Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreased Residual Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone effected by the recent price drops. Ie you recent bought a model x with 100D and now over night they dropped the price almost 15 percent on the same car if bought literally a month later.?

This is the largest price drop ever. Normally a 90D would be been dropped by an increase to a 100D but there is no larger battery currently. Can anyone comment on past price adjustnadj between models.

I just months of taking delivery we list 22k CAD. I'm just floored.

Yes, due to the price drops for the S100D and EAP+FSD I have an additional 25.000 EUR (28.250 USD) depreciation (20%+) in a few months and I'm lucky that I do not have the SP100D!

It just is a too big of a price cut hurting existing customer loyalty.

Reactions: ra88it
Another perspective:-

I bought my car (MX 75D) a year ago when finance rates were much cheaper. Since then PCP rates in the UK have shot up from 1.5% to 5.4% and I was starting to think I probably wouldn't be replacing it with another MX in 3 years time. The monthly cost on finance was about £300 more than what I'm paying. The recent price drop has now effectively brought the finance cost down to a similar level as a year ago. Actually still a bit more expensive, but with a bigger battery to compensate. With the higher interest rates and previous high retail price, they had effectively priced themselves out of the market here. So a correction was always on the cards to remain competitive.

The massive price drop in "P" models is another story! But IMHO they were always way over-priced and that view was widely held throughout the industry. People paying £40k for the extra performance had to have really deep pockets to justify it! If you can afford to stretch that far, then you can afford to lose it too. Look what happened to the residual prices of the BMW i8?

The biggest losers will be those flipping their brand new cars after a few months, but they are not likely to be loyal customers anyway. For long term owners it's just a loss on paper and any loss in residual value will be offset against a cheaper replacement Tesla. It works both ways.

Definitely a lot of unhappy Tesla customers out there. I don't agree with the opinions out there that this is no different to buying a phone or laptop and it becomes outdated / cheaper. Phones and laptops don't cost $100k+ and get slashed in price every few months. Not unless they are not selling and are in a fire sale.

Seems Tesla's Asian customers are expressing their unhappiness with protests. As China is a big part of Tesla's plan to sell more vehicles maybe that will spur Tesla to address this. Outside of a the fiercely loyal Tesla die hards - people are pissed off. Tesla aren't getting great publicity over this.

Tesla owners literally protest over drastic price cuts

Human nature at its very best! A bunch of very wealthy people getting upset because their Tesla has had a big price cut. I wouldn't be very happy either if I'd just bought a P100DL last week, but I wouldn't be protesting about it and pissing off other Tesla owners. What a waste of time. They should look at the bigger picture and be thankful they can even afford an expensive car.

Well that is your view and you are absolutely entitled to it. The same way that owners who have invested their money in a Tesla are entitled to show their feelings and protest against Tesla's decisions, I for one agree that this was very badly handled by Tesla and they are now seeing the repercussions with bad media coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GreenT
Well that is your view and you are absolutely entitled to it. The same way that owners who have invested their money in a Tesla are entitled to show their feelings and protest against Tesla's decisions, I for one agree that this was very badly handled by Tesla and they are now seeing the repercussions with bad media coverage.

Sure. I just don't see what they expect to achieve by pissing off other Tesla owners at superchargers and potential buyers at the stores. Tesla didn't drop the price because they want to make less money. Let's assume it was done for long term survival, which ultimately has more effect on their residuals than anything else. This is the price of relatively early adoption in a market that's about to explode in the next few years. There are a lot more worthy causes to protest in China than the price of a f****** Tesla!

Definitely a lot of unhappy Tesla customers out there. I don't agree with the opinions out there that this is no different to buying a phone or laptop and it becomes outdated / cheaper. Phones and laptops don't cost $100k+ and get slashed in price every few months. Not unless they are not selling and are in a fire sale.

Seems Tesla's Asian customers are expressing their unhappiness with protests. As China is a big part of Tesla's plan to sell more vehicles maybe that will spur Tesla to address this. Outside of a the fiercely loyal Tesla die hards - people are pissed off. Tesla aren't getting great publicity over this.

Tesla owners literally protest over drastic price cuts

Finally someone who is speaking some sense. And in Canada, we have had no change in our EV credit, so the drop is not offset at all here. Usually new electronics will naturally cause the prior generation to fall in value - usually the identical model does NOT fall in value by a large margin. And for electronics, people don't factor in resale value when calculating their cost of ownership. Totally different situations.

With todays announcement of the upcoming V3 Superchargers I believe the resale value of all the used Tesla in the fleet just went up.

First reports are a doubling of speeds for the new V3 and 25% at the existing Superchargers as they get updated to the new protocols.

Model 3 will get the first updated firmware with legacy Model S & X to follow.

As new firmware is distributed, the cars will even pre-condition the batteries to be ready to fast charge if you select a supercharger to navigate.

Evidently much of this new technology was developed in Tesla's large array battery back up and storage systems that are being deployed all around the World.

Should not only allow for faster charging, but also increase the number of cars they can charge in a day and greatly decrease congestion.

Good news for the faithful...

Reactions: Mrcook4590
With todays announcement of the upcoming V3 Superchargers I believe the resale value of all the used Tesla in the fleet just went up.

First reports are a doubling of speeds for the new V3 and 25% at the existing Superchargers as they get updated to the new protocols.

Model 3 will get the first updated firmware with legacy Model S & X to follow.

As new firmware is distributed, the cars will even pre-condition the batteries to be ready to fast charge if you select a supercharger to navigate.

Evidently much of this new technology was developed in Tesla's large array battery back up and storage systems that are being deployed all around the World.

Should not only allow for faster charging, but also increase the number of cars they can charge in a day and greatly decrease congestion.

Good news for the faithful...

But how does this improve resale value, esp after the huge price cuts?

I don't know about the US, but that would be a pretty good residual here in the UK. What sort of discount are you expecting on a new Tesla?
Previous lease documents had 60%+ and for an msrp of 154K that 9% difference translates to about -/+ $385/mo. Discount honestly would just be to bring those previous models down to what you’d be able to order now. If it was lower due to price adjustments and showroom models then it would be even better.

My lease is up in June after 3 years and I am going to buy the car out. I really do not see any benefit to getting a new MX currently (have P90DL) as "self driving" is a mirage and current batteries offer little extra range. Most of us early buyers are likely waiting for next gen battery packs and that is probably 2-3 years away. Current price cuts make little difference since lower trade in is offset by lower cost for new (unless moving to a different car company product) and those who bought at high prices recently will likely have their cars for a long time. What burns me more is that as of a year ago, our BC provincial taxes add 25% to cost of cars over 160K and this is currently adding 800 dollars to my monthly lease costs.