Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding on black or white interior with Black exterior paint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey first post here. I’m looking to purchase a Model Y in black, but I’m struggling to decide on the black or white interior. I’d prefer a black interior due to not having to maintain it as often as white (so I hear) and the white being “too white”, but I’m concerned with the glass roof letting the black seats bake in the sun. Is the heat that bad? Are there functions in the car such as remote start that counteract the heat? Does the car get hot WHILE driving solely because of the black seats? I read that the black interior paired with the glass roof lets the car get a little uncomfortable, but is this really the case?

Black with white seats is the way to go. It isn’t hard to maintain the car with white seats.

My model 3 is red with white seats. I got them 30% tints and it is fine. My model Y is white with black seats and I got them 20% because I was getting baked in the car. I live in SoCal, so it gets really hot.

Black with white seats is beautiful. It really stands out.

Upvote 0
mbrescia: "USA" as your location doesn't help us out. Seattle? Miami? Portland, Maine? What region do you live in?

I'm in Fort Worth, Red/white. Not a daily driver, so interior maintenance is unknown, After 4k miles, 3 months, no signs of wear on the seats.

I'm counting on the white seats to keep the car cooler than black, although we haven't lived through a summer yet.

Yes, you can start the climate control remotely, prior to entering the car.

Upvote 0
We initially ordered red w/white seats but looking at them, they were not our "cup of tea" and we were able to switch our order to black. I have ordered pearl white sheepskin covers though for the front seats as they really worked well on my BMW 228i convertible we had for 4 years. I too was a skeptic that sheepskin is cooler in the summer than bare leather but became a believer when I took the chance. We got our first set from these folks and have ordered a set for our MY red this last week: Sheepskin Seat Covers - Rocky Mountain Sheepskin Co.

Upvote 0
I’m concerned with the glass roof letting the black seats bake in the sun. Is the heat that bad? Are there functions in the car such as remote start that counteract the heat? Does the car get hot WHILE driving solely because of the black seats?

You need to provide your location or at least your Lat-Lon. Is the heat that bad? It can be if you live in southern California or the southwest or the gulf states.

Does the Tesla have remote start? Of course. Tesla vehicles can be remotely heated and cooled via the Tesla app as long as the phone and the vehicle have a cellular or WiFi connection.

Tesla vehicles also have Cabin Overheat Protection. If you have Cabin Overheat Protection turned on the Tesla vehicle will automatically turn on the HVAC fan and can also be set to turn on the AC to cool the cabin. The Tesla vehicle will attempt to keep the cabin temperature below 105F. If only the fan is allowed to run then the cabin temperature may rise above 105F. After you park the Tesla vehicle Cabin Overheat Protection remains active for up to 12 hours. (You can reset the 12 hour clock by either driving the Tesla or unlocking and re-locking the Tesla vehicle via the Tesla app.)

I have a whiter exterior with black exterior Long Range Model Y. While driving last summer I did not notice the interior surfaces or seating ever get too warm. One time I parked my Model Y in direct sun on a warm day when the temperature was above 95F. I left the AC running (this is something you can do before you exit the Tesla vehicle) and came back to the Tesla after 10 minutes. The driver's seat had been in the direct sun and felt a bit warm but nothing like getting into a hot vehicle that has been baking for hours in the sun. (I remember having to sit on a towel to avoid getting burns on my thighs from the seats of our black VW Beetle.)

The glas roof of the Model Y features UV and infrared rejection. f you live in the desert or one of the gulf states you will probably want to have the windows tinted. (Some Model Y owers have had all of the glass tinted) You can also easily install a sun shade for the roof glass of the Model Y and also a shade for the rear hatch glass.

Upvote 0
I live in South Florida and have a blue SR MY with black interior. I've had it a little over a month and I haven't felt heat from the roof while driving. We haven't reached the temps we'll get in the summer, but I don't think it will be an issue.

Upvote 0