Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As pointed out in the Model X forum, the U.S. Model S VIN decodings have been updated here: ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG11229.pdf

Digit 7 is now Fuel Type: E = Electric. This seems like a waste of a digit as it's pretty obvious for Teslas, unless this is a precursor to industry-wide changes where fuel type must be consistently noted within the VIN.

Good update - thanks

I have attached a list that shows a VIN-sequence of Norwegian 70D cars. The list contains only 70D cars.

As you can see, the VINs are grouped by car-type, then by color.

But the 9th character in the VIN seems to be incrementing along the VIN, and then "wrapping" back around. Is this some kind of check-digit?

View attachment 92009

I too find this impressive. This really shows some kind of batching happening at least with VINs by car types (color is a big one, as you can clearly see grouping) and I am going to wager that the others is subtle option choices within the groupings which is why the whites are in two clusters, and especially black (that is clearly a more common color) with it being broken up. It also indicates batching by country.

Both of these were things most people suspected and believed to be true, but I don't think we ever had evidence of it. This validates those things. So thank you for pulling this data for us!

- - - Updated - - -

Also to add, I too have a VIN with the "E" marker, Came here to find out what that was supposed to indicate, and glad someone was able to get to the bottom of it. Thanks everyone!

I too find this impressive. This really shows some kind of batching happening at least with VINs by car types (color is a big one, as you can clearly see grouping) and I am going to wager that the others is subtle option choices within the groupings which is why the whites are in two clusters, and especially black (that is clearly a more common color) with it being broken up. It also indicates batching by country.

Both of these were things most people suspected and believed to be true, but I don't think we ever had evidence of it. This validates those things. So thank you for pulling this data for us!

Not only that - at least this batch does only have one gap of one car in it (in the blue group)! Very cool, too bad I didn´t see it earlier, was orignally posted in Aug. BTW, that is the guy who researches the Norwegian numbers and posts them weekly on elbilforum.no, constantly quoted in the EU deliveries thread. Just added to his reputation.

Not only that - at least this batch does only have one gap of one car in it (in the blue group)! Very cool, too bad I didn´t see it earlier, was orignally posted in Aug. BTW, that is the guy who researches the Norwegian numbers and posts them weekly on elbilforum.no, constantly quoted in the EU deliveries thread. Just added to his reputation.

Thanks for the support! :) It's very easy to collect info about cars in Norway, since the registration-info is public.
What about Germany, hobbes, is the registration-data open to the public?

Carbon Spoiler

Good update - thanks

How did you get a carbon spoiler on your 70D?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi I'm new to the group. Ordered a 70D. Confirmed 1/20/16. Never owned a vehicle before so this is my first car purchase.

70D | Midnight Silver Metallic | Panoramic Roof | 19" cyclone wheels | Black Next Gen Seats | Carbon Fiber Decor | Autopilot | Premium Interior | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Smart Air Suspension | Subzero Package

Yes, the Carbon spoiler is available aftermarket for around $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...ash=item1a0677dea9:g:~~gAAOSwgQ9Vn5sf&vxp=mtr

OEM also now available from Tesla in their store for $1,500... IMHO not worth the price difference :crying:
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/carbon-fiber-spoiler

How did you get a carbon spoiler on your 70D?
Hi I'm new to the group. Ordered a 70D. Confirmed 1/20/16. Never owned a vehicle before so this is my first car purchase.

Not sure how he got one on a 70D but spoilers can be bought aftermarket, they are held on with heavy duty double stick tape.

Digit 12, Production Series:
A = Alpha Prototype
B = Beta Prototype
R = Release Candidate Vehicle
P = Production Vehicle
S = Signature Series Vehicle
F = Founder Series Vehicle
0-9 = Production Vehicle (replaces P to allow 6 digit sequence numbers)
Hmm, Having had my order confirmed less than 10 hours ago, I already have a VIN. Is this faster than normal? I thought it took a few days?

Anyway, any explanation as to the difference between the Production and Founder types?

My VIN is a founder one, I thought it would be a production one. Maybe it's related to being one of the first facelift versions?

Hmm, Having had my order confirmed less than 10 hours ago, I already have a VIN. Is this faster than normal? I thought it took a few days?

Anyway, any explanation as to the difference between the Production and Founder types?

My VIN is a founder one, I thought it would be a production one. Maybe it's related to being one of the first facelift versions?

FYI....my VIN arrived in a couple of hours after confirm as has many others here. Regarding the VIN, be sure you are looking at digit 12 vs 11 which is F for manufacturing location, as in Freemont. Enjoy the thrill whatever it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: tfboy
Hi Guys, the P85D that I just leased from Tesla has this vin. I would have expected it to have a 4 for the performance battery. What do you think? Do you think it still is a performance without the 4? 5YJSA1H26EFP55129

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, the P85D that I just leased from Tesla has this vin. I would have expected it to have a 4 for the performance battery. What do you think? Do you think it still is a performance without the 4? 5YJSA1H26EFP55129
I don't think they implemented the 4 for performance until 2015. Since you have a 2014 VIN, the 2 just delineates single vs. dual motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a note from my insurance agent that my VIN comes up as a 70D or 90D, not a 75D. Anyone have any idea why there would be any confusion? I looked at the Tesla's letter to the NHTSA and I see the battery size indicators are not coded in VIN (70, 75 & 90m etc.).

My VIN begins with 5YJSA1E2XHF------. The order for the car was confirmed May 4, 2017.

Last edited: