Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding on second EV, a non-Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at the Bolt, one of my previous cars, make sure you test drive it. The seats on mine were horrible. Anything over 30 minutes drove me nuts and made me squirm. Now the new ones are supposed to be improved. YMMV

And it is all about the shape of your @ss. I find the seats in my 2017 Bolt very comfortable for 14+ hour driving days on road trips, but other people like Alex find them excruciating, so you can't go by my experience you have to drive one for yourself. I guess the CCS infrastructure is better in the fly over states than it is in California LOL.

Keith

PS: Don't worry, I am a heretic on the Bolt forums for doing road trips in the Bolt. I freely acknowledge the beauty of the Supercharger network, I have a MY on order and am looking forward to my first effortless fast charging session. In all honesty though, the Tesla Route planning that includes charging stations is what I am looking forward to.

If it were me, I'd absolutely check out the new Hyundai Ioniq 5 - what a great looking car! I think the range is mid-200's with larger battery pack and AWD. And it has V2G capability. 2022 IONIQ 5 | Electric SUV, Global Reveal | Hyundai USA

5/24/2021:

Their blurb doesn't mention V2G, it just mentions that it can output 1.9kW peak using an adapter accessory plugged into the charge port, plus the Limited trim has a low-load power outlet underneath the back seats: "In addition to outside power outlet, there is a second outlet underneath the back row seat for charging laptops, phones and other devices on the Limited trim. This second outlet is similar to what you would find on a commercial airliner."
(My bolding)

Range targeted maximum 300 miles.
AWD SE and SEL 269 miles.
AWD LImited 244 miles.

Also, no mention of a heat pump in their US blurb. They didn't include it in the Kona EV (which I have), although it was originally in the Ioniq Limited. Kia included one as part of a winter package for the Niro.

Last edited:
I live in Phoenix and personally could not justify buying any other EV than a Tesla. The 3rd-party charging network here is not great: expensive, sporadically placed, and honestly not that reliable. All of the higher voltage ones listed on Plugshare are either missing or non-functional.

Thankfully I charge at home and don't really leave a 10-15 mile radius of my house, so it doesn't affect me.

I live in Phoenix and personally could not justify buying any other EV than a Tesla. The 3rd-party charging network here is not great: expensive, sporadically placed, and honestly not that reliable. All of the higher voltage ones listed on Plugshare are either missing or non-functional.

Thankfully I charge at home and don't really leave a 10-15 mile radius of my house, so it doesn't affect me.
That, of course, is the Achilles Heel of the non-Tesla EV's. Until the non-SC charging networks are up to snuff and widely available, it's going to create a sour taste in many new EV owner's mouths.

Get ready for the HOT weather! :). I'm also in AZ and completely agree, the non-Tesla charging network is unreliable. Unless you want to charge at L2 speed. Then there's plenty around. After driving the MY for a few months, with a few longer distance trips, I don't really think much about getting stuck anywhere with low charge. Tesla is the only option if you're doing road trips, and the charging experience is excellent.

Other than our MYP, we‘re leasing a Chevy Bolt and it’s a fantastic car. We’ll probably buy it after the lease is up. We took the Bolt from Austin to Scottsdale (our second house), then to Colorado and back to Austin. We used ElectrifyAmerica and ChargePoint and didn’t have any issues with any of the charging stations. The biggest challenge with the Bolt is the woeful charging speed. Where it would’ve taken the MYP 10-15 minutes of charge time at a 250kwh charger to get to the next destination, the Bolt took at least 30 minutes and typically more like 45-60 minutes to get enough charge for the next destination. So, the MYP is much, much better for long trips while I actually prefer the Bolt for around town…

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I think if I could get a second EV, I would get the BMW iX.

It's getting great reviews and has features that the MY doesn't - good ride, quiet cabin, premium interior, 360 camera, etc.).
I really liked the iX and we almost got one as our second vehicle. What killed it for us was the dealer markup, and wait time (quoted as between 6mo and 1 yr). I was able to get a MYP within a week or so from ordering.

The other item that we should have realized was discovered on a recent road trip. While not as widespread as in the US the supercharger network in Canada is pretty good and easy to figure out a route. Charging the iX would not have been as easy.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I really liked the iX and we almost got one as our second vehicle. What killed it for us was the dealer markup, and wait time (quoted as between 6mo and 1 yr). I was able to get a MYP within a week or so from ordering.

The other item that we should have realized was discovered on a recent road trip. While not as widespread as in the US the supercharger network in Canada is pretty good and easy to figure out a route. Charging the iX would not have been as easy.
This is why we got the X5 45e plug-in hybrid as our other car. 32 miles of electric and no stress on road trips.

I heard in the next few years, the X5 will have a gas, hybrid, and EV version.

The Mach-E is a very close second to the Model Y for me. It's supposed to have excellent handling and ticks a lot of boxes for what I want in the Model Y. The Audi is interesting but I think it's still pretty expensive.

I sometimes wonder if the Mini Cooper will come out in an E version. That's what I think of as a style opposite of the Tesla - lots of round dials and buttons. I love the way they look.

This is why we got the X5 45e plug-in hybrid as our other car. 32 miles of electric and no stress on road trips.

I heard in the next few years, the X5 will have a gas, hybrid, and EV version.
Sounds like it works for you. Hybrids are not our thing, but I can see how it fills a role.

We did some number crunching and if we ever need to go on a long trip where the SC are unavailable we will just rent an ICE vehicle. We figured this would be once a year or so.

The Mach-E is a very close second to the Model Y for me. It's supposed to have excellent handling and ticks a lot of boxes for what I want in the Model Y. The Audi is interesting but I think it's still pretty expensive.

I sometimes wonder if the Mini Cooper will come out in an E version. That's what I think of as a style opposite of the Tesla - lots of round dials and buttons. I love the way they look.
They do: https://www.miniusa.com/model/electric-hardtop.html