Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would ask her to explain the Model 3 2020s that were built and delivered in Oct/Nov 2019. Either she is willfully dishonest, isn't aware because she wasn't with tesla then, or was with tesla and just lives under a rock or different planet.

Thank you!
I will absolutely be calling another number tomorrow and if I can truly just delay delivery a month or two for a 2021, it behooves me not to... especially considering battery day, 2021 model, and a little extra time for QC issues to be ironed out!

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
I was told today by a Tesla salesperson that any car that is made in January 2021 is a 2021. She laughed at me when I asked, assuming that the "2021 model" would be available in November or December... much like video games haha

Not sure if she's right or wrong, but she made it sound like waiting until late February or March is the only way you can get a 2021, as again, the car must be made in 2021 to be considered a 2021. She also said any rise in price you are subject to by "unpairing" to a VIN and waiting.

just the messenger... will call back tomorrow and speak with somebody else to confirm.
I raised a similar question today, asking when the 2021 model year MYs will be available. He said January 2021, though that seemed to conflict with information I had read on here.

But like @Quorky said before, I'd be skeptical of anything that a salesperson has to say. Even though these people sell Teslas all day, it wouldn't surprise me if they knew less than the average forum user about the minutiae of Tesla vehicles (there's a lot of enthusiasts on here). It also wouldn't surprise me if they chose to withhold information (or simply lie) to make a sale. I already saw this last Saturday when a salesman tried to tell me there were no differences between the March 8 MY with which they had paired me and a MY fresh off the line today—a statement that was, at best, a result of ignorance, or, at worst, a ploy to trick me into buying a car that was over 6 months old and which had been rejected at least once already. In any case, I corrected him and provided him with a brief list of mechanical updates, which will help him be a better salesperson in the future.

And this is only somewhat related, but I'm really hoping for an option for air suspension to come out soon. Sandy Munro demonstrated in his tear-down that Tesla seemed to engineer room for an air suspension system in the Model Y. Here's hoping that will be announced on Battery Day, though I have my doubts.

Here is a potential reason to wait. If a 2021 refresh is announced to the S and X, there is a chance that remaining 2020s will see a slight price break. So if you went with the MY because you were priced out of the MX but it was a close call, this might make a difference.

Got a text yesterday with a new delivery date of a new car, scheduled 2-3 weeks from yesterday which puts us right at the day after battery day, VIN 488xx.

So now I'm in a spot where, if nothing is announced as being changed on the MY on 9/22 - I can go pick it up right after - but if something is announced as being changed - I can weigh if it's worth delaying again until the changes make it into production.

This is exactly the outcome I was hoping for - and it looks like it's coming together! :)

Got a text yesterday with a new delivery date of a new car, scheduled 2-3 weeks from yesterday which puts us right at the day after battery day, VIN 488xx.

So now I'm in a spot where, if nothing is announced as being changed on the MY on 9/22 - I can go pick it up right after - but if something is announced as being changed - I can weigh if it's worth delaying again until the changes make it into production.

This is exactly the outcome I was hoping for - and it looks like it's coming together! :)

We had the exact same plan, message yesterday and good outlook for the plan coming together!

We don't have a VIN listed, did you have to look in the web page source code to find yours?

Hmmm what if the new better battery’s that come into play later are swappable with the older model battery’s?

I wouldn't count on it at all. While Tesla will do replacements under warranty, it's very costly for them and people who have needed battery replacement out of warranty have spent ~$20k for it. Tesla very likely will not introduce any program to replace the battery without the existing one being defective.

Reactions: Scarlett Y
Battery day will bring nothing immediate but if you wait one more month you will get 2021 model,single cast,bump in range 5% and better quality overall.
Your car will have much better RESALE value then first model car year (2020)

Definitely important for folks that don't plan on keening their Y for very long, not so important for people who keep their cars for a long time.

Definitely important for folks that don't plan on keening their Y for very long, not so important for people who keep their cars for a long time.

If you plan on keeping you car for a long time, why wouldn't you wait another month to get some better, albeit small features? Would imagine if you are marrying your car for 5-10yrs, you would be better served with some slight improvements by waiting 30 days for 5-10yrs of life out of those improvements. Seems like a no brainer given that it is ~1% time delay in the life of ownership.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland and Kimo
Depends on your trade-in situation. I was all for waiting until I pressed the trade-in button to get a price for my Model 3. Price was good to the point that I thought they made a mistake. If I wait for the 2021 model, My 2019 will be a model year older and have higher mileage and its value will decline accordingly.

Not an easy decision, but I think I'm going through with the trade on Sept 19th.

If you plan on keeping you car for a long time, why wouldn't you wait another month to get some better, albeit small features? Would imagine if you are marrying your car for 5-10yrs, you would be better served with some slight improvements by waiting 30 days for 5-10yrs of life out of those improvements. Seems like a no brainer given that it is ~1% time delay in the life of ownership.

That is a good point, however, how do we even know if there is anything better in the next couple of months. It is all rumors and speculation. Let say the new feature is the the single piece casting, who is to say there is even a noticeable benefit to the owner. You don't actually see it.

I think everyone is assuming there will be something better in a month or so, but who knows. Why not wait 2 months, or 3 months, or 6 months, there is potentially something better. And in the end you still don't have a Tesla :(

Reactions: Quorky
That is a good point, however, how do we even know if there is anything better in the next couple of months. It is all rumors and speculation. Let say the new feature is the the single piece casting, who is to say there is even a noticeable benefit to the owner. You don't actually see it.

I think everyone is assuming there will be something better in a month or so, but who knows. Why not wait 2 months, or 3 months, or 6 months, there is potentially something better. And in the end you still don't have a Tesla :(

The only things that we know are coming are the 7-ish seater and the RWD LR Y. If those are "better" to you, then you know better is coming.

Otherwise, yeah, its just speculation.