Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep in the rabbit hole of reservations. Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deepstack

Mar 24, 2022
NJ
I ordered a MYLR in early Jan with 20 inch induction wheels for 62k (4K less than current pricing ). I have the option of adding FSD for 10k. My EDD has just kept getting pushed out since the placed the order. I added FSD a couple of days ago and it didn’t really move the needle.
I have no car right now (my last car broke down and had be sold ). It’s costing me a lot to rent. So I decided to Bite the bullet and buy one of the demo cars from inventory. They stay on the website usually for less than 2-3 minutes. I knowingly made a 2nd deposit for 250$ on a new Tesla that is available to buy now.

I bought the closest spec I could find (it had FSD and 19 inch wheels). To my surprise I was able to simply remove the FSD from the spec and Get a saving of 12k. This car is now priced at 64k (2k more expensive than my current order and missing the 2k wheel upgrade ). I’m hopefully picking up the car this weekend

I would appreciate any advice on what do to next. It feels like my options are:

1. to try and convince Tesla to somehow merge my 2 reservations / transfer vin and get me my old pricing. Some people have noted success with that but Doesn’t seem likely in my case given the spec is slightly different on wheels. Maybe the best I can do is get a 250$ deposit back on my old reservation. Should I just get that back ?

1. To keep both reservations separate and keep the option to buy 2nd car in future at a 4K discount from current price. Also I have the option to add FSD at 10k vs current rate of 12k. Would I be able to sell this car as 2nd hand ? I’m guessing I would lose around 1200 -1500 in documentation fee. But should be able to make some money back ? Is it worth the hassle ?

Note : I’m in NJ and I don’t have any sales tax on vehicle.

What would you do ?

Attachments

• 32A266CB-04AE-4C0A-B074-3D66D87FCFE5.png
    32A266CB-04AE-4C0A-B074-3D66D87FCFE5.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 5773E64E-2798-4AAE-94C9-AD3696E9D542.png
    5773E64E-2798-4AAE-94C9-AD3696E9D542.png
    250.8 KB · Views: 99
FSD is not worth $10,000 and you might flip it without it for a profit. Have you spent some time on various sites looking at used pricing, And see what cars are selling for?

I would sell the reservation and skip all the BS.

Both of your questions are not doable. You cannot merge reservations. And, at this time, you cannot change your order without incurring the price increase.

Now, there is rumor Tesla might permit order changes in the future. I have not heard of anyone sucessfully do this as of today.

Hi @voxel ...
😎

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel
Both of your questions are not doable. You cannot merge reservations. And, at this time, you cannot change your order without incurring the price increase.

Now, there is rumor Tesla might permit order changes in the future. I have not heard of anyone sucessfully do this as of today.

Hi @voxel ...
😎
Tesla changed the policy a few weeks ago… you can now edit an order and keep old pricing. They also recently have cracked down on reservation transfers.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
Update : Wow ! really surprised by what happened. Tesla called me to tell me that I cant pick up in NY and they'll have to ship car to NJ. I told the guy on the phone about the situation and about transferring VIN to my original reservation. At first he said it cant be done. But when I pushed back ( politely ) he helped me out.

He Changed my spec Original reservation ( Changed from 20inch to 19inch wheels) - He told me that it could update pricing , but it would warn him. It did not change pricing. My final order ended up being 2k less. He then ported the VIN to original reservation. He said I would lose my 250$ deposit on the 2nd reservation if I cancel it. I'm just going to keep it for now and see what happens ( most likely I'll be put at the end of the queue (April 2023 delivery ).

I was getting a little annoyed by Tesla's marketing shenanigans ( e.g. prioritizing delivery for new orders with FSD ahead of existing orders w/o ) - but to some extent my faith is renewed. The buying experience was seamless, and the customer service was good.

And it seems like Tesla really have changed the policy to respect original pricing even if you change your original spec.