TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Decision, Decision, Decision... 13 P85 vs. 14 85 - And CPO question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Indpowr, Dec 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Looking for owners experience. Shawn the CPO manager at Tesla said they 14 has improvements over the 13 but did not get into specifics. Any input would be great.

I would prefer the P only because I am a performance guy and like speed. Also, I like the upgraded interior. Could care less if it was 19/21 tires. The wife also wants pana so, either will have that option. Tech package as well and maybe nappa leather (unless its on the P) If there any suggestions I am open.

Lastly, I was reading some others posts and they said extended warranty did not cover some items like the broken door handles and had to pay 200 for the fix. I thought the 4/50 was bumper to bumper. The CPO cars run about 5-8k more than the avg. car I can get (either model)

I really appreciate and and all advice.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I think the quality of fit, finish, noise and general reliability improved dramatically with cars built after about 6-14. Some have disagreed with me. But I see many less complaints about drive unit failures, squeaks and rattles, door handle failures, poor gaps on interior and exterior on cars after about mid 14. I haven't tracked it formally. But DU failures after mid 14 are dramatically lower. And paint is lightyears better than 13's, IMO. And even if most of these issues are covered under warranty, who wants to deal with them? Especially now that turnaround at the SCs is so long, due to them selling cars faster than they both build SCs and and staff them with quality people.

And a big thing for me was that when I had the very few issues that I have had (bad solenoid in the SAS, torn pano seal, and something minor that I can't remember) they would flatbed a replacement to my office and take mine away for FREE! And return. That is now long gone. Also, if you can find and afford one built after 10-14, you get AP1.0. For me, that is priceless!

As far as far as 85 vs. 85P goes, the difference will not be noticeable after a month of so. Honestly, the 85 still goes like stink! My last piece of advice...Go for the 19's. I got the 21' staggered on my P85+ because I couldn't resist. I love the look. But I am about to go into my 4th set of tires and I am only at 29.6K mi!!! I can't rotate, they are paper thin, so I am ALWAYS super paranoid about any pothole, with my next set, I will have dropped 4K on tires in 2y, 3mth. There goes any savings on gas! But I am obsessed and addicted, so I am sticking with them for the time being. Though I saw some 20's that are pretty damn sweet lately.:rolleyes:

Oh and... I don't recall the P having an upgraded interior back then. You could order everything ala carte. I ordered all the things I wanted and wasn't forced to get anything I didn't except the 21 staggered, which came with "+" package that I wanted. Not any more. They have gone to packages.

All my specs are below. I love this car more than any other car I have owned. It's the most fun, most reliable and coolest thing ever. Rock solid in every way.

I hope this helps and have fun! I'd love to hear what you end up deciding.

3. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

I have a 13 P85 and am a performance guy also. I never get tired of the kick the P car provides. Aside from some issues that I pointed out at time of delivery, and Tesla addressed all of them, I have had no issues with the car and have no squeaks or rattles. I picked up the car with 19K miles and now have 32K. I agree with the comment on the 19's. I had a loaner with 21's and the ride was definitely harsher.

4. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Agree with you all day as long as the car comes with it I am a wheel/tire guy anyhow 2 of my cars have 3 piece high end wheels. Doubt I will do that to this one.

As for P vs S85 all depends on the deals that come out when we are ready I guess. to give you aneed idea I have a 700hp TT Vette, about to be over 800hp and my wife has a 500hp NA C5 Camaro. So we are performance people. They both also have custom nappa interiors so that is important as well. Just more budget limited at this point and don't want to wait to long as the value on our 15 Benz that we are trading is dropping more and more. LOL

Heard quality is better on 14+ yes. I don't want a car to be in the shop regardless if covered or not.

5. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

20161119_171204.jpg Wife's car

6. ev-now

ev-now Member

Extended warranty != CPO Warranty.

Extended is when the first owner buys an extra 4 years - and like any extended warranty this has a per incident (or item - not sure) deductible.

CPO is almost the same as the new, but excludes some fit and finish that the new does not (wind noise, rattles, that kind of thing - easy to find copies of both new and CPO to compare the wording - from memory it's the last sentence on the main body of the text). No deductible on CPO warranty of course.

7. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

My car and few other cars for DD FB_IMG_1481953874386.jpg

8. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Good to know and just to have peace of mind