Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decent Review by Fortune Mag, but how could TM give crappy vehicle to journalist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can it be considered fraud for a manufacturer to provide an extra level of quality to a car given to a journalist? Shouldn't they legally be allowed to give only representative samples to the press?
No, that's not fraud, Tesla can do pretty much whatever they want as long as it's not complete deception (like press cars having different parts and different specs, such as boosting performance in press cars for better test numbers). They're definitely free to inspect the car before giving it to the press to make sure they didn't give them a defective product to review. Which is why this case is really odd, how something like this got to the press.

That's why a lot of independent testing agencies (like Consumer Reports) buys a car through the regular consumer channels to ensure that they are getting an everyman's car and not a press car that has been specially inspected by the manufacturer for any defects or QC issues.

There is a X signature for test drive in Portland store. The covers on the 3rd row seats have exactly same problem. Also the metal hardware that connecting the base of 3rd row seat to car has noticeable rust all over. I hope the current productions do not have those problem.

Jalopnik is a total joke to the automobile journalism world. Quite glad to see that it is dying. Thank you Peter Thiel!
While I agree that the quality of the Jalopnik blog is rather wanting, I'm fairly sure that Jalopnik survived the bankruptcy and sale to Univision, ergo Thiel didn't get it....

But I bet they don't say anything negative about his personal car. (A Mercedes SL500) ;)