Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision Time: 48A or 72A Home charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a 40 amp breaker and 14.50 receptacle. Charging over night is all you need. U can install 80 amp system like a supercharger, but that cost more and not worth it unless you come home empty and want a hot fast charge to go right back out. The cost should not get more than 100 more, same plug, bigger breaker,. 8.3 wire

Check with multiple electricians. Your pricing and proposed solution quality will vary.

Since HPWC can charge at 72AMP anyway, I can't see the breaker or wiring being that much of a difference?

Check with multiple electricians. Your pricing and proposed solution quality will vary.

Since HPWC can charge at 72AMP anyway, I can't see the breaker or wiring being that much of a difference?

I absolutely agree with that in theory, however, what my electrician pointed out to me and what he was absolutely correct about was that the wire for the higher amperage charging would have been too thick to make the bends and run through the location in the garage where I wanted things to go. The 6 gauge wire fits, but thicker wire would have been a real problem.

At this point the work is done and I'm very happy with the results. I've been in this new house for a full 2 weeks now and last night was the first time the car got to charge up to at least 80% in this place. For two weeks I was charging on a 15 amp circuit at 120v and getting only 3 miles of range per hour. Last night the car was charging 12x faster. it feels liberating to know I can now take my Tesla wherever I want to without having to worry about planning my way back through the one and only close Supercharger that is 40 miles away. It's entirely a different experience right now...and one I'm glad is finally here.

Geez guys, didn't mean to upset everyone. The point being that I waited in line for the Model 3 with my best man who lives in Pacific Grove. Quite likely to use our cars when we get them for travel to each others houses. We hang out for movies or dinners or parties. We don't spend the night so there are times when we don't spend a ton of time at each others houses. This may be an edge case for you but pretty day to day for me. Really surprised by the response.

-Randy

Geez guys, didn't mean to upset everyone. The point being that I waited in line for the Model 3 with my best man who lives in Pacific Grove. Quite likely to use our cars when we get them for travel to each others houses. We hang out for movies or dinners or parties. We don't spend the night so there are times when we don't spend a ton of time at each others houses. This may be an edge case for you but pretty day to day for me. Really surprised by the response.

-Randy
Don't let it get to you - people can be a bit blunt around here, but don't worry about it. I'm installing 80A charging in my garage because, well, I can. I have dual chargers in the car, I bought a HPWC off ebay (NIB, $450) because I want to leave the UMC in the car (I know I'll forget it), and I have a 125A subpanel in the garage already. Do I need 80A changing? Not really. So what? It's only going to cost me a little extra for 20 feet of wire. If that upsets someone, well, they can go pound sand.

View attachment 223870

This is my conundrum. The walls are finished. Where I want the HPWC is actually on one of the exterior portions of one of the walls of my attached garage. There's no good way to get the wire from the inside of my house thru the basement unless I go through the part of the garage that is on the inside of the house. As you can see in the picture above, that's about 7 or 8 feet away from where I want the actual charger to be. The interior walls are only 2x4 but the exterior walls are 2x6. it would have been great to do all of this before the house was built...but the original owners apparently didn't think about EVs, go figure. So I'm stuck in the retrofit situation now.

I do want the charger to be located where I've pictured it so that I can sometimes park in the driveway if needed and still charge the car, or perhaps share my charger with someone else who is parked there.

Perhaps 48 amp is the way to go for me. Still waiting to see what the quotes will be though.
I would suggest mounting the HPWC just to the side of the garage door track. There is plenty of room and it would be slightly closer to the charge port, not in the way for access to the back seat, and better situated to charge outside.

I have a my UMC coiled on a rack just next to the right-side (as viewed from inside) garage door track and when charging from outside, I must park backed-in so the cord just comfortably reaches the charge port. With the longer UMC cord and mounted next to the track, you could actually park fronted-in or backed-in and the cord would reach the charge port. From where you plan to mount, I don't think so.

No one is upset. It was just worth a little eyerolling and joking at the nonexistent scenario. You live in the San Francisco Bay area. I mean unless you or your friend drives in from the west, across the Pacific Ocean, you can't drive three hours without passing by a Supercharger, as you suggested. So this idea that faster home charging was going to make some significant difference just didn't make sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: sdorn