Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Blue Metallic Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an odd request but let me explain my situation. This is my 3rd quarter in a row that I am putting in an order for my M3P. Been on military deployment since Feb and kept getting extended . Resulting in missing 2 delivery windows. I should be back for this quarters deliveries. I need help with my color choice because I have not seen and will not be able to see a M3P in person in time to put a order in for delivery this quarter. I do not have YouTube or any video streaming access but have been able to see pics on the forum.

I am either going to put an order in for my safe configuration White / White or hopeful Blue / White.

The issue I have is every picture I see of Deep Blue Metallic looks so different. Plus, its a picture on a monitor. So it is not a good representation. Hoping you all can help me out with my final decision.

Is DBM more of a Navy Blue or Royal Blue shade?

Does the shade change depending on light?

What color is the metallic flake?

Does it show off the lines well?

Thanks for you help in advance.

I have an odd request but let me explain my situation. This is my 3rd quarter in a row that I am putting in an order for my M3P. Been on military deployment since Feb and kept getting extended . Resulting in missing 2 delivery windows. I should be back for this quarters deliveries. I need help with my color choice because I have not seen and will not be able to see a M3P in person in time to put a order in for delivery this quarter. I do not have YouTube or any video streaming access but have been able to see pics on the forum.

I am either going to put an order in for my safe configuration White / White or hopeful Blue / White.

The issue I have is every picture I see of Deep Blue Metallic looks so different. Plus, its a picture on a monitor. So it is not a good representation. Hoping you all can help me out with my final decision.

We have a 2016 Model X with deep blue metallic, not sure the color on the new cars is the same but we really like it. More royal blue, no real changes with the light, not that much metallic.

Attachments

• 1E89F37F-6C4B-4158-93E9-8B697D6FDE6B.jpeg
    1E89F37F-6C4B-4158-93E9-8B697D6FDE6B.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 5,925
  • Informative
Reactions: Eddie1218
when it's dark/cloudy it definitely looks more like a navy blue. In really bright light (sun or artificial) it looks a bit like a mix of royal and navy.
I just took delivery of a white/white 2021 Model 3 and honestly in hindsight I feel like I should've gotten blue/white.
The blue is extremely glossy/reflective (and is the most reflective of all M3 colors) which makes it look really awesome in good light and when it's washed.
The only downside is that it shows dirt and scratches more quickly than white, esp. with light reflections.
It's still a rather dark blue though, which is one of the reasons I didn't order it in that color.
Prior to 2021 Model, I would've definitely said the white/white is better than blue/white, mostly because the chrome just looked stupid on the blue one, but with the new black trim the blue one looks pretty cool as the trim blends in well with the rest of the exterior.
Also btw blue hides panel gaps better than white, since these gaps usually appear as black (due to less light) and black hides better on blue than white.

I'm considering to wrap my white/white M3 in indulgent blue btw: https://www.facebook.com/KPMFUSA/photos/pcb.1582621291837916/1582621075171271/

Last edited:

In my experience its dark most of the time. In direct sunlight you'll get some nice sparkle but it never looks like it does on the display and the slightest amount of dust and it wont brighten up as well.

Really happy with the Deep Blue Metallic on my 2021. Depending on the angle of the sun, it can push towards violet, which is really quite striking. With the new black trim and standard aero wheels, it's a stunning combo. It looks fantastic with either interior option. It does show dust and scratches faster than a light color, though, but not nearly as unforgiving as gloss black.

Having seen all the colors, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: Transformer
@Eddie1218 - Can't believe I'm suggesting anything other than white seats (love them!) but, one thing to consider: the DBM Performance looks so good with the darker wheels and chrome delete, you may also appreciate the camouflage effect of having the black interior. As much as I love the white seats, it can add to the already aquarium-like look from the front. With the backdrop of the white seats and the huge window and the stadium seating, I do feel a little bit on display sometimes from the front. Black interior helps a bit with that. Anyway, it's something I hadn't considered before.... and will consider on my next vehicle....before probably ordering white seats again. ;)

My wife has a DBM MX with white seats. If she didn't forbid me to have 2 Tesla the same color, I would probably ended up with the same combo. My M3 is white/white instead. One thing about DBM, it is so much easier to wash. White exterior shows dirt extremely well especially the rocker panels and inside all the doors and trunk. The Tesla DBM color is probably one of the best looking blue color on cars.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer