TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Decided *to* buy roadster after testdrive

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by stenkb, Jan 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957 Model X ?

Thanks for the invite!

Haven't been to Seattle yet - so you never know.... :)

Now the hard part - waiting for delivery of the car......... :(

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Congrats. Is it a 6-week waiting period? At one point I read somewhere TM was trying to narrow down the wait period.

3. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957 Model X ?

My car was locked in approx. April 1 ....so that is putting delivery about 2 1/2 months - 3 months - because I am told mid June - and I'm sure like most things will be a bit late - prob end of June.

So 6 weeks...... I wish.....

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

April 1st??!??

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Must be ~ 100 Roadsters waiting on the production line before you get yours.

6. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

7. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

As stated elsewhere, there are different VIN sequences for different areas.
    So, for instance, that North American VIN under 1,000 doesn't take into account all the VINs made for Europe.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I was promised three months, but I got notice of impending delivery over a month early. Their estimates may be conservative (under-promise, over-deliver) or there may be a lot of variation.

Just a guess, but I suspect the gliders arrive in fairly big batches. I've seen photos of the Menlo Park store garage packed with cars, but when I visited there last October it was almost empty. If they are batched, then the processing time might vary depending on whether your order came in near the beginning of a batch or the end.

9. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

There was a lull/gap between the last of the 2008's and the start of the 2010's so you might have seen it then. I think they also took the opportunity to do some seismic upgrades and install a dyno in the shop. For a while they were rushing to satisfy the backlog/pre-orders so the shop was overflowing there a bit, but now that things are caught up I think it is more of an even flow.

(But I haven't actually visited their MP store in quite a while now.)

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay, perhaps that was an exception. So we can't draw any conclusions about batch size from that.

Uh, oh... I'm about to get all "engineer" on you...

<nerd>

Let's assume, then, that they have a steady stream of gliders and drive components, and therefore have a fairly constant rate of production -- a steady N vehicles per week. The queuing time would then vary depending on whether the rate of arrival of new orders instantaneously exceeded their average production rate.

As I recall, that sort of situation is easily modeled and results in a simple probability distribution; I could even figure it out if I wasn't so lazy. Maybe I should dig up my old university textbook. :smile:

Anyway, the upshot is they'd have to promise a processing time that was greater than the average expected time, in order to ensure that very few were delivered late. If we assume they use 2X, then a promise of 3 months would mean that a large number of customers would get theirs in 6 weeks. That seems to fit with observations.

</nerd>

11. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

The logistics of getting the cars completed probably gets complicated at times. From factory closures due to holidays, to parts suppliers running out of a small part, it probably trends towards chaotic more than some would like.

12. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Ah, so basically Tesla's announcement on 1,000 units sold was globally where as the #989 reported by stenkb is the 989th unit for wherever he is located, correct? If that's right this means there will be at least two "VIN 1000" units, one in the U.S. and one in the U.K., in addition to whatever areas Tesla sells a Roadster where different VINs are used.

13. TEG

TEG Teslafanatic

I don't know exactly how they do VIN sequencing for European or Japanese Roadsters, but yes, there can be more than 1000 Roadsters made/delivered globally while some VIN sequences remain with last digits less than 1000. I think they can pre-reserve special VIN #s, and skip around as needed. For instance, this article suggests that production Roadster #1000 was made as a North American roadster with North American VIN sequence #1000 back in January: http://www.energyboom.com/transportation/tesla-celebrates-1000th-electric-car But they may have skipped ahead in the VIN sequence to make the VIN# match the production number for historical and marketing reasons. Meanwhile they could still have had some North American VIN#s under 1000 unused and backfill them later. Another thing that can happen is you buy a car and get an out of sequence VIN because it was from a chassis made a while back but not fully built out until later. One example of such a thing would be where they want to do a run of paint in a certain color and get a break by doing them in batches to paint for example 50 cars in a row. So lets say they make 50 Red ones, deliver most of them to pending customers and store the others for later when someone orders one in that color. So some chassis, or semi-completed Roadsters could be in storage somewhere waiting for the right kind of order and meanwhile some higher numbered ones get delivered before. Anyways, I don't really know how it all works, but my real point is that it is not as simple as just bumping a universal VIN # by 1 each time a chassis comes off the line and delivering them all in sequence.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There are also 100 Signature cars with their own vin sequence and EP and VP cars which are also numbered and count to overall Tesla made. Some of them apparently been sold as well.