Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decoding the Reservation #?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been posted already - I did a search and couldn't find a thread. I thought for sure someone would have posted this...

I've gotten my RN from my Tesla account, and it's a nine digit number, so clearly it doesn't depict my place in line. I'm just wondering if there's been any mention of how, or even if, it's possible to decode the RN???

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted already - I did a search and couldn't find a thread. i thought for sure someone would have posted this...

I've gotten my RN from my Tesla account, and it's a nine digit number, so clearly it doesn't depict my place in line. I'm just wondering if there's been any mention of how, or even if, it's possible to decode the RN???
No, they are completely random. My two reservations placed simultaneously differ by over 70,000.

Reactions: tkizzy
The number is meaningless right now because of how the cars will be delivered. All that is speculated so far is that the numbers appear to have the dealer number embedded, if you bought from a local sales office that is.

Too many variables to predict delivery:Employee/Owner/Non Owner/Location within N. America/Location outside of N. America/Right hand drive/Highly optioned

I'm east coast, bought very early on the announce day. I've pretty much accepted that to get my car quick(er) I'll need to upgrade the battery at the least, not to mention add a few more things.

The number is meaningless right now because of how the cars will be delivered. All that is speculated so far is that the numbers appear to have the dealer number embedded, if you bought from a local sales office that is.

Too many variables to predict delivery:Employee/Owner/Non Owner/Location within N. America/Location outside of N. America/Right hand drive/Highly optioned

I'm east coast, bought very early on the announce day. I've pretty much accepted that to get my car quick(er) I'll need to upgrade the battery at the least, not to mention add a few more things.

Yes, I'm in the same boat - I'm on the East Coast and ordered before the unveiling. I'm definitely adding more options if that means getting it earlier.

I'm getting at the very least: AWD, autopilot "convenience"/tech pkg and cold weather pkg. I'll seriously consider ludicrous upgrade depending on price.

From what I've learned so far in a short amount of time is that the RN starts with 1081 or 1071. I'm wondering if there are other variations in the first 4 digits? Anyone else get something different?

That then leaves us with the remaining 5 digits, which couldn't depict place in line, unless some people have gotten a RN longer than 9 digits total. I'd love to hear from anyone that has possibly received a RN longer than 9 digits.