Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Blue Metallic - Silver vs Grey 21s and ?Figured Ash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am in the 1 week grace period for my Model S order, and I have a couple of questions:

1.) I went with the silver 21-inch turbines to go with Deep Blue Metallic, as I think the contrast of the wheels looks amazing. I had a hard time deciding between the grey and silver wheels, though, as almost every picture and video online is of the grey turbines. I have seen the blue with silver 21s in person, but I have only seen the blue with grey 21s in pictures/videos. I likely won't be able to see the blue/grey combo in person prior to my order being finalized, so I wanted to see what folks thought about the silver vs grey 21s with DBM. I know it is a personal preference, but I welcome any opinions! :)

2.) I went with the grey next gen seats and the black alcantara headliner. I picked the figured ash wood trim, as I love that wood, but I am likely the only person who has ever chosen the grey leather with the figured ash. Is this a completely crazy (and bad) idea? Has anyone ever seen that combo in person?

Thanks all for your advice!

I would definitely go with the grey turbines, looks much more sporty and aggressive if that's what you're after. I have seen a deep blue metallic with the the grey turbines, grey interior, black headliner and carbon fiber trim. It looked outstanding.

[...] I have seen a deep blue metallic with the the grey turbines, grey interior, black headliner and carbon fiber trim. It looked outstanding.

Though I can't comment on the grey wheels... As for deep blue with that interior colour combo I agree completely :)
Some of my pics of that specific combo in another recent thread here
Interior pic request - gray w/ Next Gen seats

My opinion is that silver goes better with darker color body color. The grey (or gray lol) goes better with light body color. As far as the figured ash, I haven't seen it in person, but looking at the configurator, I think it would look okay, not great. Orangish/brownish wood probably goes better with the black or tan interior. I think the other trim options would go better with the grey. But there is no right or wrong, whatever you like is the best decision!

It's all a matter of personal taste. I have Midnight Silver Metallic with grey wheels and love it. I really honestly care what others think. Do what you want so that every time you look at the car, you think "Yup. That's it!".

Personally, I think both look great and I love that new blue. And I love the ash. I wish they had it when I bought.

I like the look of the dark wheels and I'd consider having the cyclones powder coated, but I think it does create a bit of a mismatch with the chrome bits on a dark color like the blue. So if I were to do it, I would probably end up wrapping the door handles and chrome trim carbon fiber or smoke.

I think the figured ash will look fine with the grey interior, but it's your car. As long as you're happy when you get in it, then you made the right choice. Don't get a trim (or wheels) you wouldn't like because of what random people on a forum say

Reactions: TJ&TheBeast
With regard to the wheels, blue and silver/ (or light gray) is sort of a classic combo. While I LOVE many pictures of the gray turbines, and would certainly take a car with them, the reality is that when they aren't in more direct light, they sort of disappear in the shadow and blend in with the black tire...in short, they lose the pop. it is exactly as you note - the contrast is key. Now, if you are looking at the gray turbines in the right light they look awesome (and actually better than the silvers perhaps), but that lighting isn't always the norm...now add a little dirt/dust to the equation and grays fair even more poorly in comparison. Just my .02...

Thanks everyone! My order becomes final tomorrow, and I think i am going to stick with the silver 21s. Because I live in Oregon, I will need something for the winter, so I will likely get the grey 20-inch turbine style wheels from T Sportline. Then I will have both options! If I get all seasons on the 20s, I can put them on whenever I get tired of the silver 21s. I'm hoping they may also increase range a little bit.

And somehow, I am going to decide between the obeche and the figured ash before tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for the advice!

I think the figured ash, which is pretty black, is a good choice as it does less to introduce yet another color to the interior pallet. The carbon fiber would be my choice for an upgraded trim since it is also gray. The matte obeche is somewhat gray, but still has some brown in it and the gloss obeche definitely shows some brown...I wouldn't choose either of those with the gray.