Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ONE THING - Wait ONLY one more month and you will get 2021 model . Your resale value will be up form many $$$ in coming years. That is ONLY reason why you should wait. Dont listen Tesla shareholders who wants you to buy car now so they can profit from that
The model year difference doesn’t affect resale if you’ll keep the car a few years: Ultimately it’s just the miles driven. Go on cars.com and this holds true for any car, not just Tesla. For example, The price of used cars of similar mileage are fairly close whether they are, 2017 or 2016 models. I am getting my Y soon and I don’t really care if on paper it is called 2020 or 2021.

looking at the used model 3 market, doesn't seem like year plays any role. more so mileage.

Oh really?

Try vroom and carvana ansd see what they offer you for models (2018 and 2019 year) then come here and report there is "NO" significant difference.

I dont know why we are still seeing posts like this, is it that early adopters dont want new owners to get new deal?

Try going on Tesla web site and see price difference in 2016,17 and 18 MS. There is ENORMOUS price difference !
Just because of MODEL YEAR !!

Model Year Matters.

If all other things are equal, it is usually worth some $ to get the next years model. Problem is that Tesla does not have a firm policy as to when they make that change official. Usually done in late December.

Model years are hold overs from legacy manufacturers. Aware Tesla owners will look for the born on date, or VIN to help them configure the best deal on used Tesla. Not a simple or easy thing to do.

A good example is all the anguish in posts for people wanting to purchase 2017s with "Uncorked" performance enhancement. Sometime it is not the date of production, but the VIN that shows eligibility. Even then, sometimes the modification does not take, and disappointment ensues.

When I traded in my first X to Current Automotive they asked me for my manufactured date, a picture of my display and Autopilot version. Did not go just off the model year.

Well it's official - I just pulled the trigger and let Tesla know via chat that I'm not yet ready for a Sep 15th delivery date - they asked if there's any other notes I'd want to add to the account and I said that I'd likely be ready by Sep 23/24th but understand that there may not be a car to give me by then...

• Worst case - I delayed delivery and there's no new announcements for MY anytime soon - and I don't get reassigned a new VIN for months (which is fine for us) and take delivery a few months later than we expected
  • Better case - I delayed delivery and there's no new announcements for MY anytime soon - and I do get reassigned a new VIN right away and can pickup a MY on Sep 23/24th
  • Even better case - I delayed delivery and there is new stuff worth waiting for and it'll be put into production for delivery within a few more weeks/months and is worth waiting for, take delivery a few months down the line but of a better product
  • Best case - They've already implemented density changes to MY produced over the past few months, and wait until battery day to release a software update unlocking the extra density saying surprise it's already there - and I get delivery on Sep 23/24th.
Such great perspective!! We ordered 8/6 and production and delivery soft match date are pushed 3 weeks later than they were quoting before. Probably a blessing in disguise.

Despite letting Tesla chat know I wanted to delay delivery, looks like the message wasn't received at our local SC and I got a text/call that the car was at the lot early and could be picked up on Sep 8th - one week early.

Talked to the local advisor and was up front about wanting to wait until Battery Day cause I'd hate the feeling knowing there was a potential announcement of a change that could be worth waiting for and I didn't wait and took delivery of a car I don't need today any more than a month from now - he said he completely understands, doesn't think they'd really announce any change to the Y so soon, 'but you never know, so I get it'.

So I'm now officially delinked from the VIN and I may end up getting assigned a new one right away and it may also end up being routed/setup for delivery before Sep. 22nd but if that's the case, can unlink that one and do it again until I have the information I need on battery day to decide when to take delivery.

Super easy process all around and I am so much more at peace without the anxiety of 'what if I'd waited' - now I can wait and maybe nothing changes after all for the Y, and even if it doesn't, great - I'll get an awesome car and I can't wait....well maybe I can, a little. :)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Despite letting Tesla chat know I wanted to delay delivery, looks like the message wasn't received at our local SC and I got a text/call that the car was at the lot early and could be picked up on Sep 8th - one week early.

Talked to the local advisor and was up front about wanting to wait until Battery Day cause I'd hate the feeling knowing there was a potential announcement of a change that could be worth waiting for and I didn't wait and took delivery of a car I don't need today any more than a month from now - he said he completely understands, doesn't think they'd really announce any change to the Y so soon, 'but you never know, so I get it'.

So I'm now officially delinked from the VIN and I may end up getting assigned a new one right away and it may also end up being routed/setup for delivery before Sep. 22nd but if that's the case, can unlink that one and do it again until I have the information I need on battery day to decide when to take delivery.

Super easy process all around and I am so much more at peace without the anxiety of 'what if I'd waited' - now I can wait and maybe nothing changes after all for the Y, and even if it doesn't, great - I'll get an awesome car and I can't wait....well maybe I can, a little. :)

Because how much you roll the dice if you really need the car by a certain point, they’re out to 7 to 11 weeks now, there will be some point there isn’t another VIN for you and you’ll be in the general queue.

they’re out to 7 to 11 weeks now

Perfect, this aligns with what my service advisor said about Tesla stopping production on October 1 for all of North America - maybe it's nothing and they're really just changing the production line for production for a different market on that day - but there's a chance it's to start to integrate to be announced changes from battery day!

