Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decent Review by Fortune Mag, but how could TM give crappy vehicle to journalist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We Took the Tesla Model X for a Test Drive
The journalist loved the car and features, but the carpet was tearing in the back, weatherstripping was hanging off the FWD, and the child seat in row 2 got crushed while accessing 3rd row. How in the world would TM not inspect the car prior to giving it to a journalist to ensure fit and finish were perfect? We all know, it's the same for the journalists as you beta testers who got early VINs before the 5 seat wannabees like me. While the current builds are going to Europe and China, me and @vperl sit here waiting and waiting. I am reading that current builds are better on fit n finish and complaints are dropping, but come on Elon. Cant you communicate with the DS and Assembly Line manufacturers and ensure that carpet is properly installed, and weatherstripping is properly secured before you loan a company car to a journalist? Are you really trying to garner positive reviews? If so, fix the production line and fix the communications to customers, and be more transparent so we, in these forums, know what the heck is going on with the production ramp. For me, my MX was anticipated for delivery mid-2016. We are in mid-2016, which runs from April 1-September 30. I have never heard from my DS about any update, and I have no VIN. With current vehicles being told to expect delivery in June-July, I have serious misgivings if I will see my car before start of Q4....and I really, really want the 2nd row to fold flat....and I really want to see everyone get a sunshade, including @K-MTG

It was not her car. It had CA MFG plates.i would not imagine a magazine journalist having the ka'ching for an X, IMHO

IMHO we should not make no assumptions about people's capacity to afford certain purchases. We all have our own priorities and rationalizations. As we all know Tesla has attracted many buyers who have gone way beyond their traditional car budget because of the appeal of Tesla and its product. I know a guy who drives a beat up civic but spent 30K on a DSLR.

IMHO we should not make no assumptions about people's capacity to afford certain purchases. We all have our own priorities and rationalizations. As we all know Tesla has attracted many buyers who have gone way beyond their traditional car budget because of the appeal of Tesla and its product. I know a guy who drives a beat up civic but spent 30K on a DSLR.
Absolutely agree, I despise the assumptions that are made (I saved up for ~30 years for my S85, I just didn't know what I was saving for all the time I was driving junkers, clunkers, hand-me-downs and fix-er-ups :)).
However.
The first words she says are "Tesla was kind enough to loan me the highest-performance Model X yet: the P90D."

Absolutely agree, I despise the assumptions that are made (I saved up for ~30 years for my S85, I just didn't know what I was saving for all the time I was driving junkers, clunkers, hand-me-downs and fix-er-ups :)).
However.
The first words she says are "Tesla was kind enough to loan me the highest-performance Model X yet: the P90D."

Damn, I hate people who read carefully. I suppose you actually read contracts before signing too?

• Funny
Reactions: beths11 and madodel
Damn, I hate people who read carefully. I suppose you actually read contracts before signing too?
:) My closing paperwork on our house had the wrong Legal Address, caught it by reading what we were about to sign.

Should have kept quiet on this one: loan paperwork for a new Dodge Caravan was filled-in to have me agreeing to make a "payment on the 15th of every October." One payment a year! I had to open my big proofreader mouth :(

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Should have kept quiet on this one: loan paperwork for a new Dodge Caravan was filled-in to have me agreeing to make a "payment on the 15th of every October." One payment a year! I had to open my big proofreader mouth

That was just Chrysler apologizing for your purchase. The remain 11/12 of the payment was undoubtedly needed for transmission repairs.

I was mostly horrified by the finish of the 3rd row seats when folded flat. or the un-finish I should say.

on a more personal note, this video appeared on my Facebook newsfeed yesterday and I assumed it was from the Model X club that I follow there.. but instead it was from an old friend of mine who lives in CA. her little girl is the baby in the video.

The journalists' wealth response was simply my opinion, and clearly not fact. Also, as a plastic surgeon, I am pretty good at aging people. Looking at her, versus the under 1 year old infant in the car seat, she clearly is not a mom, but perhaps grandma. So, in my opinion, she was not an MX owner, but was reviewing a vehicle given to her to review by TM. I was simply responding to @electracity who asked if it was "her car"
Not afraid to voice opinion when clearly labeled as opinion...cut me some slack jack.

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin and madodel
Also, as a plastic surgeon, I am pretty good at aging people. Looking at her, versus the under 1 year old infant in the car seat, she clearly is not a mom, but perhaps grandma

I had a friend who is a dentist do an analysis - several iterations of "zoom and enhance" (3 I think) that you see on CSI-type docudramas and based on her comments, what you say is "clearly" is not so clear.

My guess is there were a long line of press that had the car before Fortune Magazine got it. Press cars are treated like garbage by the journalists that borrow them. It's probably lived a short but very hard life and someone in the press fleet position at Tesla dropped the ball and didn't go over it before passing it along to the next media outlet, in this case Fortune.

The journalists' wealth response was simply my opinion, and clearly not fact. Also, as a plastic surgeon, I am pretty good at aging people. Looking at her, versus the under 1 year old infant in the car seat, she clearly is not a mom, but perhaps grandma. So, in my opinion, she was not an MX owner, but was reviewing a vehicle given to her to review by TM. I was simply responding to @electracity who asked if it was "her car"
Not afraid to voice opinion when clearly labeled as opinion...cut me some slack jack.
Shouldn't you be making people look younger?

Shouldn't you be making people look younger?

That probably costs more. Maybe he has a discount service: don't have much money but want plastic surgery? I have the solution for you!

Besides since one can be a grandmother at 28 or younger and a mother at 50+ It seems silly to say based on her looks
one can tell that she is a grandmother and not a mother.