Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Learning Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I just stumbled on this video from 2016 and I thought I would share. It's a small 2D simulation in which cars learn to maneuver through a course by themselves, using a neural network and evolutionary algorithms.

It is probably worth noting that this is a very simple 2D sim designed to illustrate some basic deep learning. Real world driving is obviously a lot more complex. Also, the system gets better by learning from it's mistakes which in this case involve the "cars" crashing a lot in the beginning. But it is a neat little video that illustrates deep learning in a simple case.

Here is a sim from 2019 of an AI learning to park:

Note it takes the AI over 50,000 failed attempts before it's first successful parking. By the 310,000's attempt, it is able to park reliably.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: caligula666
I just stumbled on this video from 2016 and I thought I would share. It's a small 2D simulation in which cars learn to maneuver through a course by themselves, using a neural network and evolutionary algorithms.

It is probably worth noting that this is a very simple 2D sim designed to illustrate some basic deep learning. Real world driving is obviously a lot more complex. Also, the system gets better by learning from it's mistakes which in this case involve the "cars" crashing a lot in the beginning. But it is a neat little video that illustrates deep learning in a simple case.

Here is a sim from 2019 of an AI learning to park:

Note it takes the AI over 50,000 failed attempts before it's first successful parking. By the 310,000's attempt, it is able to park reliably.

Thats an eerily similar figure to my wife....

Lol - how can I tell?

Since Elon thinks its highly likely we are all living in a simulation I guess anything is possible.

Interesting post though - Coming from a linear programming background I find AI both fascinating and a bit spooky.