TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Decreased range with performance package?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dan5, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Dan5

Dan5 Member

Do you think the range will decrease slightly due to the high performance inverter?
    My way of thinking is that the inverter should have more wattage so it should be slightly less efficient driving from point A to point B, but provides enough for a surge (increased 0-60).

If it weighs a few lbs more, that will not decrease the range significantly

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Tesla says it shouldn't affect range. From their Features page:

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The temptation towards rapid right foot depression will probably reduce range....

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yup, but that'll happen in any trim S depending on the driver. Good to know though, that if I want to hypermile, I can.

5. richkae

richkae VIN587

However if they add a cosmetic spoiler, it will probably hurt aerodynamics and reduce range.
    If I get the performance package, I will delete the spoiler. They are ugly on a lot of cars.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

But you haven't seen this one, and who knows, maybe tesla will do it right (performance, looks and efficiency). Might be a long shot, but at least wait for more info.

7. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

A high-power inverter is generally slightly more efficient. (At a high cost for the added efficiency). This is die to more or better power MOSFET transistors being used.

However, as mentioned, this assumes that the two cars are driven identically. If you use the extra performance, it will use more energy.