Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding between 2019 Model X Standard Range vs 2020 Model X Long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2020 is a LR Raven. No?

GSP
It should be...
Buying a Tesla is becoming like buying an iPhone. With every refresh, you get some changes either on chip or on some material changes. I guess we are soon getting into the world where technology changes in Tesla will be faster and more frequent.
This is not like that. The functionality of my 14 is not appreciably differnt from my 8 or my 6s. The difference between long-distance (like, 500+ miles) road tripping in a long range, fast-charging car is more like the difference between a flip phone powered by AA's and an iphone. For around-town stuff, it makes zero difference, and on short 200 mile or less trips, it's not that big a deal, but on long road trips, it really is that big of a deal. You'll have to decide if you want to take a totally different approach to road tripping than you're used to, and with a short-range, slow-charging car like the 75D/SR, you'll have a lot of time to contemplate your life choices if it turns out you don't like it...

I get the impulse to compare cars to phones because they both have batteries, but an out of date phone can't cause a road trip to take 50% longer than it would with a gas car in cold weather. It's a really, really big difference.

My advice (same advice my brother in law got when he bought a 75D) get the Model X if you want it, but rent something or have a second gas car for long road trips.

And all of this is coming from somebody who really likes road tripping his slow-charging Model X, because the stops are worth the hassle for driver/passenger fatigue. It just raises alarm bells when somebody says "I want a Model X that will be lucky to do 150 miles from 100% to 0% on the highway to replace my big gas truck for road trips!" Just doing a sanity check here!

Last edited:
It should be...

This is not like that. The functionality of my 14 is not appreciably differnt from my 8 or my 6s. The difference between long-distance (like, 500+ miles) road tripping in a long range, fast-charging car is more like the difference between a flip phone powered by AA's and an iphone. For around-town stuff, it makes zero difference, and on short 200 mile or less trips, it's not that big a deal, but on long road trips, it really is that big of a deal. You'll have to decide if you want to take a totally different approach to road tripping than you're used to, and with a short-range, slow-charging car like the 75D/SR, you'll have a lot of time to contemplate your life choices if it turns out you don't like it...

I get the impulse to compare cars to phones because they both have batteries, but an out of date phone can't cause a road trip to take 50% longer than it would with a gas car in cold weather. It's a really, really big difference.

My advice (same advice my brother in law got when he bought a 75D) get the Model X if you want it, but rent something or have a second gas car for long road trips.

And all of this is coming from somebody who really likes road tripping his slow-charging Model X, because the stops are worth the hassle for driver/passenger fatigue. It just raises alarm bells when somebody says "I want a Model X that will be lucky to do 150 miles from 100% to 0% on the highway to replace my big gas truck for road trips!" Just doing a sanity check here!
When I look at Teslas, at least the used market, there are way too many options for anybody figure out what exactly they are getting. And that makes me feel like how iPhone has created so many different variations that it's hard for somebody to be sure on what they getting, if they don't spend a week or so studying every feature of it. On top of it, the consistent name changing adds more confusion. I guess starting from mid 2019 (post-Raven), the are sticking to a limited set of names. But in used market, you have the following: 75D, 90D, 100D, P100D, SR, LR, LR+. Add slow charging, fast charing option into that combination. Apart from that, somebody also need to know MCU1 or MCU 2, 1.0 computer, 2.0 computer, 2.5 computer, self driving capable(they didn't stick with the numbering system). Take all these options and we can see how many combinations one can get when they are looking at car. Definitely not easy for a person to buy an used Tesla.

About your long range opinion, I agree. I don't think I am ever thinking of going from place A to place B with a single charge. Whoever has that expectation, should never buy an EV as of now. Driving a M3, I definitely know what to expect when it comes to charging. Would I take my M3 for a long trip. I would love to as it's the LR version. But the only reason I don't take it because the kids don't like to sit for 2-3 hours in the back sear. Definitely MX will solve that problem. They kids love being in the gas SUV for long trips and will feel the same with MX.

It should be...

This is not like that. The functionality of my 14 is not appreciably differnt from my 8 or my 6s. The difference between long-distance (like, 500+ miles) road tripping in a long range, fast-charging car is more like the difference between a flip phone powered by AA's and an iphone. For around-town stuff, it makes zero difference, and on short 200 mile or less trips, it's not that big a deal, but on long road trips, it really is that big of a deal.

OMG, that is your opinion (and mine as well) but there are so many people for which the miniscule difference between iPhones is a huge difference. For some TikTok types, it could be worth millions of dollars.

