Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision to keep or not to keep my 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat--have a '13 with 138K miles that I love, but I have no desire to own it without warranty. While there are less things to break on the car, the two most likely, the HV pack and the drive unit, would put a dent in my bank account. The HV pack was replaced for excessive degradation last year the DU (replaced once at 10K miles) is starting to get noisy again.

There is an LR S in my future.

My 2013 P85+ out of warranty = big land-mine sitting in the garage

Ironically - the battery pack seems to be the least of my concerns. It's the litany of non-presenting door handles... freezing screen... leaky roof... interior rattles... one lonely and none too helpful SC in my region...

Sold my 2013 Model S P85 for $35,000 6 months ago. It had 70k miles on it and had all my mods on it (lighted rear appliqués, blacked out chrome, two sets of wheels and tires, etc.). I now have a Model 3 performance but still long for the S, so I placed an order for the new Plaid+ last week. I love the 3 but the S is has way more storage space and the range of the Plaid+ (520 plus miles) means that I can drive from Baltimore to Rochester (where my younger son, his spouse, and 3 grandchildren live) without having to stop for charging. That's too tempting to resist, and the refreshed interior sealed the deal.

Sorry - but the cyber truck design seems to come from the same world as the new yoke-wheel.

Kinda childish - sure to make people talk - but not sure the broad public would want to own it.

Now if Tesla could develop a handsome truck with all of the truck necessities, that could have worked in this household.

Since Tesla does no marketing this is Elon’s way of getting attention, to me the cybertruck and the yoke steering wheel is all about marketing and getting attention. I wish Tesla would make a F-150 type truck, if it was priced under 50k I would own one.
I would figure Tesla could do something more interesting than an F-150 - but I'm with you as far as desired truck option.

The smell and feel of a new car is wonderful but if you want bang for the buck drive your car until the Big ticket items start to roll in. Changing window motors or even the touch screen is financially effective but changing out the battery or computer maybe not so. I have fixed up my old cars thinking I would save money but more and more things went wrong. I have also fixed up old cars and nothing else went wrong. Sometimes you just don't know