Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding between Model 3 2019 Long Range vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I currently reside in San Diego and only have about a 15 mile commute to work, one way every day. Occasionally I will take a road trip to LA or further, but it really doesn't happen often. I'm looking to replace my daily driver with a Tesla model 3, but I'm really conflicted between the Long Range (18" or 19" wheels) vs Performance.

Money isn't a factoring in at the moment as I can comfortably afford the performance, but I'm somewhat practical. I'm a bit concerned about the 20" wheels specifically related to damage and range. Theres some good posts about this, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback from those that have test driven both models or have even owned both. Or those that were glad that they didn't get the performance in hind sight.

From what I can tell the performance model, with a 10k USD increase will get me:
  • Quicker acceleration: 0-60 mph in 3.2s (sounds great)
  • 20” Performance Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
San Diego has some pretty crap roads in the down town area I'm pretty concerned about the wheels. Weather is always great though.

I guess I don't want to feel like I've really missed out by not purchasing the performance model. Very conflicted.

Also I will charge at home.

Thanks everyone!