Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decided to cancel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day One online (first 24h) here. I have not been invited. First delivery was listed as Nov-Jan, second delivery Feb-Apr, third delivery May-July. Unless something bizarre occurs the next delivery target will be Aug-Oct. Then back to Nov-Jan again. This for an Invite.

If I wanted a car that wasn't 3LR PUP, I imagine the wait will be much longer.

I'll cancel if the Jaguar iPace becomes available first, or GM does something interesting for 2019.

It is frustrating having zero truthful information about the Model 3 except the features and price on the 3LR. No scheduling, no real options, no accurate info on non-PUP, AWD, or Performance variants. At least nothing written in stone.

I did get a chuckle out the $35k speech. But I got suckered into thinking that the actual price will blow through the queue far faster than it did. If I was told $50k to start and 'late 2018' at POS, I would have bought something fun while waiting, maybe a used Model S or Roadster. The carrot on a stick crap is a crappy way to sell $60-80k cars.

Now the non-whining part:

If the environment is so critical then why:
  • People who drive to stores, sometimes long distances get first place in delivery queues when it can be done on-line.
  • Title transfers allowed scalping, hence making less wealthy ICE drivers wait longer for EV cars.
  • People with EVs get first deliveries, not people driving Hummers.
  • Accurate timetables would have had more people driving EVs while waiting.

This is short sighted.

The environment IS so critical.

Which is why Tesla is taking a long-term view of BOTH transitioning transportation and STAYING ALIVE, i.e. not going bankrupt in the process.

They have everybody and their oil baron out trying to sue them and kill their business. From the top to the bottom (stealerships). Practically all the media is hammering Tesla as well.

Why take unnecessary risks like killing your cash flow? Just have a little patience, the ramp up is clearly happening, and they are selling more electric cars than everyone else combined. Which is clearly helpful to the environment. It will only improve as long as they don't do something stupid, like sell short-range, non PUP cars before they have sold all the high-margin cars they can.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is short sighted.

The environment IS so critical.

Which is why Tesla is taking a long-term view of BOTH transitioning transportation and STAYING ALIVE, i.e. not going bankrupt in the process.

They have everybody and their oil baron out trying to sue them and kill their business. From the top to the bottom (stealerships). Practically all the media is hammering Tesla as well.

Why take unnecessary risks like killing your cash flow? Just have a little patience, the ramp up is clearly happening, and they are selling more electric cars than everyone else combined. Which is clearly helpful to the environment. It will only improve as long as they don't do something stupid, like sell short-range, non PUP cars before they have sold all the high-margin cars they can.

I live 2.5 miles from work which are both in arid desert. They cut down no trees, leveled no mountains, or drained any wetlands, built any dams, or killed any fish to build my office or my home. Our water comes from wells. This was not accidental. We moved both the business and house to be more centrally located to my customers and team members.

Instead of buying 1 P85D, I bought 3 EREVs and 24 kW worth of solar, same price. So not only are over 90% of our miles for 4 drivers EV miles, all that power comes from sunshine with >2/3 left over to provide high tech jobs in a paper-less office without doing massive harm to wildlife habitat.

So exactly how is buying a Tesla Model 3 going to help the environment?

Yes, I reserved one because I wanted one. I was already 90% EV miles when I reserved, since we only had 3 drivers.

Technically, to Save The Blunt Nose Stripped Whale Bird, I should cancel my reservation since that would keep somebody else from driving on electricity.

And I have no customers that are oil-related. Intel sells chips to Exxon, Apple sells them phones, Microsoft sells them software, Hammermill sells them paper, construction companies build for them, lawyers litigate for them, government workers handle documents for them, but me? Maybe if their CEO needs a heart valve, or wants to buy satellites, nada.

But I'm not Green For Fashion. I think a Prius is a bad joke and set EV tech back 10 years. I like EVs because they are a superior propulsion technology and fun to drive. I have solar because it will be a profit center for me in 2.5-3.0 years. A great investment.

I want a Model 3 to have fun with it. Not to carry baby seals from one sanctuary city to another, I can do that with a Suburban.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsf29
Im close to cancelling. Really need the utility of a SUV or at the very least a liftback. The Model3 is so compelling I talked myself into overlooking some of the aspects I really need in a car.

In a way it’s a shame that Tesla was so successful with the S and X as I’m betting it would probably be more handy to have the tax credits selling 35k cars than it would be selling 100k cars.
========================================
--so order an X or an S. We have both an S and a 3, they are wonderful cars

I live 2.5 miles from work which are both in arid desert. They cut down no trees, leveled no mountains, or drained any wetlands, built any dams, or killed any fish to build my office or my home. Our water comes from wells. This was not accidental. We moved both the business and house to be more centrally located to my customers and team members.

Instead of buying 1 P85D, I bought 3 EREVs and 24 kW worth of solar, same price. So not only are over 90% of our miles for 4 drivers EV miles, all that power comes from sunshine with >2/3 left over to provide high tech jobs in a paper-less office without doing massive harm to wildlife habitat.

