Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedham, MA Tesla woes... "Hugh"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla system of Manufacturer direct deliveries works pretty well most of the time, but there are always going to be cases like this where things get flakey right at delivery.

Legacy manufacturers have a buffer zone built is, as they do not deal direct, but have a huge force of independent dealerships that preform the last mile delivery. While more expensive, it isolates the manufacturer from the issues of dealing with all the customer details.

These dealership are the ones that negotiate the final sales price with the end customer. They pad the bill with additional dealership markup to provide them with a nice profit. They hire lots of friendly sales people and a few hard nosed profit centric sales managers. These are the people that you will interact with buying a car. They not only mark up the price of the car, but also the price of financing, options, aftermarket protection services, tire warranty etc. They usually plan on spending at least 3 hours with you, selecting a car and negottiating pricing. They will give you test rides, answer your questions, and typically try to guide you to the most profitable cars.

"What is it going to take to get you into a new car today?" "How much were you planning to pay?" "How do you like that one over there ?" are common conversations. They are trained to take control of the conversation and the sales process. They slap each other on the back when one of them scored big with a fat deal. They are paid on a % of the profit they can make on each "Mark"

The dealership pays them nothing to spend time with you, so they are encouraged to tie up up for most of the day, and "Wear you down" for the Sales Manager to do the final close. Not all that unusual for you to get a call the next day to hear that they mispriced your car, and that you will need to pay "only a few extra dollars per month" to keep the deal from being cancelled.

They will degrade your trade in by the touch method. An appraiser will walk around your car in front of you, and occasionally touch a scratch, dent of scuff. They will touch the tread on your tires and make a knowing smile or touch the curb rash on your rims. They know that each touch will help them to reduce the amount they can offer you for your trade.

These people are trained in the are of maximizing the profit on every sale or trade. They know what they are doing and smile a lot while raiding your wallet.

They are masters of making everyone feel like they got a great deal, and are amazing and hard bargainers, but usually the only one getting a great deal is the dealership.

The Tesla system of Manufacturer direct deliveries works pretty well most of the time, but there are always going to be cases like this where things get flakey right at delivery.

Legacy manufacturers have a buffer zone built is, as they do not deal direct, but have a huge force of independent dealerships that preform the last mile delivery. While more expensive, it isolates the manufacturer from the issues of dealing with all the customer details.

These dealership are the ones that negotiate the final sales price with the end customer. They pad the bill with additional dealership markup to provide them with a nice profit. They hire lots of friendly sales people and a few hard nosed profit centric sales managers. These are the people that you will interact with buying a car. They not only mark up the price of the car, but also the price of financing, options, aftermarket protection services, tire warranty etc. They usually plan on spending at least 3 hours with you, selecting a car and negottiating pricing. They will give you test rides, answer your questions, and typically try to guide you to the most profitable cars.

"What is it going to take to get you into a new car today?" "How much were you planning to pay?" "How do you like that one over there ?" are common conversations. They are trained to take control of the conversation and the sales process. They slap each other on the back when one of them scored big with a fat deal. They are paid on a % of the profit they can make on each "Mark"

The dealership pays them nothing to spend time with you, so they are encouraged to tie up up for most of the day, and "Wear you down" for the Sales Manager to do the final close. Not all that unusual for you to get a call the next day to hear that they mispriced your car, and that you will need to pay "only a few extra dollars per month" to keep the deal from being cancelled.

They will degrade your trade in by the touch method. An appraiser will walk around your car in front of you, and occasionally touch a scratch, dent of scuff. They will touch the tread on your tires and make a knowing smile or touch the curb rash on your rims. They know that each touch will help them to reduce the amount they can offer you for your trade.

These people are trained in the are of maximizing the profit on every sale or trade. They know what they are doing and smile a lot while raiding your wallet.

They are masters of making everyone feel like they got a great deal, and are amazing and hard bargainers, but usually the only one getting a great deal is the dealership.

