Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decode battery help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PWlakewood

Jan 9, 2019
US
Purchased my 2013 MS that was listed as a 60 kwh but its actually 75 kwh. I've looked at the different posts but some of the info is confusing . Heres a pic. From what I can tell this is a v3 battery which means I can utilize the faster supercharging correct? Anything else that can be deciphered from this pic?

Attachments

• 20190202_100205.jpg
    20190202_100205.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 268
That’s indeed a 75kwh battery, indicating your 2013 60 had its battery replaced under warranty at some point.

All 75kwh batteries have a peak supercharging rate of ~100kw. There are no major published or observed differences between any revisions of the 75.

I still have until 6/20/2021 on battery warranty. Since this is the 75kwh is it able to be uncorked? The Tesla mobile tech seemed to think so but couldnt confirm.

I invite anyone to jump in here if I’ve got any of this wrong but here’s my understanding. It needs to be a dual motor car to be uncorked. You refer to it as a S75 and not an S75D. If it dual motor, it probably can be uncorked. If it is single motor, I don’t think any of the single motor S75s can be uncorked.

Some interesting thought. 60kwh is 80% of the 75kwh battery. You should be able to charge to 100% all the time without degrading the battery.
Try to supercharge to 100% and see how it slows down at the end. It it does not slowdown to a trickle, then they use the total pack and charge each battery to only 80%, show you 100% charge.

Slows down to what charge rate? Charging slows down after 50% of the battery, but does it slow down to 3KW after 98%? What is your 100% range showing?

I dont know what the 100% charge will give me for range but when I test drove it the range showed 244 and that was not a full charge. I havent charged above 90% yet because there hasnt been a need yet. As far as the KW's when it slows I don't know because we werent trying to hog the supercharger so when it hit 90% we let one of the other 20 people in line to charge take our spot.

Some interesting thought. 60kwh is 80% of the 75kwh battery. You should be able to charge to 100% all the time without degrading the battery.
Try to supercharge to 100% and see how it slows down at the end. It it does not slowdown to a trickle, then they use the total pack and charge each battery to only 80%, show you 100% charge.

If the cars shows S75 and not S60, then you have the full 75 available (and 100% is really 100%).

75 packs are still only 350V packs though, so will supercharge at a lower rate then the 400V 85/90/100 packs.

Uncork is only available for certain AWD cars defined by VIN. A 2013 RWD 60 with a 75 battery is definitely not eligible.
This is not accurate. I have a S75 RWD built Oct 2017 and it is with the new drive unit and already uncorcked. I have run several test and I even registered 0 to 60 mph at 4.1 S.

All RWD Model S built from July 2017 until end of RWD have the same acceleration.

This is not accurate. I have a S75 RWD built Oct 2017 and it is with the new drive unit and already uncorcked. I have run several test and I even registered 0 to 60 mph at 4.1 S.

All RWD Model S built from July 2017 until end of RWD have the same acceleration.

Semantics I suppose, but by “uncork” I meant having the performance upgrade completed after the car was delivered. I’m aware that the later RWD cars had the increased performance, but to my knowledge all of those cars came that way from the factory - none have been uncorked after delivery.

Semantics I suppose, but by “uncork” I meant having the performance upgrade completed after the car was delivered. I’m aware that the later RWD cars had the increased performance, but to my knowledge all of those cars came that way from the factory - none have been uncorked after delivery.
Yes, correct. Uncorking as we discuss here I think is limited to AWD or MS D versions. Those RWD built after July 2018 were factory uncorked.