So exactly how is buying a Tesla Model 3 going to help the environment?

Yes, I reserved one because I wanted one. I was already 90% EV miles when I reserved, since we only had 3 drivers.

Technically, to Save The Blunt Nose Stripped Whale Bird, I should cancel my reservation since that would keep somebody else from driving on electricity.

And I have no customers that are oil-related. Intel sells chips to Exxon, Apple sells them phones, Microsoft sells them software, Hammermill sells them paper, construction companies build for them, lawyers litigate for them, government workers handle documents for them, but me? Maybe if their CEO needs a heart valve, or wants to buy satellites, nada.

But I'm not Green For Fashion. I think a Prius is a bad joke and set EV tech back 10 years. I like EVs because they are a superior propulsion technology and fun to drive. I have solar because it will be a profit center for me in 2.5-3.0 years. A great investment.

I want a Model 3 to have fun with it. Not to carry baby seals from one sanctuary city to another, I can do that with a Suburban.
Apparently, you're only speaking for yourself. Most of us definitely are not in the same situation as yours and don't have the same luxury. Take me for example. I live in a city where it's covered by smog on a daily basis. The only time I could see the mountains from the distance is after it rains. And it only rains a few times a year. Traffic is backed up the wazoo. Sometimes, it takes 45 minutes to travel 15 miles. And every square feet of real estate is taken advantage of; they build houses that if you open the windows and reach out, you might touch your neighbor's window. Wildlife habitat is non-existent. If my kids want to see some, we'd have to go to national parks that are hours away. So, you're right. What you decide to do hardly changes anything for the world. But what the rest of us do just might.

Apparently, you're only speaking for yourself. Most of us definitely are not in the same situation as yours and don't have the same luxury. Take me for example. I live in a city where it's covered by smog on a daily basis. The only time I could see the mountains from the distance is after it rains. And it only rains a few times a year. Traffic is backed up the wazoo. Sometimes, it takes 45 minutes to travel 15 miles. And every square feet of real estate is taken advantage of; they build houses that if you open the windows and reach out, you might touch your neighbor's window. Wildlife habitat is non-existent. If my kids want to see some, we'd have to go to national parks that are hours away. So, you're right. What you decide to do hardly changes anything for the world. But what the rest of us do just might.

I've lived in Fountain Valley, Westminster, and Garden Grove, back when there were smog alerts and leaded gasoline. I watched it go from farmland and a bedroom community for LA County businesses, into a commercial region in it's own right. I drive through Orange several times a month. Some of my biggest customers are in Orange County.

You should have seen Southern California in the 1960's and 1970's. You couldn't see the stop lights on the worst summer days. It was orange-brown and hurt to breath. They are tearing down your mountains to build houses, drive through Anaheim Hills or Yorba Linda. And the coastal wetlands are already houses for the most part. Orange County even had a dragstrip I raced at.

Today the air is several times clearer. But understand the view you have of the mountains is not obscured by smog. It's literally dirt and humidity. We have days that are a clear as a bell, and the next day, the mountains are blurry. Today is a blurry day. It's not smog, it's a Sunday, cool, and windy. I can tell by looking at my solar production peaks. Today is weak, the air is not as clear as Friday. It's 10% less clear.

But I chose to leave Orange County when it became too crowded, and moved inland.

I'm amazed that you haven't been invited. I'm sure you know that the invites don't always get emailed, and you've checked the actual account. But, I also know lots of people like myself have deferred until the AWD version becomes available.

I'm completely against the way they handled the release. They should have started with the AWD LR version, and then worked their way down. But, they should have been clear about where they outlined the reasons why, etc.

Of it being the best way to remain profitable, and in business while also not cannibalizing sales of the Model S. Or causing too big of an immediate depreciation hit.

There should not have been prioritization of existing owners. All it really did was give people who already took advantage of the tax credit once the chance to do it again. The Model 3 is priced with the expectation that the tax credit will disappear so prioritize people based on when they reserved, and don't play any silly games with it.

Tesla claimed that it was to reward existing owners, but was it really? It seems to me that it was an useful tool to force new buyers into getting a more expensive Model S instead. The existing owners already had one, and weren't likely to get the same thing so soon after buying it.

To an average person the way Tesla handled it was classic bait and switch.

Where everyone's excuse was "that's just Elon overpromising again, and that wasn't purposeful".

At some point it starts to really look purposeful.

Tesla was burning $8,000 PER MINUTE.

I think last I heard it’s only $6,500 now.

They were in an impossible situation with the 3. Cash burn and ramp was so bad they had to antisell it and underreport the range and performance.

It’s business 1A to sell the most expensive products for as much as you can for as long as you can.

Tesla doesn’t have a choice in the manner. They had to go for maximum margin, lowest complexity. I’m surprised TSLA is only 30% off ATH versus 40 or 50 so they are navigating it pretty well.