Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding on rear window tint with/without forward roof tint. Any pics/opinions?

How did you tint your roof?

• Front and rear roof

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Front only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rear only

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Neither front or rear, only sides

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No tint

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting tinted tomorrow, so probably too late for this, but any pics looking up from the inside where the rear glass is tinted but the forward roof is not?

My worry is that it'll look weird that the forward roof is lighter than the rear. So I was considering just skipping the rear entirely and doing only the sides.

Was only able to find this example, and it doesn't look great IMO:

roof-tint.jpg

It's a bit pricey. I got quoted I think $400-500 CDN for 4 sides and a full piece in the rear. Very reputable place from what I can see.

Less worried about the price. More that the difference will bug me over time. Might just get all of the roof done, or none of it.

Is the glass roof 2 pieces, or just one, but separated inside the car??? Don't remember seeing 2 pieces of glass outside, but didn't scrutinize the car close enough. Maybe it's 2 pieces; it'd make sense. Debating if buying those sun shields from Tesla ($80 each), so they can be removed in winter. And probably cheaper than tint. And no spraying freaking water everywhere.

Decided for the moment to skip tinting the rear. The stock tint is already mostly covering it, and I'm worried it'll look basically black-out the rear roof area if you add more tint on top of factory tint.

So just doing the sides for the moment. I'll take it back and get the rear done later if I change my mind once I see it in person.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Decided for the moment to skip tinting the rear. The stock tint is already mostly covering it, and I'm worried it'll look basically black-out the rear roof area if you add more tint on top of factory tint.

So just doing the sides for the moment. I'll take it back and get the rear done later if I change my mind once I see it in person.

I shared your concerns about how tinting the rear or roof might darken the area too much. But I wanted the heat rejection benefit of the tint, so I had the entire rear window done in a 55% ceramic tint. The lighter tint means that the rear area remains light and bright, but you still get the heat rejection benefit from the ceramic tint.

Reactions: ehacke
Answered “rear only”

I did the darkest spectra photosync ird (30%) on rear doors, plus the 1pc rear glass. On the front doors I went as close to AZ legal limit as possible (45%). On the windshield, I used the lightest shade they offer (70%).
The roof glass was left untouched, with factory tint only.

Very happy with the results.

will let you know how they turn out.
Yeah, please. I want the best possible fit and benefit. If I can get that with less money, perfect. If not, I'd pay for the Teslas then.

Hey guys, what's the deal with the rear window??? Is it the same color as the roof? I'd MUCH prefer not having to tint the rear window. Being so deep and steep, installers always make a mess, scuff seats, spray a ton of water over the speakers, etc. It'd be great just having to do the side windows, and I'd do 35%, like always. It's light, but no issues at night, and it still protects against UV rays the same as darker tint.

In the end I went with 20% on the sides, and no tint on the rear window. And after seeing the result it was definitely the right call for me.

The side windows are dark enough that from the outside they look to be close to the same tint as the roof. Not quite as dark but the feeling is consistent as you walk around it. This photo is not the greatest, lots of cloud reflections in the side windows. That ceramic coat is super-shiny.

Would definitely go with 20% on the sides again. It's on the edge of being too dark at night, but still fine; and perfect during the day.

tint.jpg

With the rear window not tinted, looking up through the ceiling is still consistent between the front and back roof. And you still have good visibility directly out the back at night when reversing. (Compared to my previous car which had no backup-cam, and a rear window so tinted you basically couldn't back up at night.)

In the photo below you can see the contrast between the sides, roof and rear.

PXL_20201223_185716991.jpg

I'll take some more in full sun if that ever happens again here in Toronto.

I did try to take a photo of the back from the outside, but it's so shiny and the sky is so overcast that you can't see that it isn't tinted in the photos. You just see reflections of the sky.

Last edited:
The only other option that would still look nice IMO would be to put 35% tint on the front and rear roof along with the 20% on the sides.

That would preserve some visibility out the rear, while still tinting a bit and keeping the look consistent across the roof.

But after the horror stories about installers messing up the rear tint and damaging the car, as well as the high cost, and how much I'm fine with the rear as stock; I don't think it's worth it for me.

After driving it around in strong sunlight for awhile and seeing it externally in that light, I definitely think I'm going to fully tint the rear window to 35%.

IMO it looks too transparent compared to the sides now and not weird, but could be better.
I was wondering why you DIDNT tint all the windows to begin with. Illogical since the most light/UV is coming into the cabin from the front and rear glass. The point is to block the UV and getting maximum benefit.

My advice would be to utilize the same % as your other windows or it won't match and look weird.
View media item 120416

I was wondering why you DIDNT tint all the windows to begin with. Illogical since the most light/UV is coming into the cabin from the front and rear glass. The point is to block the UV and getting maximum benefit.

My advice would be to utilize the same % as your other windows or it won't match and look weird.
View media item 120416

For me it's much less about minimizing light/UV and more about privacy and the look of it.

I would be interested in the seeing the photo you referenced, though it seems to be private. I just get a permissions error.

I have an appointment scheduled for next week, I chose 35 on the front windows, and 5 on the back windows. Also went with 5% on the visor/tint strip and the full rear glass panel 5%. Will post pictures next week. I wanted to go 20% on the front, but in California 70% is the limit, 35% usually you can get away with.