In addition, the dealer sales process has tens of billions of dollars tied up in capital. There are some 16,000 new car dealers in the US, was here with $10-100 million dollars of capital tied up.

Tesla has strategically reduced the cost of distribution by reducing inventory and salespeople.

Similarly Tesla has effectively no advertising or direct marketing expenses. Most car companies spend over 10% of gross revenues on advertising and marketing.

The traditional car companies will have an extremely difficult time competing.

Reactions: Sherlo
This is difficult to respond to, because @Ratoncito had a bad experience, and I don't blame him for being angry. Nothing can be done to erase that memory. It's also a real tough question to answer because of the great unknown future.

No doubt, Tesla has its warts. You can only base future predictions based on past results. The biggest questions are "how reliable is it?" and "is it worth it to put up with all this?".

Reliability: Early on, terrible! Recently, anecdotal evidence is "much improved". I see as many (or more) "car was perfect" than "myriad of issues". Then there's this: Tesla Model 3 and Model S regain Consumer Reports recommendation for reliability - Electrek

I agree with electrek's issues with CR's reliability ratings, but the gist is, improvement has been noted (keeping in mind it's a rolling average, so recent positive experiences are pushing the index higher).

Is it worth it? How many times have owners answered here with a resounding "YES!"? In fact, I can't remember seeing any "NO!"'s. Then there's this:Tesla's Model 3 ranked 'most satisfying' car, more than Porsche or Corvette

It should tell you something "most satisfying car on market". 90% of current owners would buy it again, beating 2nd place Audi by nine percentage points.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
HOW does Elon Musk (who loves social media) and his cronies NOT pay attention to this and these forums?!?!
Musk probably gets thousands of Tweets a day. He probably has someone delete them when he is not into reading anything - which could be a good deal of the time.

Tesla does as Tesla will do. Only the big picture will change them. You can have a great product, but bad customer service will eventually kill you. Tesla has a really great product, but not such a comfy relationship with its customers. And it will only get worse as Tesla expands and stretches its cash flow tighter and tighter.

There are good things and bad things about Tesla and the same about conventional dealers. Pick your poison! Whenever there is money to be made, someone will always have their hand in your pocket and mess with your head.

The situation that the OP describes sounds like a totally unqualified, underpaid, and green SA/DA - trying to manage a situation that he was completely incapable of managing. A seasoned representative can take an earthquake, put a positive spin on it, and manage to keep everyone happy. But these people don’t work for minimum wage. Teslas staff probably get paid as little as possible. As such, “Hugh” was way over his head. Tesla is not going to pay for seasoned professionals.

This is what Tesla has decided to do - and it needs to be accepted as what you have to deal with when buying one of their cars. I believe they really had a website outage (their customer site was flaky all yesterday too). Yes, Hugh could have handled this better - but Tesla is Tesla. Maybe in 2022 they will see the light - just not now.

I feel sorry for what the OP has to go through - what all of us deal with. It’s the “cost” of doing business at Tesla these days. So just wait until they get their act together and maybe all will work out. I haven’t even gotten delivery of my car yet, but I know that if you want a Tesla, expect to suffer a bit dealing with their staff. Assuming the car is fine - a month from now this will be a distant bad memory. Good luck.

I couldn’t agree mor so accurate and rings so true with my recent experience in a big local Mercedes dealership. I wonder how long this dealership model will be sustainable for especially given that the younger generation hate confrontation and pushy salesmen

I'm not sure that most people like confrontation and pushy salespeople. The best way to buy a car is to simply not care if you close the deal. And I'm afraid the Tesla method of non-confrontation is procedural more than philosophical. The only way they can deliver cars and replace the sales process using new, inexperienced employees is to fix the price and not pay higher priced "salespeople" to sell the cars.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
UPDATE: I did not cave in. My wife and I decided to just show up unannounced. We asked a sales rep who was on his computer if we could see a manager. He said...

"Well maybe... but what's going on?"

