Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciphering the Reservation number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The closest thing I saw a couple days ago was someone guessing 107xxx was west coast, 108xxx was east coast. Based on what people are posting that could be, but I haven't looked at everyone's res number and location personally.

Mine starts 107 and I'm in Seattle. All the CA folks I've seen so far were 107 as well.

It's a unique identifier. Essentially a random number guaranteed to be unique. It has no meaning.
The other data in your reservation (date, time, etc.) and other data you will add to your "MyTesla" account gives meaning to the reservation.

I'll take a guess that the number might be your reservation number possibly? It could be that when you make two reservations that second reservation gets a higher number than the first and is not sequential as you would initially guess. It seems that the 107 .vs. 108 doesn't imply locale.

I haven't received an email of this information yet. My guess is the alpha text at the end my be an encoding for local possibly.

At first I didn't think it was a valid theory, but now I think it is. The numbers are doled out from different web servers, each with a exclusive range of numbers to hand out. So it's essentially random which server you may have landed on for your specific reservation, and then random or sequential (doesn't really matter). Also, I have no alpha characters at the end of my RN#.

So I believe in this case, there's really no "decoding" possible.

My RN# is 108xxx and I'm almost as east coast as you can get.

I think Tesla learned their lesson with the MS and MX reservation numbers, and giving the power of the customer to call up and complain about getting their car "out of order". With the number of M3 orders, and the multiple levels of priority given, Tesla wants that to be a non-decodable black box (which I think is a great idea), so basically you'll get your invite to configure when they're ready to hand it to you. Nobody will really be able to figure it out. That doesn't mean there won't be hundreds of pages of speculation in the next two years trying to figure it out. It's already starting.

Just go get a cold beverage, sit back, and relax. You'll get it when you get it.