Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decided *to* buy roadster after testdrive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my test drive was in CA - however I must say I got a dud for a sales rep...... the salesrep kept saying didn't even like sports cars..... sigh...... maybe that turned me off a bit as well..... and was telling me more of what has gone wrong with the cars than anything good..... sigh for ex. supposedly the door handles break alot????

Last edited:
The challenge of seeing traffic lights when seated in a Roadster can be solved with a traffic light finder such as was popular in the 1930s and 1940s. One source is Juliano's Hot Rod Parts & Interior Products - Custom Car & Street Rod Accessories and there are some on EBay. Julianos charges $15.
Here
signal_finder_suction.jpg

@Decided not to buy.
Your call, of course, but I take friendly issue with some things you said.
We live in the Colorado mountains, have Pirelli snows on our roadster, and drive it 60 to 80 miles every day, except for deep snow. It's small, but so is a Miata, or a Boxter, or my m-coupe. My 6 foot, 220 lb. cousin came and drove it and says it's way more comfortable than his Lotus. No surprise. Handling on the Roadster Sport is adjustable, both shocks and sway bars. I'll be doing an ice autocross in February, and regular autocrosses from March on, so we'll know more about handling soon. If you are used to sports cars, this is as comfortable as most, and more fun than almost anything.

"...you will get an enthusiastic salesman..."

And if you don't, let me know who he is. I shall hook him to the back of the car and drag him to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds. :) The only fitting end for an unenthusiastic car salesman.

I've got 14K miles on my 2008 Roadster. My Carrera Cab sits in my driveway with my wife bugging me to sell it. Comparison of the two (both great) cars:

Fun factor: the Tesla is just flat-out more fun to drive. The Porsche seems so slow now (it never did before!). The 911 brakes are better and over 100 it's quicker, but I don't drive that speed a lot. The Roadster is my daily driver.

Range: if have have to drive more than 150 miles I take the 911.

Space: yeah it's small. I'm 6'2" and 185 lbs ... getting in and out is a little interesting but once inside it's comfortable though cozy with 2. But if I have to carry anything I take the Porsche. You can put a lot in a 911's back seat ... I once had a 50cc Honda scooter plus a lot of padding in there. Can't do that in a Roadster.

Comfort to drive a long time: I've been fine in the Roadster, but that seems like something you better try before you're sure. This is the one thing that seems to me might be a deal-breaker.

Minor surprises: I discovered I -love- not going to gas stations. And I'm hooked on the regen.

Bottom line: both wonderful cars; in my experience, basically a tradeoff of some practicality in exchange for raw fun factor. Astonishing for a Carrera to be on the left hand side of that equation.

Anyone owned a Roadster, liked it so much he bought another one (once he totaled the 1st) thus validating the 1st purchase? Oh, that would be me.

We've all known people that will tell you what they have or what they've done is the "best" but then when they get or do something else, they'll tell you that they've changed their mind and what they said was the "best" really wasn't, but what they have or are doing now is the "best." Then some time later they recant again. Do they realize how their credibility is shot? Well, I'll tell you that I liked it so much that I went and got another one & I could have walked away from the Tesla experience satiated and moved on to another "experience." But I chose another Roadster.

If you want to invest in the new millennium as opposed to joining the new FaceBook group FOT (Friends of Terrorists) then you'll look to Tesla. Do you realize that with a touch of a button, if you have a problem your 2010 Tesla Roadster can wirelessly upload your computer's diagnostics to Tesla who can then send you back a fix or tell you what the problem may be?
but it is a rocket!! just a very very small rocket
Maurice "Rocket" Richard was an amazing hockey player in the '40s & '50s, but his brother, Henri "Pocket Rocket" was also a Hall of Famer. The "pocket rocket" is also a type of vibrator with a huge following. It's not so bad to be the pocket rocket!
my test drive was at menlo park - however I must say I got a dud for a sales rep...... the salesrep kept saying didn't even like sports cars..... sigh...... maybe that turned me off a bit as well..... and was telling me more of what has gone wrong with the cars than anything good..... sigh for ex. supposedly the door handles break a lot????

Honestly this was the most disturbing of all the comments. Not the door handle issue; I use it ALMOST every time I get out of the car & never had a problem, but that your sales rep was a downer! Someone should convey this to Tesla Menlo Park.

thx for the input - I'm thinking I am in need of a second test drive......
Down in So. Cal we hang out at www.SuperCarSunday.com and offer test rides all the time. Maybe there is an equivalent up in No. Cal?
Ciao, Ian O:)

my test drive was at menlo park - however I must say I got a dud for a sales rep...... the salesrep kept saying didn't even like sports cars..... sigh...... maybe that turned me off a bit as well..... and was telling me more of what has gone wrong with the cars than anything good..... sigh for ex. supposedly the door handles break alot????

Might I ask your sales persons name?

The handles get stuck at the dealer because they lock the car when it is outside, then uneducated people attempt to open the doors. When they are unsuccessful with a light push they usually hang themselves off of the touchpad jamming it into the door. THIS IS NOT EASY TO DO!

Trust me... I watched it happen all summer...

If you PM me I would be glad to talk to you about your menlo park experience and make suggestions for your second visit. I do believe the roadster is worth a second drive...

I implore you to try it again, and again, and again.

I agree, you should give it another shot, if even just to get a rep in car that's better suited to you know... actual sales. But if you don't like it, you don't like it, no sense in forcing it (especially with the Model S and other EVs on the horizon). Do what works for you, and not what others say should work for you.

A recent drive in the R8 reminded me of how disconnected you can feel.

:confused: :confused:

Thought I would update my status:

After trying to convince myself not to purchase a roadster - I simply could not help myself any longer - and have ordered up an electric blue roadster......expecting in June.

Thought through my initial concerns - and after hearing alot of current owners enjoyment of the car - and my own fascination with it - am going to have a fun summer with it I expect!!

oh ya this will be #938

:)