Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deceptive website by Tesla - features no longer exist in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what the Tesla website says you get with enhanced AuotPilot - Buyer Beware
1672097451194.png

When I purchased Enhanced AutoPilot and didn't receive any of those marked with an arrow, this is what Service said about it.
1672097571238.png

1672097631062.png

Here is one from Tesla on exactly this topic.

================================

Tesla Vision Update:
Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision​

Safety is at the core of our design and engineering decisions. In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022. Today, in most regions around the globe, these vehicles now rely on Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system.
Since launch, we have continued to make incremental improvements in both feature parity and safety. Compared to radar-equipped vehicles, Model 3 and Model Y with Tesla Vision have either maintained or improved their active safety ratings in the US and Europe, and perform better in pedestrian automatic emergency braking (AEB) intervention.
Today, we are taking the next step in Tesla Vision by removing ultrasonic sensors (USS) from Model 3 and Model Y. We will continue this rollout with Model 3 and Model Y, globally, over the next few months, followed by Model S and Model X in 2023.
Along with the removal of USS, we have simultaneously launched our vision-based occupancy network – currently used in Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta – to replace the inputs generated by USS. With today’s software, this approach gives Autopilot high-definition spatial positioning, longer range visibility and ability to identify and differentiate between objects. As with many Tesla features, our occupancy network will continue to improve rapidly over time.
For a short period of time during this transition, Tesla Vision vehicles that are not equipped with USS will be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:
  • Park Assist: alerts you of surrounding objects when the vehicle is traveling <5 mph.
  • Autopark: automatically maneuvers into parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
  • Summon: manually moves your vehicle forward or in reverse via the Tesla app.
  • Smart Summon: navigates your vehicle to your location or location of your choice via the Tesla app.
In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates. All other available Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capability features will be active at delivery, depending on order configuration.
Given the incremental improvements already achieved with Tesla Vision, and our roadmap of future Autopilot improvements and abilities, we are confident that this is the best strategy for the future of Autopilot and the safety of our customers.

===================================

Since your account is new, perhaps you did not search here to see if there was an existing discussion on this topic. So that you can join into an existing discussion, here are a few (but not all) of the threads on the topic of Tesla vision, and missing features:

There are a couple dozen more as well. If you would like to find more, you can search TMC for the words "Tesla Vision". Hope this helps you find more information on this if you are interested in joining in one of these discussions.

Here is one from Tesla on exactly this topic.

================================

Tesla Vision Update:​

Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision​

Safety is at the core of our design and engineering decisions. In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022. Today, in most regions around the globe, these vehicles now rely on Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system.
Since launch, we have continued to make incremental improvements in both feature parity and safety. Compared to radar-equipped vehicles, Model 3 and Model Y with Tesla Vision have either maintained or improved their active safety ratings in the US and Europe, and perform better in pedestrian automatic emergency braking (AEB) intervention.
Today, we are taking the next step in Tesla Vision by removing ultrasonic sensors (USS) from Model 3 and Model Y. We will continue this rollout with Model 3 and Model Y, globally, over the next few months, followed by Model S and Model X in 2023.
Along with the removal of USS, we have simultaneously launched our vision-based occupancy network – currently used in Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta – to replace the inputs generated by USS. With today’s software, this approach gives Autopilot high-definition spatial positioning, longer range visibility and ability to identify and differentiate between objects. As with many Tesla features, our occupancy network will continue to improve rapidly over time.
For a short period of time during this transition, Tesla Vision vehicles that are not equipped with USS will be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:
  • Park Assist: alerts you of surrounding objects when the vehicle is traveling <5 mph.
  • Autopark: automatically maneuvers into parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
  • Summon: manually moves your vehicle forward or in reverse via the Tesla app.
  • Smart Summon: navigates your vehicle to your location or location of your choice via the Tesla app.
In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates. All other available Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capability features will be active at delivery, depending on order configuration.
Given the incremental improvements already achieved with Tesla Vision, and our roadmap of future Autopilot improvements and abilities, we are confident that this is the best strategy for the future of Autopilot and the safety of our customers.