My wife started explaining the situation but the sales rep just kept staring at his computer and kept typing. So I interrupted:

"I am sorry are we disturbing you that you are not able to pay attention to what my wife is saying?"

That got his attention and we got set up with Miguel (the onsite manager). We explained the story and he was VERY apologetic and understanding. He said he would make some calls but that he would be sure that we took delivery today and that he would be around until 5pm to ensure this went smoothly.

We drove back home to pick up the trade in BMW and arrived a couple hours after our originally scheduled delivery time.

I was ruthlessly meticulous in my inspection. Basically the car was mostly flawless but did have an issue with missing rear wheel well retainer clips that hold the wheel well trim to the frame.

They said I would have to schedule repair under warranty so that I could take delivery today. Fine. No big deal. Signed the paperwork and took my whole family out to a celebratory dinner.

Now I am an official Tesla owner! Thanks for.your advice, tidbits, and encouragement. It helped me through dark times.of worry and concern. I hope to be able to pay it forward to others.

Attachments

• 595629868.jpg
    595629868.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 76
Just in time for Ford revealing their Mustang Mach-E tomorrow! I've seen the specs in the trade pubs and it looks like a Model Y competitor in price and features. I think Ford is going to open a wait list site tomorrow too.

Now granted, it isn't a Tesla, but it gives Tesla something to sweat in the real world. No reviews yet, but it is expected to be a real competitor for a change. Every industry needs real competition.

You got it????!!! Fantastic!!!???

Good, kick some Boston butt! I grew up in the Boston Area.

What did they do, have your car hidden under a rock?

Wonderful! You can be a Tesla advocate for everyone. I am amazed that you took "no car" and turned it into "car". Customer 1, Tesla 0!!!!

Ayup! Wasn't going to let myself nor my family down. There was no yelling... just intellectual intensity and bravado. Not saying this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Funny that the car was all set and parked outside ready for delivery. They actually could have done it if they really tried - just like Miguel made happen there.

There was one phrase I remembered the whole time: "Relentless Forward Progress." Hope you all avoid this experience or are able to overcome your own challenges. Have faith my friends!

Congrats on getting your 3 !!! I also have a Deep Blue Metallic 3 with the White seats. Any mods planned in the future ?

Possibly. I had already purchased the basics like all weather mats, aluminum pedals, and wireless charging. Thinking about the spoiler, interior wraps and paint protection.

Any suggestions?

BTW - you all were right. Best vehicle I have owned. Super fun drive, super quiet, and totally comfortable interior. Plus, when charging at home, my vehicle runs entirely on wind power (100% wind energy supplier)

Reactions: BulldogsRus
This is just... scary... I am not sure what to do here. Basically I am at a point of 1) asking whether I have come this far so I should see it through, or 2) run... run far far away

I need a new vehicle. This is not a toy for us. The reason we went this way was to support the cause. But it is now feeling like a terrible price to pay.

Please please please someone tell me I shouldnt worry and this is just a minor bump in the road.

Your current situation is not common. While customer service isn't in a great place right now, this type of delay is not normal and it sounds like they might be having legitimate system problems that are out of your delivery adviser's control. The cars are amazing and I have had good experiences, although curt, at my local service center. They're swamped right now, which should be expected considering the rapid growth in vehicle production and sales in the past year. Tesla needs to build more service centers, hire more customer support staff and step up their game. I'm confident that they'll get there, although there will certainly be other growing pains along the way.

Last year, Tesla was in production hell - on the brink of collapse as they ramped up Model 3 production. Now they're in service hell - trying to keep their heads above water while the financial situation improves and allows them to invest more money into service and support. They're getting there but there are going to be bumps and hiccups along the way.

I recommend hopping off of the forum for the weekend and doing something fun with your wife. Tesla will get this situation sorted out next week and I'm confident that you'll find the car was worth the wait.

Cheers!

PS: this is genuinely how I feel. I'm not just telling you what you want to hear.

Edit: I see you took delivery of your car. Congrats! Blue and white is a stunning color combination. Enjoy!

Last edited: