Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision still 18 months away but still no Chademo for Model 3. Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are still 18 to 24 months from deciding the replacement for our Leaf. However if the model 3 is not Chademo compatible by then it is an easy decision. The Chademo network is more extensive and growing faster in our province than the Supercharger network is. Has there been any discussion on Chademo/Model 3 compatibility lately? We like the S and would consider the right used one but it won’t fit in our garage.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Most of us think there will be CHAdeMO before deliveries to Japan begin. Frankly I thought they'd enable CHAdeMO prior to delivering to Eastern Canada, so I'd not depend on my perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
We are still 18 to 24 months from deciding the replacement for our Leaf. However if the model 3 is not Chademo compatible by then it is an easy decision. The Chademo network is more extensive and growing faster in our province than the Supercharger network is. Has there been any discussion on Chademo/Model 3 compatibility lately? We like the S and would consider the right used one but it won’t fit in our garage.

Thanks in advance.

John.
Do you frequently drive more than 300 miles/day? If not your garage charging should be fine.

• Love
Reactions: kelly
Although that is certainly a valid point the answe is yes. In about 3 to 4 years we will become quite mobile compared to what we are now. But no, right now a 200 km range leaf serves us quite well. For that matter, so does our smart electric.
Is it likely that when you become more mobile in 3-4 years that you will be driving further away from your area? If you will be taking longer trips out of your area, are there superchargers on those routes? My experience has been that my garage 14-50 is completely sufficient. If we go out of town, we hit the superchargers on the way. You will love the 300 mile range. I do.

Is it likely that when you become more mobile in 3-4 years that you will be driving further away from your area? If you will be taking longer trips out of your area, are there superchargers on those routes? My experience has been that my garage 14-50 is completely sufficient. If we go out of town, we hit the superchargers on the way. You will love the 300 mile range. I do.

It’s hard to say. Right now the Chademo network is growing much faster than the Supercharger network in places where we will travel. That may change though. I know BC hydro has plans for the northern and central interior routes and i doubt Tesla will look at these routes for a decade. Having the ability to charge Chademo will be a must for us.

It’s hard to say. Right now the Chademo network is growing much faster than the Supercharger network in places where we will travel. That may change though. I know BC hydro has plans for the northern and central interior routes and i doubt Tesla will look at these routes for a decade. Having the ability to charge Chademo will be a must for us.

Fellow BC resident here and I agree. BC Hydro has been deploying CHADEMO rapidly, and at ideal spots around the province. Many are even free(!!). Superchargers are great for the default Vancouver-Calgary route, but if you want to tool around the Okanagan your options are more limited. A CHADEMO adapter would solve all of that and provide some peace of mind.

A CHADEMO adapter would solve all of that and provide some peace of mind.

+1

We just completed a short tour of BC: Jackson - Revelstoke - Kamloops - Vancouver - Nanaimo - Tofino - Ucluelet - Victoria and on to Seattle - Portland - Bend - Jackson. We keep a CHAdeMO adapter handy for emergencies but Superchargers are sooo much faster and, in my experience, much more reliable.

During a Spring tour of Ontario we encountered two CHAdeMO’s that were out-of-order. Luckily there J-1772’s nearby.

Reactions: Dana1
Fellow BC resident here and I agree. BC Hydro has been deploying CHADEMO rapidly, and at ideal spots around the province. Many are even free(!!). Superchargers are great for the default Vancouver-Calgary route, but if you want to tool around the Okanagan your options are more limited. A CHADEMO adapter would solve all of that and provide some peace of mind.

My in-laws are on Salt Spring Island, and we drove our S from AZ up to BC twice -- in 2014 and 2016. The 2016 visit also included a visit to the Okanagan, and we then drove to my sister's in Spokane. In an S60 with a max range at the time of ~310 rated km. We did use the CHAdeMO unit in Merritt, but there is a Supercharger there now. We also stayed at a hotel in Summerland that has destination charging, so we had a full charge the next morning. The drive from Summerland to Spokane required about 25 additional rated miles than the car had, so we stopped at 2 places with destination chargers and charged while wine tasting, and also stopped at one J1772 station in WA (total charging time was about 90 min -- but no waiting (we had lunch while charging in WA…).

But I just got my 3 -- and plan on keeping my CHAdeMO adapter for a trip to the Maritimes (we now live in OH). Come on Tesla -- enable it!

Reactions: marusan