Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedham, MA Tesla woes... "Hugh"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it was me having gone this far, I’d wait for Monday delivery. My delivery wasn’t great and I could have walked but I don’t regret taking the car. I took delivery of a June 2018 build car in March of this year. Asking the delivery guy “where the hell has this car been all this time, I was hoping for a 2019 build?” He told me the equivalent of “ Stay in your lane bro”. So far after 7k miles the car has been great. I wish you good luck in getting your car ASAP.

Much appreciated @hcdavis3 - I am nervous that this is just a bad omen for the future. I really really want to like Tesla, but this is going beyond just inconvenience. I've been pushed around too long and I do not excuse bad customer service. It's not like I'm one of those entitled individuals. I just want to be treated like a human being who is trying to do right by the world. I get if the guy is feeling like he is stuck and doesn't have many options, but then don't get pissy about it to me - it is not my fault whatsoever so don't take it out on me, ok?

I just want a very safe and reliable car that I can feel good that I'm doing something for the environment. Is that such a terrible thing?

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Once you get behind the wheel you will forget about this ordeal. I picked my car up on 12/31 in Dedham, you can just imagine the chaos there at that time. My time for delivery was 11:30, they neglected to inform me that it wouldn't be until 3:30. Mind you I had all 3 kids with me and my wife was at work. No problem, they rented a Model S from Enterprise so that I could at least go out and get the kids fed. Did that and came back. More chaos as the place felt like a rave party with the number of people waiting. By 5:30 I had the plates put on the car and the local Liberty Mutual insurance folks getting my car insurance so that I can drive it off the lot. This may not sound ideal and would not be found in other luxury dealerships but let me tell you a story about my wifes recent purchase.

As much as my wife would like a Model X we just can't swing 2 Tesla payments so she decided to just get an SUV elsewhere. She found a 2014 Audi Q7 from a local Audi/VW dealership. Low miles (off a lease from Cali) and great price. Bank and insurance was not pleasant as the bank wanted 30 day binder but insurance agent was only willing to give 2 days. Got that ironed out. Wife agreed with her sales rep that we would pick it up on Wednesday around 5:30. We walk in around 6 and the first words out of his mouth were 'Were you transferring plates?'. I'm like WTF do you mean? I specifically told you we were not trading anything in. Well, because of that we couldn't pick up the car. They would deliver it to the house by noon. Well, 1:30 rolls by and they pull up with the vehicle. First thing I notice is the wheels are all missing their center caps. The car also failed inspection so I suspect something faulted and they had to replace something which requires the computers to reset (She went back after a few days and it passed). She also asked why the car was delivered with hardly any fuel and washer fluid. Their response? 'We only do that on new cars'. Like seriously? Mind you this place is a ghost town. She also asked if the cars computer/Nav were all up to date. 'Not sure, our Audi expert won't be in until next week'. Audi expert? All of you should be Audi experts.

Needless to say it was not a pleasant experience and would very much rather deal with another end of year delivery experience at Tesla any day.

Once you get behind the wheel you will forget about this ordeal. I picked my car up on 12/31 in Dedham, you can just imagine the chaos there at that time. My time for delivery was 11:30, they neglected to inform me that it wouldn't be until 3:30. Mind you I had all 3 kids with me and my wife was at work. No problem, they rented a Model S from Enterprise so that I could at least go out and get the kids fed. Did that and came back. More chaos as the place felt like a rave party with the number of people waiting. By 5:30 I had the plates put on the car and the local Liberty Mutual insurance folks getting my car insurance so that I can drive it off the lot. This may not sound ideal and would not be found in other luxury dealerships but let me tell you a story about my wifes recent purchase.

As much as my wife would like a Model X we just can't swing 2 Tesla payments so she decided to just get an SUV elsewhere. She found a 2014 Audi Q7 from a local Audi/VW dealership. Low miles (off a lease from Cali) and great price. Bank and insurance was not pleasant as the bank wanted 30 day binder but insurance agent was only willing to give 2 days. Got that ironed out. Wife agreed with her sales rep that we would pick it up on Wednesday around 5:30. We walk in around 6 and the first words out of his mouth were 'Were you transferring plates?'. I'm like WTF do you mean? I specifically told you we were not trading anything in. Well, because of that we couldn't pick up the car. They would deliver it to the house by noon. Well, 1:30 rolls by and they pull up with the vehicle. First thing I notice is the wheels are all missing their center caps. The car also failed inspection so I suspect something faulted and they had to replace something which requires the computers to reset (She went back after a few days and it passed). She also asked why the car was delivered with hardly any fuel and washer fluid. Their response? 'We only do that on new cars'. Like seriously? Mind you this place is a ghost town. She also asked if the cars computer/Nav were all up to date. 'Not sure, our Audi expert won't be in until next week'. Audi expert? All of you should be Audi experts.

Needless to say it was not a pleasant experience and would very much rather deal with another end of year delivery experience at Tesla any day.