When I look at Teslas, at least the used market, there are way too many options for anybody figure out what exactly they are getting. And that makes me feel like how iPhone has created so many different variations that it's hard for somebody to be sure on what they getting, if they don't spend a week or so studying every feature of it. On top of it, the consistent name changing adds more confusion. I guess starting from mid 2019 (post-Raven), the are sticking to a limited set of names. But in used market, you have the following: 75D, 90D, 100D, P100D, SR, LR, LR+. Add slow charging, fast charing option into that combination. Apart from that, somebody also need to know MCU1 or MCU 2, 1.0 computer, 2.0 computer, 2.5 computer, self driving capable(they didn't stick with the numbering system). Take all these options and we can see how many combinations one can get when they are looking at car. Definitely not easy for a person to buy an used Tesla.

About your long range opinion, I agree. I don't think I am ever thinking of going from place A to place B with a single charge. Whoever has that expectation, should never buy an EV as of now. Driving a M3, I definitely know what to expect when it comes to charging. Would I take my M3 for a long trip. I would love to as it's the LR version. But the only reason I don't take it because the kids don't like to sit for 2-3 hours in the back sear. Definitely MX will solve that problem. They kids love being in the gas SUV for long trips and will feel the same with MX.

Don't compare. List the feature that you need, the feature that you want and anything that you don't want.
Look at the Bluebook estimates for each option and see if they are priced above or below market.

For example between
75D, 90D, 100D, P100D, SR, LR, LR+
75D and SR drop off of my personal list. The difference in the others is not that big of a deal.
The P is nice, but not ready to pay for it, unless it is obnoxiously cheap.

Reactions: Npate2 and Bidyut
Don't compare. List the feature that you need, the feature that you want and anything that you don't want.
Look at the Bluebook estimates for each option and see if they are priced above or below market.

For example between

75D and SR drop off of my personal list. The difference in the others is not that big of a deal.
The P is nice, but not ready to pay for it, unless it is obnoxiously cheap.
Yesterday, I created a spreadsheet and used abetterrouteplanner to see how 2019 SR, LR and 100D varied when it comes to charging time for a trip to Tahoe and Disneyland, LA. Based on that, SR is out of my list. I don't see much difference between LR and 100D except 100D taking a couple of minutes more to charge.
So that boils down to buying LR or 100D. And that basically means pre-Raven or Raven. Thanks for the bluebook suggestion.
I will go through Bluebook to see what the price is and will make a decision based on that.

Seems like early Ravens are starting to get really reasonably priced, but I wouldn't be afraid of a 100D either after driving quite a few 2018-ish 100D loaners/test drive during my own search. Back when I was looking in 2020, new ones were cheaper and more plentiful than used ones, so I'm envious of the selection you have now

Why are you envious? Isn't it good to get a new model cheaper than used model?

I finally pulled the trigger and reserved a early 2019 model X 100D from Tesla. Fully loaded except Carbon decor. Keeping my finger crossed that the car is in pristine condition. 😀

Thank you all for taking your time to give me all the advices making the decision process easy for me.

Reactions: Richbot and Npate2
Envious because of the selection! Still would rather have had a 2 year old 30,000 mile for $65k than a new one for $85k! But back then a used 100D was $~80k if you could find one at all. Oh well. Can’t complain too much. Something other than refrigerator white would have been nice too but I couldn’t justify buying myself $2000 paint

Just wanted to give an update on this. I got my 2019 Model X 100D. I was a little disappointed with the Tesla advisor promising something and not following through. I wanted the car to be delivered at the Tesla center that's 10 miles away from me. They said yes before I submitted my deposit. However, after the deposit, they sang a different tune and delivered my car to the center that's 50 miles away.

Anyways, everything else was very smooth. I inspected the car. It was in excellent condition. No scratches or anything except a thin paint chip at the floor where the hatch closes. I was a bit nervous about it knowing the amount of tolerance Tesla allows for used cars. But I guess I was lucked out. I found that the towing hitch was not there. After talking to the delivery agent, I put an order through service menu on the app. And it will be delivered on Sunday free of charge. I liked that Tesla honored that. There is a degradation in the battery. Instead of 295 miles at 100%, it's 272 miles at 100%. I guess it all depends on the previous owner's charging practice. The car has 41k miles on it.

Overall, I am very happy with the car. Nothing to complain about. I will give a great thumbs up for Tesla service on the used car quality.

On another note, I am impressed that Tesla replaced the driver side seat belt harness of my M3 for free outside of warranty as it was displaying some error.