Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciphering "Message X-1"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Goes-to-11.png
Ok I found the site (linked from the Wikipedia Page) but I can't do it by paper, or on the Rumkin site. We obviously got the correct message, but I am somewhat curious about how the SectretCodeBreaker site ran it's algorithm.

Anyway I might look at the text later today.

A theory:
- The gamemaster used that particular site to encrypt the message.
- That site has an algorithm which is not 100% "correct", if by correct you mean completely in line with the classic description of the (Vignere) Autokey cipher.
- Hence, the only realistic way to decode the message would be to reverse it through that specific site's algorithm, which is why we had no luck with any of the other tools.

Goes-to-11.png
So I went through the 'mistypings' and found something interesting. (I am not a good speller so may have missed some subtle ones).

All the incorrect letters are the first letters of a line. (There was a missing 's' where an 'a' was, but it should have been 'as', i am ignoring this)

This -> instead of

V -> 'I'N
H -> 'U'S
Q -> 'D'EAL
J -> 'W'E
V -> 'I'
L -> 'Y'OU
F -> 'S'HUTDOWN
F -> 'S'INCE
J -> 'W'EIRD
E -> 'R'AW

This is a simple ROT-13 shift. I am not sure it means anything. But wanted to put it out there. I don't think there is an anagram there, or any sort of coded message. Maybe just a method to slow down pure attacks of the cipher. Not sure.

As for 40, it seems that is referencing 'parts' so I would think only 8 more sets of 5 pictures would be required. I'll get a set done at lunch today. I think they will have to be unique though.

I'll look up almonds, that seems peculiar. Maybe it is a reference to cyanide?

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that you can't get 'raw' almonds anymore:

Wikipedia said:

Mandatory pasteurization in California

The USDA approved a proposal by the Almond Board of California to pasteurize almonds sold to the public, after tracing cases of salmonellosis to almonds. The almond pasteurization program became mandatory for California companies in 2007.[SUP][49][/SUP] Raw, untreated California almonds haven't been available in the U.S. since then.
California almonds labeled "raw" must be steam-pasteurized or chemically treated with propylene oxide. This doesn't apply to imported almonds [SUP][50][/SUP] or almonds sold from the grower directly to the consumer in small quantities.[SUP][51][/SUP] The treatment also isn't required for raw almonds sold for export outside of North America.
The USDA-approved marketing order was challenged in court by organic farmers organized by the Cornucopia Institute, a Wisconsin-based farm policy research group. According to the Cornucopia Institute, this almond marketing order has imposed significant financial burdens on small-scale and organic growers and damaged domestic almond markets. A federal judge dismissed the lawsuit in the spring of 2009 on procedural grounds. In August 2009 farmers were appealing.[SUP][52][/SUP]
It also seems to say that near all the almonds grown in the USA (about 60% worldwide production) are grown in California. Not sure if that 'raw' comment was trying to allude to a location outside California or not.

But it also seems that almond butter can be raw. Whether or not those nuts are steamed or not I do not know. I would imagine the 'raw' almond butter is similarly treated.

Ah OK, the confusion. PureAmps posted a different decoder. I think you meant to say the one DrComputer posted.

That threw me off, but i went back and read DrComputer's updated post and figured it out.

One other thought is that the puzzle had red and black letters, so maybe we are meant to ignore some of the letters? I took a quick looks and nothing jumped out at me as that different. There are still references to almonds in the black letters for example. Could be a red herring...

Last edited:
Goes-to-11.png
It appears that you can't get 'raw' almonds anymore:

[/SUP]It also seems to say that near all the almonds grown in the USA (about 60% worldwide production) are grown in California. Not sure if that 'raw' comment was trying to allude to a location outside California or not.

But it also seems that almond butter can be raw. Whether or not those nuts are steamed or not I do not know. I would imagine the 'raw' almond butter is similarly treated.

Actually in California it's easy to find unpasteurized raw almonds at farmer's markets (the "sold from grower directly to consumer" exemption). Probably nothing significant there though.

Model S as a Vehicle 2 Grid. (Using the battery pack and inverter to provide AC power since their generator went out.)
Maybe calls it "pseudo" since they are just powering their lab, not the whole grid...
I was thinking along those same lines. May people have been asking for this feature. Also wasn't SolarCity working on a battery storage solution for off grid PV installs?
So, a parnership between SolarCity and Tesla to provide Off Grid EV charging from SolarCity PV Panels based on Space-X (not Boeing) Li battery technology.
am I going too far off on a tangent here, as I usually end up doing...

Last edited:
Just a stab in the dark...

YC's - Shenzhen YC Century Technology Co.Ltd - Known as YC
CONICAL - Conical Technologies SA

Both are involved with battery and charging tech

The reference to Almonds and Peanut Butter Jelly may be a cultural thing. Eating such a combination may be repulsive to native Chinese.

With regards to "To that that end he has asked that the rest of the parts be sent. He needs forty more to determine if his build will work."... If the project was a battery replacement, then it could be a logical tie-up with YC and the connection to having worked at Conical. Maybe a test sample - that works. Now needs the other 40 pouch cells to make a 85kw battery pack?

Then there is "WE CAME UP WITH A NAME FOR OUR TRANSMISSION! ANTENY" - a play on antenna? If so, could this be wireless charging?

Further - ..."
AND NOW I’VE RIGGED UP A SPARE M S UNIT AS A SLICK PSEUDO V 2 G TO GET US BY FOR NOW" This looks to be an incidental action (the outcome of the generator blowing, not by design) and not part of the project. Interesting though that the item is called a M S UNIT rather than just an MS or MS car. Almost as if they have a spare battery pack or one taken out of a MS.

Last edited: