Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decent Door Dent - What Am I Looking At $$?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry Cam caught them but unfortunately they didn't have a front plate and the rear plate was never close enough to the cameras to get a clear image. Driver door, just in front of the handle.

Possible for just a dent repair shop (tesla approved of course) or is this a bigger job?

M3DoorDent.jpg

Reactions: IdaX
I had a very similar dent 2 weeks after I got the car. None of the PDR shops I talked to would agree to try to fix it, so I had to go with a body shop. Was $1300, luckily the guilty party insurance covered it.

If I were to repeat that process again I would try harder to find a PDR fix first.

Sentry Cam caught them but unfortunately they didn't have a front plate and the rear plate was never close enough to the cameras to get a clear image. Driver door, just in front of the handle.

Possible for just a dent repair shop (tesla approved of course) or is this a bigger job?

I had a very similar dent in my 3 fixed by a Tesla certified shop. Used PDR and it came out remarkably well. I was very impressed. Cost was ~1600, mostly all labor.

I doubt PDR will be an option for that hit due to the location. Just behind the horizontal door crease (the one that's supposed to be there) there is a second piece of metal that blocks access from behind which is where PDR would normally push from.
I'm not telling you to check with some experts on it but I have a small ding right on that crease myself and i couldn't get it to push out from behind with my novice PDR skills and neither would the body shop i took it too after i failed.

I doubt PDR will be an option for that hit due to the location. Just behind the horizontal door crease (the one that's supposed to be there) there is a second piece of metal that blocks access from behind which is where PDR would normally push from.
I'm not telling you to check with some experts on it but I have a small ding right on that crease myself and i couldn't get it to push out from behind with my novice PDR skills and neither would the body shop i took it too after i failed.

As I posted earlier, I had a similar dent on the crease. Shop got it out with PDR. Mine was further toward the front of the door, so maybe this second piece doesn't extend all the way.
IMG_20191108_154633.jpg

The problem is that it is on the crease. Not sure of the composition of the M3 door shell, but if it is steel probably a lot of shops can do a good job for not too much. If it is aluminum like my MS and you want a certified repair it's going to take a new door shell and cost at least $3K if not more.