Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding between 2019 Model X Standard Range vs 2020 Model X Long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am in the market looking at a used Model X. I am a little iffy about ordering from Tesla as they don't put the real pics and also no opportunity to test drive the used car. I have narrowed it down to two models available locally. One is 2019 Model X SR and one is 2020 Model X LR. Both have autopilot only and that's fine with me. With my Model 3 for past 4 years, I never even used any features EAP. I am posting the system info page for both. It will be good to hear opinions of you experts :).

2019 Model X: (37K miles, $61K)
6QDZSAQAOG47TGIYGEOMRRLC3U-cr-540.jpg

1677439125598.png

2020 Model X LR: (16Kmiles, $70k)
2019-Tesla-MODEL-X-100D-AWD-5YJXCAE29KF198801-6081.jpeg

1677439262261.png

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks a bunch!

100% Long Range. Also 16K miles! You'll appreciate that over time if you are going to keep it for a long time.

I'm not sure I'd post the VINs ... I'd put a deposit down so someone doesn't snatch it out from under you.
Thanks. The VIN numbers are posted by the dealer. I just copied the pictures from them and masked the cell IMEI. Most of the dealers don't understand the risk of posting all those information.

I was looking today at Tesla used inventory. They have a 2019 fully loaded with FSD for 66K. I guess I will wait a day or 2 for the price to drop to pull the trigger. Should I worry anything about buying from Tesla when it comes to cosmetics?

Thanks. The VIN numbers are posted by the dealer. I just copied the pictures from them and masked the cell IMEI. Most of the dealers don't understand the risk of posting all those information.

I was looking today at Tesla used inventory. They have a 2019 fully loaded with FSD for 66K. I guess I will wait a day or 2 for the price to drop to pull the trigger. Should I worry anything about buying from Tesla when it comes to cosmetics?
Of course, the dealer would post the VIN. I was saying if those were the vehicles that you were interested in then I wouldn't post pictures with the VINs in case someone took them out from under you when they saw your post. HTH

It is unclear if you understand the importance of getting a Long Range but maybe you buy diff cars regularly so you don't care about keeping it long or don't do roadtrips of any length.

Thanks. I should have removed the VINs too.
I am actually more interested in long range as I would use this will replace my gas SUV for long trips apart from regular driving. I intend to keep the car for long time. My gas sedan was bought in 2005 and at 150K miles. My Model 3 is almost 4 years old now.

Reactions: scottf200
Thanks. I should have removed the VINs too.
I am actually more interested in long range as I would use this will replace my gas SUV for long trips apart from regular driving. I intend to keep the car for long time. My gas sedan was bought in 2005 and at 150K miles. My Model 3 is almost 4 years old now.
If it were me, I would wait until after March 1st announcement because depending on what Elon says there could be a wave of new model X trade-in's for sale and higher demand for a +2023 X which should push down the price of used X's.

Who knows, maybe they offer a 79k standard RWD X later this year or next year to take advantage of the IRS tax credit. About a 6-9% chance of that happening so don't hold your breath.

Reactions: Richbot and Bidyut
Don't get an SR if you plan to road trip the car IMO. Slow charging plus small battery is not a recipe for fun. I don't think the SR charges any faster than a 75D either, I think that was only the big battery cars

If this is going to be a 10 year purchase, get something else, IMO, or hold out for a Refresh car in a couple years. The pre-refresh cars are not future-proof and you'll be wishing you'd held out for a newer one 5 years from now. The charging speed is a bummer on road trips for the pre-refresh cars, unless you are fine with 20-30 minute charge stops every 1.5-2 hours as a matter of routine practice, then go for it I guess

Or get a Model Y for around the same money and get the fast charging and efficiency double-whammy

Also if you don't need 6 or 7 seats, the Ioniq5 is surprisingly big and charges fast, with decent range if you get the right big battery, 2wd trim

Reactions: chobra and Bidyut
If it were me, I would wait until after March 1st announcement because depending on what Elon says there could be a wave of new model X trade-in's for sale and higher demand for a +2023 X which should push down the price of used X's.

Who knows, maybe they offer a 79k standard RWD X later this year or next year to take advantage of the IRS tax credit. About a 6-9% chance of that happening so don't hold your breath.

But I, too, would like a big-battery, range-optimized, Model X with around 400hp and around 375 miles of "rated" range, at around that price, to get all the new interior stuff, and the fast charging, and the space compared to Model Y. I'd order that car as soon as it was offered to replace ours before it's out of bumper-to-bumper, tax credit or not. Big gap between Model Y and Model X right now...

But I think it's equally likely they'll announce X is discontinued after they finish filling orders. Or announce Model X will only be leased. Or announce they're launching them all into the sun when they come back from lease returns so they never have to fix them again.

Reactions: chobra
Don't get an SR if you plan to road trip the car IMO. Slow charging plus small battery is not a recipe for fun. I don't think the SR charges any faster than a 75D either, I think that was only the big battery cars

If this is going to be a 10 year purchase, get something else, IMO, or hold out for a Refresh car in a couple years. The pre-refresh cars are not future-proof and you'll be wishing you'd held out for a newer one 5 years from now. The charging speed is a bummer on road trips for the pre-refresh cars, unless you are fine with 20-30 minute charge stops every 1.5-2 hours as a matter of routine practice, then go for it I guess

Or get a Model Y for around the same money and get the fast charging and efficiency double-whammy

Also if you don't need 6 or 7 seats, the Ioniq5 is surprisingly big and charges fast, with decent range if you get the right big battery, 2wd trim
Buying a Tesla is becoming like buying an iPhone. With every refresh, you get some changes either on chip or on some material changes. I guess we are soon getting into the world where technology changes in Tesla will be faster and more frequent.

The 2020LR has the Raven suspension.
I agree. It should. But look at OP's screenshots of the 2020. It has standard air suspension instead of adaptive and front motor is induction instead of Permanent Magnet. Plus, it's presented as a 100D (Ravens are Standard Range, Long Range and Performance). I would confirm this is really a 2020 model because it doesn't look like a Raven to me - and to my knowledge, all 2020 MXs should be Ravens.

Reactions: Richbot
I agree. It should. But look at OP's screenshots of the 2020. It has standard air suspension instead of adaptive and front motor is induction instead of Permanent Magnet. Plus, it's presented as a 100D (Ravens are Standard Range, Long Range and Performance). I would confirm this is really a 2020 model because it doesn't look like a Raven to me - and to my knowledge, all 2020 MXs should be Ravens.
Hi,

I reached out to the dealer and he confirmed that it's 2019, not 2020. That's a great catch!

Thanks

We are looking at different pictures, the 2nd pic labeled underneath as 2020 shows adaptive air and PM front drive unit.

Last edited: