Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the following VIN:
5YJSA7H20FFP7xxxx

It seems that digit 6 has the value "7" which was not part of the initial information quoted above - I guess this can be due to child seats being an option for my vehicle? Otherwise it is an european delivery...

Or perhaps the next gen seats have a different airbag configuration? That model is with nextgen seats.

I don't believe the child seat option shows up in the VIN at all. Best information seems to be that European vehicles do not have knee airbags (and based on the 2015 NHTSA filing it's possible that 2015 US vehicles don't either). But since Tesla is only required to describe codes used in vehicles destined for the US (other countries don't have this requirement) we can't be precisely sure what the differences are. I've updated the wiki post with the best information we have on this (and fixed my error in saying 5 or 6 were the values we'd been seeing when it was 6 or 7).

just got my new VIN: (EU) 5YJSA8*********** and I have an 8 as the sixth digit. I have the new executive rear seats on order.... maybe this can help to understand better what the digit is for.........

Thanks updated the wiki to reflect that 8 may be for Executive Rear Seats in Europe.

Turns out the last 4 digits of the VIN must be numeric only in the least restrictive rules on the VIN encoding (EU/ISO rules) so using base-16 (hexadecimal) wouldn't work:
L_2011008EN.01000101.xml
The U.S. actually has a more restrictive policy and requires the last 5 digits to be numeric only for passenger cars under 10,000 lbs. According to this rule, Tesla's previously announced numbering scheme is invalid.

(d) The fourth section shall consist of
eight characters, which occupy posi-
tions ten through seventeen (10–17) of
the VIN. The last five (5) characters of
this section shall be numeric for pas-
senger cars and for multipurpose pas-
senger vehicles and trucks with a gross
vehicle weight rating of 4536 kg. (10,000
lbs.) or less, and the last four (4) char-
acters shall be numeric for all other ve-
hicles.

Reference: Page 175 of http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2005-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2005-title49-vol6-subtitleB-chapV.pdf

Interesting VIN changes if you go by the window sticker of this Tesla spotted at the Hawthorne Supercharger (from the Ocean Blue thread)

prkzbWn.jpg

The 8th digit (where you would expect to see a 1 or a 2, indicating the motor) is a 4!

Just a wild ass guess, but maybe has to do with whether it is a 85D vs P85D? Or autopilot??

1 = single motor
2 = dual motor (non performance)
3 = ?? dual motor performance
4 = dual motor performance with autopilot ??

Doesn't quite make sense though. What about dual motor non-performance with autopilot, or single motor with autopilot? :/

halp.

Interesting VIN changes if you go by the window sticker of this Tesla spotted at the Hawthorne Supercharger (from the Ocean Blue thread)
The 8th digit (where you would expect to see a 1 or a 2, indicating the motor) is a 4!

Just a wild ass guess, but maybe has to do with whether it is a 85D vs P85D? Or autopilot??

1 = single motor
Interesting. Recent P85D (like mine, finished production about a month ago) have '2'

1 = single motor

Doesn't quite make sense though. What about dual motor non-performance with autopilot, or single motor with autopilot? :/

There's no reason to try and encode autopilot status into the VIN at this point. Might have been for 2014 but it's too late to fix that now. All 2015 cars have autopilot hardware.

I'm betting on:

1 = single motor
2 = dual motor (can't tell performance status)
3 = dual motor (non performance)
4 = dual motor (performance)

The distinction between the 2 and 3 is that the 2 value doesn't tell you if something is a P so you can't say that the car isn't a P you just have to look at other data. The 3 and 4 values tell not just that the vehicle is AWD but also that you can determine P status from the VIN.

People have been complaining about the lack of a way to tell between the trims. The current scheme you can't tell a P85D from an 85D. And this very likely explains the mass of 85D vehicles that had VINs reassigned.

Based on this you can determine the trim levels as follows:

S60 = Digit 7 is S
S85 = Digit 7 is H and Digit 8 is 1
85D = Digit 7 is H and Digit 8 is 3
P85D = Digit 7 is H and Digit 8 is 4

I'm betting on:
S60 = Digit 7 is S
S85 = Digit 7 is H and Digit 8 is 1
85D = Digit 7 is H and Digit 8 is 3
P85D = Digit 7 is H and Digit 8 is 4

It looks like you're right on the money. Tesla have recently updated their VIN info for Australian delivered vehicles
S60 S1
S85 H1
P85 H2
S85D H3
P85D H4

That suggests they haven't ruled out bringing back a performance single motor version.

Saw an Ocean Blue 70D tonight at the Bellevue, WA store (actually were in the mall for other reasons stopped by the store to look at the new color samples and they told me they had a blue one downstairs so we swung by). Took a picture of the VIN. The 70D just uses the S for Standard Capacity and the 2 for Dual Motors. But the combination of the two allows them to be uniquely distinguished from S60, 85D, and P85Ds since no other configuration can have both of those values together (60D's would have but didn't get made).

IMG_20150410_212232.jpg

How difficult is it to find new VIN decoding submissions? Perhaps Tesla submitted an update and we just haven't found it yet. NHTSA might also be keeping it under wraps if the update includes Model X decoding information that Tesla doesn't want to be publicly available yet.

How difficult is it to find new VIN decoding submissions? Perhaps Tesla submitted an update and we just haven't found it yet. NHTSA might also be keeping it under wraps if the update includes Model X decoding information that Tesla doesn't want to be publicly available yet.

It's very easy to find, instructions at the bottom of the wiki post. There's still no update. I suppose you could be correct about NHTSA holding back if it's got Model X info in it. But I'd expect that Tesla would just file another update for the X later. Rather surprised that there's still no filing that documents the change to the build phase code. Those cars have been on the road for months now.