TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Decision Time

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Leftysmasher, May 2, 2018.

1. Leftysmasher

Leftysmasher Member

OK, so I am going back and forth on a new X 75D and a CPO Signature X P90D (2016) and I need to decide today. Both have 7 seats.

The new 75D works out to around $84K net (no EAP with Premium Package and standard wheels, white, black textile interior). The Signature P90D works out to $95K delivered (everything included except for Sub Zero).

New X75D:
    Pros: Less expensive, full warranty with possibility to extend if needed. Full drive train and battery warranty. EAP hardware, I will get this activated next year when some more $ become available. Middle seats fold, new premium package and newer tech.
    Cons: Delivery in June, no performance motor, 20" wheels (though I don't mind those), lesser range (not a big deal to me)

CPO Signature X P90D (original sticker $133K):
    Pros: Performance motor, delivery in 10 days, fully loaded except for Sub Zero, higher range (only 13 or so miles), comes with AP1
    Cons: More expensive by around $10K, 6 years remaining on drive/battery warranty, middle seats don't fold, cannot extend warranty

One can argue that the signature P90D has already taken a big hit on the depreciation curve since it is roughly $35K cheaper than it was 2 years ago but pretty sure that will be the same case for the new 75D in a couple of years.

So big question is do I stick with the new 75D or spring for the older P90D ? ;-)

2. Krash

Krash Data Technician

This really comes down to how much would would enjoy the performance of twice the torque on acceleration or if you would notice the better high speed passing capability (most don't). I doubt you would notice the 75 is 150 lbs lighter. 90 batteries have accelerated degradation issues, but it would have to degrade a lot to drop to 75. Frankly what pushed me to a newer (S) was the US Federal Tax break that you won't get on the CPO. Without that I would have gotten a used P. Also, new builds have the new central processor (MCU2). Tax break, new MCU, AP 2.5 and cost savings would make me go new. Don't let the availability sway you. 1 July will be here soon enough.

3. ivanzzz

ivanzzz Member

Hi
    The 75D battery is in the newer config of battery which is better in actual usable % than older one in P90D
    Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs

• Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
    • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
    • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
    • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
    • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
    • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
    • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable
    72.6 for 75D vs 81.8 for P90D
    so P90D is not much longer range than 75D also P90D motor comsume more electricity
    Performance is not very practical in daily use and Ludicrous Mode cause deterioration of motors and tyres
    Also the warranty is critical part of Tesla

I will recommend 75D
    I also send you pm for referral code
    Feel free to contact me if any question =)
    Thanks!

4. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

This. I also concur @ivanzzz. In addition, 2016 build for X is the period for "getting improved". I think recent build should be better in quality.

• Like x 1
  5. rohitgarewal

rohitgarewal Member

Go new.

+It's cheaper
    +Better car (newer battery, mcu, improved quality)
    +Better warranty
    +More customized (choose exactly the features and colors you want)
    +Better finance rates (if you're not paying cash)

The only advantage of the older car is the performance, but the 2016 performance mode X is 3.8, vs 4.6 for the newer 75d .

6. aiya

aiya Member

Don't forget the additional range hit with the 22" tires/wheels on the P. I also say to go for the 75.

7. Leftysmasher

Leftysmasher Member

Thanks all, decision made, going with new! Now the wait..grrrrr

• Like x 3