Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding when to order my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am attempting to decide whether to wait or to order once I have access to the configurator.

I have decided to go with these options-
First Production
  • Premium Package
  • Long Range
Paint: White

Undecided on getting-
Wheels: 19" Sport Wheels or stick with the Aero wheels. (I plan to put snow tires on instead of going with AWD, since many are saying that electric cars with RWD and snow tires is good enough. Is this what you guys think or what are your thoughts on this?)

My current estimated time is Apr - Jun 2018. The reason I am trying to decide whether or not to order it once I have access is due to my current lease which doesn't end until June 2019 and the full $7,500 tax credit expiration.

If I were to get it once I have access to the configurator, I would sell my lease and most likely come out even or possibly a make 1-2k. However, I would get the full tax credit and as long as my car sold at the right time also at least event or 1-2k better. Or do I plan on just wait my lease out, most likely not getting any tax credit at all, and buy the car with even more refinements in June of 2019?

I keep going back and forth and I am thinking that I am going to hold off on getting EAP and just pay the $1,000 penalty for buying it at a later time since I don't drive much more than 30 miles on most days.

Let me know all of your thoughts as well!

If your lease ends in June and the tax credit expires in June, if you can order and get the car early enough to qualify for the full $7500, that's what I'd do.

Unless you want dual motor and air suspension. That's the only thing I see you soliciting advice on: whether RWD and snow tires is enough or to get AWD. Otherwise, I don't think the refinements will be enough to sway things one way or another since you're not talking one of the earliest builds (2017 ones).

I mean, you could just let the least expire and without needing to sell it if you get your configurator late enough. The difference between $7500 and $3750 should be more than a couple of months of payments so I wouldn't stress too much about whether to sell your lease or not. Even if you have to eat an extra month or so of the lease, you should still come out ahead.

First of all, Model 3 deliveries will likely be late, so doubt you ll get it by June 2018.

Second, what's your lease? Is it a good deal? Does the brand allow transfer? If you have a good deal on your lease, you can likely transfer it with little loss (if transfer is allowed).
My lease end June of 2019, it's 315 a month and I don't think with leasing through a FCU will allow me to do any sort of transferring. I had heard that RWD electric cars with snow tires is comparable to AWD ICE cars. I don't mind taking a small loss at all, but I don't want to pay for both. If it comes down to it and I have to pay the remainder of the lease and turn it in, so be it. So basically I am trying to figure out from someone with direct knowledge if it's worth waiting for AWD or if RWD with snow tires is sufficient. This would allow me to order as soon as possible and get whatever tax incentive if any are available if RWD is sufficient and if not to not worry about the tax incentive and just wait for AWD.

If your lease ends in June and the tax credit expires in June, if you can order and get the car early enough to qualify for the full $7500, that's what I'd do.

Unless you want dual motor and air suspension. That's the only thing I see you soliciting advice on: whether RWD and snow tires is enough or to get AWD. Otherwise, I don't think the refinements will be enough to sway things one way or another since you're not talking one of the earliest builds (2017 ones).

I mean, you could just let the least expire and without needing to sell it if you get your configurator late enough. The difference between $7500 and $3750 should be more than a couple of months of payments so I wouldn't stress too much about whether to sell your lease or not. Even if you have to eat an extra month or so of the lease, you should still come out ahead.
They said there lease ends June 2019.

They said there lease ends June 2019.

Ahh, good catch!

Dunno if I'd change my response much. Sell the lease if you can if you need to in order to get that full tax credit. Don't and give up half that credit if you must have the dual motor/air suspension. I'd just consider it a more expensive option at that point. The LR battery was my one "must have" feature. $9,000 more was a bit more than what I hoped to have to pay, but I need it, so mentally, I just accepted that the extra cost was what I have to pay and now I'm ok with it. I'm just lucky that the LR is coming first so I don't worry about whether the fed tax credit will run out or not.

...June of 2019...

Good luck on timing your delivery! Traditionally, there has been no telling how you can time it with Roadster, Model S, Model X, but people keep hoping that history is no indication of future so they say it's different now!

...I keep going back and forth and I am thinking that I am going to hold off on getting EAP...

If you are hesitant about it then you should hold off on it. Remember, Autopilot is not perfect. It works in many scenarios but not in others so you have to figure out the system and how you can adapt to it without getting into accidents.

I love AP2 and I turn it on whenever I can. If I can't turn on the Autosteer in some local roads, I still turn on the smart cruise so it can start and stop running for me while I manually steer!