Perfect, this aligns with what my service advisor said about Tesla stopping production on October 1 for all of North America - maybe it's nothing and they're really just changing the production line for production for a different market on that day - but there's a chance it's to start to integrate to be announced changes from battery day!

Is Tesla selling the MY outside of North America? I hadn't read anything recent that they would start selling/ shipping to Europe / Asia? When I try to order via Norway/Germany for instance, it indicates production start would be early 2021.

I suspect that after quarter 3 orders are complete is when they will implement any new tooling / lines, such as RWD, single casting machine, etc. I would be surprised if they already implemented the single casting machine, as the first we really heard about it being installed was middle of August, and I would suspect Tesla wouldn't want to insert too much risk in the middle of a quarter. Rather I think they were using the rest of the quarter to test the machine, and maybe build a few MYs with the single casting to very integration into the existing assembly lines. (That said, I am not in auto manufacturing, so I am just guessing.)

Don’t miles generally play more of a role in all used cars?

There’s more homework to do on used Teslas, at the very least you need month and year, but also what digital packages.

It depends. You won't get nearly as much money for a 3 year old Camry with low mileage as a 1 year old in a lot of cases. This is true even if the mileage isn't really that different.

I see the same trend with model s prices and it looks like it is starting to happen with model 3 prices as well.

It depends. You won't get nearly as much money for a 3 year old Camry with low mileage as a 1 year old in a lot of cases. This is true even if the mileage isn't really that different.

I see the same trend with model s prices and it looks like it is starting to happen with model 3 prices as well.

in the context of this discussion, we're talking about cars built within a month of each other, but one gets the 2020 and the other gets the 2021 model year designation. I encourage all who are curious about this issue to go on cars.com for a quick search. You'll see that 2018 and 2019 Model 3's with similar mileage are sold for about the same price.

Speaking only for myself :), I don't see this alone as a reason to wait for a car purchase. If thought that way, there will always be a reason to wait, especially with Tesla, as they continually update one aspect of the car or another, instead of waiting for model year changes...

in the context of this discussion, we're talking about cars built within a month of each other, but one gets the 2020 and the other gets the 2021 model year designation. I encourage all who are curious about this issue to go on cars.com for a quick search. You'll see that 2018 and 2019 Model 3's with similar mileage are sold for about the same price.

Speaking only for myself :), I don't see this alone as a reason to wait for a car purchase. If thought that way, there will always be a reason to wait, especially with Tesla, as they continually update one aspect of the car or another, instead of waiting for model year changes...

Yes they might be sold at the same price, but resale prices are difference.
I encourage all who are curious about this issue to go on Carvana for a quick quote

Yes they might be sold at the same price, but resale prices are difference.
I encourage all who are curious about this issue to go on Carvana for a quick quote
Yeah that’d be a data point of one, and kinda meaningless TBH. how about going to kbb.com for trade-in value. Model 3, 15000 miles, long range, check for 2018 and 2019. Similar trade in estimate...

No, it doesn’t depend. Mileage is the biggest determinant, but it’s context is provided by years. No one suggested the mileage is the only factor.

I am not sure what the argument here is about. On a like for like car there is a non zero difference in price between two years. Any person perceives this intuitively, all else equal. If I was offered two identical cars but 1yr difference, I would certainly take the younger of the two or pay up for it (how much is up for interpretation but that value is there)... arguments claiming that years don't matter are just utter nonsense. Wait 6 weeks and get a year newer. Simple, especially now with the estimated wait of 11 weeks you are pretty much guaranteed a 2021' with a single cast rear and possibly some more new goodies. You've made the decision to buy the car, the difference is waiting 6 weeks or not, for 2021. You won't magically fall into a black hole of putting it off in perpetuity, waiting for latest and greatest. Those arguments are just nonsensical loop, designed to push your decision forward.

• Informative
Reactions: garu and alexcue
I was told today by a Tesla salesperson that any car that is made in January 2021 is a 2021. She laughed at me when I asked, assuming that the "2021 model" would be available in November or December... much like video games haha

Not sure if she's right or wrong, but she made it sound like waiting until late February or March is the only way you can get a 2021, as again, the car must be made in 2021 to be considered a 2021. She also said any rise in price you are subject to by "unpairing" to a VIN and waiting.

just the messenger... will call back tomorrow and speak with somebody else to confirm.

I was told today by a Tesla salesperson that any car that is made in January 2021 is a 2021. She laughed at me when I asked, assuming that the "2021 model" would be available in November or December... much like video games haha

Not sure if she's right or wrong, but she made it sound like waiting until late February or March is the only way you can get a 2021, as again, the car must be made in 2021 to be considered a 2021. She also said any rise in price you are subject to by "unpairing" to a VIN and waiting.

just the messenger... will call back tomorrow and speak with somebody else to confirm.

I would ask her to explain the Model 3 2020s that were built and delivered in Oct/Nov 2019. Either she is willfully dishonest, isn't aware because she wasn't with tesla then, or was with tesla and just lives under a rock or different planet.