Wow - just wow... I'm so sorry that happened to you. I have never really been an Audi fan. My trade-in vehicle is a BMW. It surprises me that the level of intellect of people in general seem to be going downhill. We are de-evolving... we are now dealing with people who have to rely on a computer to tell them what to do instead of thinking on their own.

True, I was (am?) getting a Tesla that has the ability to do things for me... but that is a feature I want to have to SUPPLEMENT my driving experience. I am dumbfounded by the sheer stupidity of this situation and even more about the lack of willingness to break through beyond the small box thinking these guys think they need to stay within.

Systems go down and deliveries get delayed. You never custom ordered another brand car before? It usually takes 6-8 weeks and gets delayed.
First of all, that’s quite the assumption. Very constructive

secondly it’s not an excuse for bad customer service. Systems should not “go down” or be expected to regularly. That’s bogus. Fix it then.

yes I understand custom orders. But when cars were being delivered regularly at 2-3 weeks after order, and then suddenly changes to 8+ and counting (and with no updates, communication or answers) that’s quite curious and aggravating!!

Reactions: skydreamerjae
First of all, that’s quite the assumption. Very constructive

secondly it’s not an excuse for bad customer service. Systems should not “go down” or be expected to regularly. That’s bogus. Fix it then.

yes I understand custom orders. But when cars were being delivered regularly at 2-3 weeks after order, and then suddenly changes to 8+ and counting (and with no updates, communication or answers) that’s quite curious and aggravating!!

I wouldn't be surprised if @quikshifter is a Tesla delivery center rep... If I am to believe he/she is actually in Houston, then I take solace that this is not "Hugh" at Dedham, MA. If @quikshifter is not a Tesla employee, then he/she is just a sad human being with no empathy.

Thanks @PhillyDoc for defending what is right. I wish you the best!

This is just... scary... I am not sure what to do here. Basically I am at a point of 1) asking whether I have come this far so I should see it through, or 2) run... run far far away

I need a new vehicle. This is not a toy for us. The reason we went this way was to support the cause. But it is now feeling like a terrible price to pay.

Please please please someone tell me I shouldnt worry and this is just a minor bump in the road.

No one can tell you what to do. I will say this; if it’s a car you *need*. Walk away.

If it’s a second car and you can potentially deal with it being out of commission for a period of time then consider moving forward.

Did anyone mention they don’t provide loaner vehicles anymore?

Good luck with your choice.

Be patient. I also had a terrible delivery experience (and worse than what you have had so far) but the car has dramatically exceeded expectations. Others have made same point in this thread and multiple others.

My take on the delivery experience is it is probably due to hiring people who are not really in the car industry and have nothing to do with the actual engineering or manufacturing of the car. I can't explain why this is tolerated at higher levels of Tesla.

The service app thing is also somewhat frustrating, but on my prior model S (now I have a M3P) the service was excellent and mobile service (when applicable) is an amazing thing.

Hang in there, don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Much appreciated @hcdavis3 - I am nervous that this is just a bad omen for the future. I really really want to like Tesla, but this is going beyond just inconvenience. I've been pushed around too long and I do not excuse bad customer service. It's not like I'm one of those entitled individuals. I just want to be treated like a human being who is trying to do right by the world. I get if the guy is feeling like he is stuck and doesn't have many options, but then don't get pissy about it to me - it is not my fault whatsoever so don't take it out on me, ok?

I just want a very safe and reliable car that I can feel good that I'm doing something for the environment. Is that such a terrible thing?

I tell everyone who asks about our Teslas that they are the least reliable cars that we still love. Owning a Tesla is a bit like owning an exotic at this point. Only one place to get them serviced, parts can be hard to come by, expensive out of warranty. I tell them that over the air updates are great, but there are a lot of software bugs. I also now tell people that service sucks, because it does in my area.

To buy a Tesla you have to be willing to overlook their growing pains and roll with the punches. Service used to be amazing, so I had no issues with our unreliable Model S, because they always took great care of us. That has gone downhill in the last year and a half or so, we will see if Tesla can recover from “service hell” and provide the level of service they used to. If my car was totaled today, I would probably buy another 3, but I am keeping a very close eye on the competition. If Tesla doesn’t figure service out in a few years, I will bail.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
No one can tell you what to do. I will say this; if it’s a car you *need*. Walk away.

If it’s a second car and you can potentially deal with it being out of commission for a period of time then consider moving forward.

Did anyone mention they don’t provide loaner vehicles anymore?

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks @glide... definitely something to consider. I appreciate the insight. "Need" is a relative term. Technically, we have another vehicle - my wife's Honda Fit who we were passing down to my son. This is the vehicle we've been riding into Boston with over the last month... not as comfy as I expect the Tesla to be :)

My wife and I are literally sitting at a Honda service center getting excellent service right now (oil and filter changes). We have been talking about whether we really want to risk this. It comes down to whether we want to keep supporting an organization and a mission regardless of how we are treated.

Our home is powered 100% by wind. We were looking to do our part for the environment in our travel arrangements as well. Our Honda Fit is getting 40mpg. We are trading in our BMW that is only getting 32mpg. This is just as much about making sure that we are all rowing in the same direction...