===================================

Since your account is new, perhaps you did not search here to see if there was an existing discussion on this topic. So that you can join into an existing discussion, here are a few (but not all) of the threads on the topic of Tesla vision, and missing features:

There are a couple dozen more as well. If you would like to find more, you can search TMC for the words "Tesla Vision". Hope this helps you find more information on this if you are interested in joining in one of these discussions.
That is not really OP’s point though, is it?

They are saying the features should be removed from the new order page because they do not, and cannot, exist on any new vehicles currently.

I don’t think a supplemental blog post on Tesla’s website is the answer. The features should be removed entirely from the new order page until, and if, they are made available again.

They are saying the features should be removed from the new order page because they do not, and cannot, exist on any new vehicles currently.

I don’t think a supplemental blog post on Tesla’s website is the answer. The features should be removed entirely from the new order page until, and if, they are made available again.
Well, Tesla obviously disputes whether the features cannot exist on the current hardware config. In fact, they promise it will. Well, almost promise, they have put in a few weasel words.

They probably would do well to change where they say you get "Auto Park" to "Auto Park after future planned software update" to tell you that IF they get that software update, the customer will get it for free.

I gotta say that EAP is a pretty sucky package this way. Just don't buy it and wait for if and when they delivery it. Navigate on Autopilot is annoying and I turn it off. Auto lane change (with turn signal trigger) is a nice feature, and I use it, but would not pay $6K for it. However, I would like it, if I didn't have this, for the car to let me change lanes manually if I turn on the signal without disengage of autosteer.

Whatever point they were trying to make (which is not mine to judge) it definitely could have been made in one of the dozens of current threads on the topic of tesla vision.

"For a short period of time during this transition"

Define "short period" according to Tesla's time :)

Is that legally understood as a few years or a few decades?
I expect Tesla feels it will arrive before too long. In general, they would not normally remove a sensor and disable features deliberately. I presume it's a mistake -- they expected the software to be ready, they retooled the plant to stop putting in ultrasonics and then whoops, the software wasn't ready.
With radars, it was not quite like that, they were probably having a hard time getting the radars so pulled it before it was ready. They did get stuff mostly working without the radar, got AP back up to 85mph but there is a lot of debate on whether they really got it fully working.

The alternative explanation is a bit odd, that they deliberately disabled a major checklist feature to save $90. But it's not impossible.

Reactions: Mullermn
Yes this is frustrating for owners and understandably so. Poorly implemented change by Tesla.

Unfortunately only options are to cancel order/delay delivery or wait for the software update. It could be some time before the features are enabled by software update. I think there are still some minor AP limitations from when they removed radar.

Can somebody confirm for me -- if you just have basic AP, are you able to change lanes automatically when driving in AP by just using the turn signal? Or is that an EAP feature? I am not talking about how in EAP/Nav-on-AP it will notice the car in front of you is going too slow and change lanes for you, just the ability to change lanes without disengaging.

Can somebody confirm for me -- if you just have basic AP, are you able to change lanes automatically when driving in AP by just using the turn signal?
There is no Auto Lane Change until you pay $15,000 for FSD or less for EAP.

Or is that an EAP feature?
Yes, it is. Both FSD and EAP has that very same Auto Lane Change feature even with different prices.
...the ability to change lanes without disengaging.
That will cost you EAP or FSD price. Pick your choice.

I can confirm on the Tesla Vision version of the 2023 M3LR, Auto Lane Change works. Summon, Smart Summon and Auto Park are still unavailable. I haven’t tried Navigate on AP, but I suspect that it would work.

For a period of time Tesla had lane change on ap1 by turning on the signal. But yes newer cars you have to purchase eap.
When I got my car there was no AP/EAP difference. The car came with no AP, and you could only buy what they called EAP to which they added features like "smart" summon, Nav-on-AP etc. One of the features they added was turn-signal triggered lane change in AP.

So is that what you refer to or was there a time that people who bought a car which included "basic AP" and with that basic AP they got turn signal lane change? And later they took it away from basic AP, but not the grandfathered cars?

To my personal tastes, turn-signal lane change is pretty much all I use from "EAP." I use smart park once a month maybe. Can't see spending $6K for just that, but some people do. I would be pissed at losing smart park and park alert if I had paid $6K for them. As we all know, smart summon isn't smart, and regular summon is not useful except for a few people who have garages they can't get out of the car in.

Nav on autopilot I find discomforting, but others like it so perhaps that's what they are paying $6K for?