 12/23 but I didn't pick up until 1/7. Only a week in, and I've had two passenger side FW door "situations". Seems to work fine most of the time but both times I've dropped my child off at school, it doesn't want to work correctly. She swears she was no opening the door herself when I was doing the same on the screen.

First day it wouldn't open at all. The second day it opened 1/2 way. After telling her to wait.....she went anyway and ducked under the door. I had already pushed the button on the screen and it came down on her (lucky hit her backpack so no issues.) Currently waiting for service to tell me what to do. I'm scared of doing all of this resetting on my own & messing up the car.

MX arrived 12/23 but I didn't pick up until 1/7. Only a week in, and I've had two passenger side FW door "situations". Seems to work fine most of the time but both times I've dropped my child off at school, it doesn't want to work correctly. She swears she was no opening the door herself when I was doing the same on the screen.

First day it wouldn't open at all. The second day it opened 1/2 way. After telling her to wait.....she went anyway and ducked under the door. I had already pushed the button on the screen and it came down on her (lucky hit her backpack so no issues.) Currently waiting for service to tell me what to do. I'm scared of doing all of this resetting on my own & messing up the car.
I suggest turning on the child protection feature in "Controls | Settings". Then your child will be unable to open the FWD from the rear and you can only do it from the touchscreen or from outside.