Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decisions... New RWD Model 3 $45,740 (with Dec discount) OR Used 2020 Long Range w/FSD $47,400?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
How much better build are the new models? There are some seemingly good deals on used Model 3s on Tesla used inventory right now. Some even with FSD.

What should one know about before buying a used Tesla?

It would be at over a $25k savings over the Y we have on order if we decide the extra space isn't worth it. At those prices it's worth at least considering.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
We have a Model Y on order for next year for almost $70k which is insane as I've never paid that much for a car. But the December rebate of $3,750 got me thinking.

What if we decided to keep our van and replace my Leaf with a Model 3 and pretty much use our Model 3 all the time except when we need more space.

A NEW Model 3 RWD comes out to around $45,740 with the rebate.

PROS
  • New car
  • Refresh and new so heat pump and other niceties and hopefully better build
CONS
  • Less range - 267 mile range (with bigger wheels) *BUT would long range be the same with depreciation?
  • Regular Autopilot no FSD
A used 2020 Model 3 can be found for around $47,400

PROS
  • Bigger battery - but maybe doesn't matter if new uses LFP and degradation of 2020 battery?
  • FSD
  • 3.9 second 0 to 60
CONS
  • Used so less warranty
  • Older build issues?
  • Wear and Tear
Hmmm... Big decisions. The Y looks great but I go back and forth about going into that that much debt. $40k is what I paid for the Leaf 11 years ago but was $24k after rebates. Our van was $17k paid 10 years ago for a 2010 Odyssey. I hate car loans. Decisions decisions.

Leaning towards taking the Dec deal. If we did this we'd still have the van for now. Really would like to go all EV but range on my Leaf is getting bad.

Last edited:
Another reason I'm thinking of doing this instead of the Y - just realized that you can only take the 7500 credit once every three years and we definitely want to buy another car in 3 years. Both our cars are getting long in the tooth at over 10 years old.

Another reason I'm thinking of doing this instead of the Y - just realized that you can only take the 7500 credit once every three years and we definitely want to buy another car in 3 years. Both our cars are getting long in the tooth at over 10 years old.
I believe this is only for used cars though - checking with my accountant. I think you can take the rebate on each car up to your tax liability. But still checking.

"you can only take the 7500 credit once every three years and we definitely want to buy another car in 3 years."

Is that per couple, or per person?

One more advantage of new cars: the lithium ion accessory battery which should virtually never wear out in the car's lifetime, unlike lead-acid which are guaranteed to fail between 3-5 years.

"you can only take the 7500 credit once every three years and we definitely want to buy another car in 3 years."

Is that per couple, or per person?

One more advantage of new cars: the lithium ion accessory battery which should virtually never wear out in the car's lifetime, unlike lead-acid which are guaranteed to fail between 3-5 years.
I think that's just for the used credit actually

Reactions: DrChaos
Second battery. Range not great. When I reserved Nissan claimed 100, when released epa said 73, never got more than 60ish but then I don't like to take it low.

Currently only feel comfortable going 40 or 50. Really 40. Don't like to get it too low. Never pushed it all the way to turtle. Too much anxiety.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
I had same experience... bought the car and was told 100 miles of range... never got more than 75... I sold it after a year to CarMax and broke even (was $12,500 fed/CA rebate back then)
Yup that's what I got. Got a free blink EV charger install too. If I wasn't such a hardcore EV freak I wouldn't have put up with it. Can't recommend it to anyone due to range and public charging nightmare. I'll never buy a gas car again though.

Reactions: gaswalla
Yeah, so many unknowns. But with the new $7500 larger discount until end of year, it definitely seems like a great time to just pick it up if you were on the fence waiting. For me, I'm still waiting since I already have a car and just want to see what will happen in 2023.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Yeah, so many unknowns. But with the new $7500 larger discount until end of year, it definitely seems like a great time to just pick it up if you were on the fence waiting. For me, I'm still waiting since I already have a car and just want to see what will happen in 2023.
Been on a fence on a 3... But if I order one today, high risk I won't be getting delivery before EOY... Contacted my friend in sales. He said he sold 10+ cars today and all the available cars were all gone.

Reactions: T3SLAROD and cdub
Been on a fence on a 3... But if I order one today, high risk I won't be getting delivery before EOY... Contacted my friend in sales. He said he sold 10+ cars today and all the available cars were all gone.
Question and slightly off topic but your friends who I am assuming is a Tesla Sales Advisor, do they get paid commission when selling cars or pretty much salary/hourly?