Be patient. I also had a terrible delivery experience (and worse than what you have had so far) but the car has dramatically exceeded expectations. Others have made same point in this thread and multiple others.

My take on the delivery experience is it is probably due to hiring people who are not really in the car industry and have nothing to do with the actual engineering or manufacturing of the car. I can't explain why this is tolerated at higher levels of Tesla.

The service app thing is also somewhat frustrating, but on my prior model S (now I have a M3P) the service was excellent and mobile service (when applicable) is an amazing thing.

Hang in there, don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Thanks @esrandl - I am at 50-50. I am pretty sure we're just going to show up there this morning. We need to know that we're not just getting jerked around here. My VIN is no longer showing up on my page (though it is in source code still).

Something is fishy here and I already don't trust anything coming out of Tesla. If you can't trust the people you're working with, how can we expect that things will be OK in the future.

I really would like to believe that this will all work - I truly do. I've been looking forward to owning a Tesla since they were first announced. Now, I have the opportunity to do so and the goal post seems to keep running away from us.

As a Model X owner in MA, I had the same woes as you. Mine was that the system was that the RMV’s system was down so they could not do the registration with a few other delays. I took delivery Two weeks after the original delivery date. I also just placed an order for a Model 3 Long Range AWD. I do feel your pain. My situation is different since I do not have a family and the only thing I do is work. I apologize on behalf of Tesla Dedham.

@Ratoncito - Sorry to hear this is happening to you. I had a terrible delivery experience and will most likely not purchase another Tesla again.

I had my car in for service on Wednesday at Rocklin, CA and they either curbed the left front wheel or damaged it during the alignment. Didn't notice it until I got home, but now it's too late to prove they did it and not me. Learned a lesson that a cursory walk around the car is not enough when getting the car back.

I just want to say when you do take delivery of your car, make sure to get in writing anything they are promising you (Ex - we will fix this paint or realign the frunk). Make sure to get a copy of the Due Bill or at least take a pic of it.

I'm hoping your delivery goes smoothly and I hope the experience is a great one. Good Luck !!

As a Model X owner in MA, I had the same woes as you. Mine was that the system was that the RMV’s system was down so they could not do the registration with a few other delays. I took delivery Two weeks after the original delivery date. I also just placed an order for a Model 3 Long Range AWD. I do feel your pain. My situation is different since I do not have a family and the only thing I do is work. I apologize on behalf of Tesla Dedham.

Thanks @Hovscorpion1 I very much appreciate it. I also am very sorry about your experience. I don't wish this on anyone - outside of your home, the family vehicle is likely to be the most expensive purchase. It just shouldn't be this way.

The Tesla delivery experience is frequently awful. I always tell people to expect the worst. Tesla hires people right out of high school with no prior automotive or customer service experience. They are understaffed and overwhelmed. Providing thoughtful eloquent responses to customer concerns is not a priority to them. They just have to power through a bunch of phone calls when stuff like this happens and then get back to work.

You will enjoy your car once you take delivery and the experience you had up until then will be long forgotten a week after you take off with your new car. It’s frustrating but be patient. It’s worth the wait. I’ve gone through five deliveries now. They are not usually without hiccups.

For what is worth, got delivery of my Model S at Dedham the last few days of 2016 year. End of a quarter but way before the Model 3 craziness. In general I had very positive experience with the Tesla Dedham people. Everything was on time, as promised. Also I have extremely positive experience with Tesla Dedham service. All issues under warranty (and I had a few) resolved (slow, due to parts being out of stock etc but resolved), always got Tesla loaners, always getting daily updates on where they are in the process of fixing the car etc. You will also find people having terrible experiences with Tesla Dedham, like the OP's. I think they are extremely understaffed for the size of the area they serve.

My personal opinion, is that when you make the decision to buy a Tesla, you have to be prepared to deal with issues like the OP's. Besides the success in the last 4-5 years, Tesla is still a very new car company. They still try to figure things out. If you are expecting perfection, in any aspect (sales, support, service, reliability etc) you will be very disappointed. Yes, it is not fair when you pay $50K, $80K, or even $100K for the car, but this is the reality. When you do the research and finally make the decision to buy the Tesla, you should be prepared for all that.

To the OP, my suggestion here is to try and deal with those issues as best as you can. Any conspiracy theory like "they found another buyer" just makes things worst. Be patient (I know, not easy), and as others said, the reward of driving the car at the end, will erase all those bad experiences.

Just my 2c

Reactions: Holo and Sherlo
My 2cents: Yes, delivery via Dedham sucked and was delayed inexplicably several times. Processing registration was especially incompetent.

Since then I can only rave good things about the car.

My two at-home services were fine, including one while parked at an airport in Maine and I wasn’t present. Both took a while for an appointment but I wasn’t in any rush, so it didn’t matter.

If I wanted to rant about really piss poor service don’t get me started about the local Toyota dealer.