Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try to sell Model 3 2018 and 2019. It is $6000 difference at least. Just because of model year. Waiting 1-2 months and get that difference in $$$ is smart move. Now its different story what Tesla fan boys are going to tell you. Im just telling you facts

guess I don’t see it... they are virtually the same on KBB... mileage seems to matter more. I don’t own one yet. But I’ll be ordering one soon. I’ll see what year I get.

My preference for a 2021 Model is not feature related but rather the number on registration, it helps in resale value even a little bit down the line so that is why I would rather wait one month if that's the case but if it is not then I would just pull the trigger.

I'm trying to wait until battery day and maybe even until this, if delivery in nov/dec is be considered 2021.

Reactions: 907XCP
As i said try to sell it. Carmax,carvana,vroom,Tesla trade..

Try to sell it !!

KBB will not buy your car.
Agreed!

It's just natural for people to think a 2020 model year car is fully one year older than a 2021 model even though they could literally be separated by one production day when the cut-over occurred. It may be even more important in a vehicle like the MY where there have been several important changes made since the first production cars were made back in Feb. If I was looking for a used MY a few years from now, all things being equal (asking price, trim level, odometer, etc...) and I had a choice between a first production year MY or a second year MY with newer design Octovalve, one-piece Mega Casting, new design tail lights, etc... it would be an easy choice.

I didn't wait. The odds of there being some massive upgrade for the 3 and Y I feel are very low. I could very wrong here and eat a shoe in a week but I am not worried. If it is some massive range increase for 3 and Y then I guess I hope they offer some sort of upgrade path for us plebs who didn't wait

1.jpg
Place those orders in boys and girls.

Yeah, no surprise there at all, but it's been pretty entertaining watching people delaying their purchase of a Y thinking there was going to be any near-term impact to it at all.

I'm delaying until the 2021 model year or better yet I'm going to delay until the single-piece rear casting is in production, but then I might as well wait until I see how the model changes once Giga Berlin comes online although Giga Austin may really include some changes that I want.

I think I'll be ready to finally pull the trigger sometime in late 2022 assuming no more announcements are made before then.

j/k getting mine delivered on Friday (fingers crossed).

I'm delaying until the 2021 model year or better yet I'm going to delay until the single-piece rear casting is in production, but then I might as well wait until I see how the model changes once Giga Berlin comes online although Giga Austin may really include some changes that I want.

I think I'll be ready to finally pull the trigger sometime in late 2022 assuming no more announcements are made before then.

j/k getting mine delivered on Friday (fingers crossed).

:D:D:D

To me this reads like he is trying to set expectations ahead of tomorrow to keep the stock from cratering when everything announced is too far off and not already realized. I still dunno why anyone was delaying taking delivery for Battery Day since it was always intended to be an investor event, not some sort of event to announce big consumer-facing things near-term.

Reactions: heems and CO_MY
To me this reads like he is trying to set expectations ahead of tomorrow to keep the stock from cratering when everything announced is too far off and not already realized. I still dunno why anyone was delaying taking delivery for Battery Day since it was always intended to be an investor event, not some sort of event to announce big consumer-facing things near-term.
If Battery Day does become underwhelming it will honeslty be on Elon. He hyped Battery day a lot and set expectations very high with all the "Alien Tech" hints he has given out. I still believe tomorrow we will have our minds blown but for now I am a little more reserved. Maybe that was his intentions.

If Battery Day does become underwhelming it will honeslty be on Elon. He hyped Battery day a lot and set expectations very high with all the "Alien Tech" hints he has given out. I still believe tomorrow we will have our minds blown but for now I am a little more reserved. Maybe that was his intentions.
As a battery enthusiast I'm going to be super excited if he says batteries are going to be 20% better, in a couple of years.
So for Model X we can expect range to go to 351 * 1.2 = 421 miles.
If we get a 25% improvement than Model S will get 500 miles of range.
Model S 402 * 1.25 = 502 miles

Reactions: 907XCP
As a battery enthusiast I'm going to be super excited if he says batteries are going to be 20% better, in a couple of years.
So for Model X we can expect range to go to 351 * 1.2 = 421 miles.
If we get a 25% improvement than Model S will get 500 miles of range.
Model S 402 * 1.25 = 502 miles

I think 421+ miles for the X would hit a sweet spot - if it also comes with real faster charging - not just peak.

Battery day is obviously announcing Tesla entry into battery production. That announcement will be underwhelming if you are looking for product excitement. For investors and tech heads it should be pretty good. Definitely not a disappointment.