Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision decision decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some help here.

I've been deciding between Model Y and Mach E for a while, and pre-ordered Mach E earlier this year, still un-deciding.

What I like about the Mach E is better fit &finish (possible), additional 10.2" screen, better interior &exterior (personal preference), heated steering wheel, better seats material with heated seats;

What I like about Model Y is: Better battery and software ( at least more proven); better range; more storage space; supercharge! Although I probably won't use EV for road trip and still nice to have the capability.

I need to make decision within a month also, any suggestion is appreciated.

My $0.02 (and obviously I'm biased because I went the Tesla direction - although I technically still haven't owned a Tesla) is that this is going to be Ford's first foray into this market - perhaps not their first EV, but definitely first one for mass market. Tesla's secret sauce is the software and pace at which they innovate. The conventional manufactures have yet to prove they can shed their history of slow-to-market and slow-to-innovate cultures. I bet on Tesla because they have a track record to bet on - less risk in my opinion.

I'm sure the Mach E will be a good car. But it's the first of this new generation for Ford. What kind of problems will you be a beta tester for? To be fair, we're all beta testers for Tesla to some degree, too. Hope this is good food for thought.

My $0.02 (and obviously I'm biased because I went the Tesla direction - although I technically still haven't owned a Tesla) is that this is going to be Ford's first foray into this market - perhaps not their first EV, but definitely first one for mass market. Tesla's secret sauce is the software and pace at which they innovate. The conventional manufactures have yet to prove they can shed their history of slow-to-market and slow-to-innovate cultures. I bet on Tesla because they have a track record to bet on - less risk in my opinion.

I'm sure the Mach E will be a good car. But it's the first of this new generation for Ford. What kind of problems will you be a beta tester for? To be fair, we're all beta testers for Tesla to some degree, too. Hope this is good food for thought.
That's also part of my concern too, however I really need to replace my car soon, and there's many fit &finish issues with Model Y since March, although I heard some improvement recently.

Don't underestimate Ford's ability to almost get it right to an infuriating degree. It is eclipsed only by GM's. I wouldn't count on Ford not screwing up something relatively key. I think they'll get more right than wrong, and rather than wave their hands at it and call it "within spec" they are more likely to actually *have* a spec and be willing to fix broken stuff when it's not working right.

The Model Y's I test drove recently seemed fine to me. other than that from the front it looks like a model 3 was minding its own business when it was stung by an entire beehive, it's a pretty awesome choice. Just always park nose-in and it's never a problem ;)

My predictions...

This group will advise towards TMY.

A Ford Mach E group will advise towards a Mach E.

You will not be any more or less confused between the two after wasting a lot of time discussing both on two different forums.

IMHO, if you don't get the GT or whatever the top trim Mach E is, you get this ugly front bumper that literally has a smile at the bottom, once you see it, you cannot un-see it.

Good luck.

My predictions...

This group will advise towards TMY.

A Ford Mach E group will advise towards a Mach E.

You will not be any more or less confused between the two after wasting a lot of time discussing both on two different forums.

IMHO, if you don't get the GT or whatever the top trim Mach E is, you get this ugly front bumper that literally has a smile at the bottom, once you see it, you cannot un-see it.

Good luck.
Thanks for your input, I know it's hard to get unbiased reply here, but it's really a hard decision, unless I can afford both, lol

No one has driven a production Mach-E, let alone had long term experience with one.

The only ones seen were the July prototypes that went on an intense country-wide tour.

That will change in the next few weeks, as the first production vehicles are delivered to the dealers as FCTP "demo program" cars.(*)

* While they aren't allowed to be immediately sold, they sometimes are placed with a contracted buyer and then sold to them with a huge mark-up as a used car when the program terms allows.

You could always get the Y first and use for a few years and if there's no significant changes that drops current model y values; it'll hopefully retain a good value. Trade-in/sell and get a Mach E a few years later if you're still interested while they work out their kinks for a new car. Whereas if you went with mach e first, you won't know what potential problems might be coming your way. Just my $0.02.

I'm a lifelong Ford person, grew up in Dearborn, father worked for ford for 35yrs, I worked for ford during college, had many fords over my time but left the brand for some of the same reasons you have (current ford lease needed to be returned) and opted for MY.

While it is nice to see ford push all the chips in on EV's, they are really only at a version 1.0, maybe 1.5 for battery technology whereas Tesla is well into their 3.0 learnings. Ford will get things right and get things wrong (and hopefully learn from them), but it will be a while before they are on the same footing as the current MY.

Personallly I would opt for MY and check back in a few years to see how Ford is improving.

Recent experience with TWO Ford hybrids: 2014 CMax, 2018 Fusion Energi (plug-in).

Dumped both cars after both developed a known electronic error that Ford refused to warrant. Multiple failures of of the same electronic component, $1k to replace, but NO WARRANTEE on the replacement component. After repeated dead batteries from the failed part, dumped the cars.

Ford fit and finish? I've inspected over a dozen Model Ys, and fit and finish is similar.

Ford MachE, 1.0, vs. Tesla's legacy? I'll choose the Tesla every time.

Not sure Ford is meaningfully better than Tesla on build quality. I've seen some new Mustangs with really appalling fit and finish.

The MachE would make good sense for somebody who lives far from a Tesla service center (though IDK if all Ford dealers will be authorized to service the MachE, or if it will be like the GT where dealers need special facilities).

That's also part of my concern too, however I really need to replace my car soon, and there's many fit &finish issues with Model Y since March, although I heard some improvement recently.

Picked Up my MY last Friday and one taillight was very slightly off on alignment. I called it out on delivery and they will align it better but really no big deal. Otherwise fit and finish are great. Think we are hearing the same from others taking November delivery.

If you need a car soon, I think that almost rules out the Mach-e. GO take a Y for a test drive if you havent already, you can book a drive out in North Van there and get a good mix of highway and city driving. THe fit and finish complaints I think are subjective. You have 3 sides to the story, poor people who this is their first new/nice/most expensive ever car (like me), Luxury car drivers who are more fussy and expecting it to be like a luxury car and then youtubers who make money on clicks and more drama creates more clicks.
Is my car perfect,, no, I will probably align the doors better one day when I get bored, but for me, it doesnt take away from the car and I am happy with it. I thought about the Mach E too for reasons of serviceability (I have a ford buddy to get me manuals and parts) and availability of dealers but the Mach e was more money when optioned out the same but with less range (on paper) and everyone compares electric cars to tesla (IE tesla killers), which proves everyone knows tesla is the one to beat.
I dont think either one is ugly, I watch my wife drive away from the house just so I can watch it leave (she thinks I am looking at her). Every car is going to have people complaining about something since being outraged is the latest fad,, just read between the lines.
Drive the Y, if you like it, get it, if you arent sure, then wait for the Mach E.

ps. I wouldnt dismiss the value of the supercharger network. It wasnt a big factor for me at all as I didnt think I would need it or care but it is a nice option to have that has made things a bit more convenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: BULLSHARK
and there's many fit &finish issues with Model Y since March, although I heard some improvement recently.

Have you previously cared a lot about fit and finish? If so, good to be cautious, but as you note, things seem to be better.

If you haven't previously cared a lot, don't get freaked out by what you see online. I almost did.

I've owned many cars, and I've never been the kind of person that took a magnifying glass to a new car. But in the month leading up to getting my MY, I managed to work myself into a state, by spending lots of time reading posts here. When I took delivery a couple of months ago, I did a very careful inspection. Noted one scuff mark on black trim. Took a photo, noted it with the delivery person, and now I can't even remember where it was.

Deliriously happy with the MY.