Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Deep Rain" improvements [post about auto wipers]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I occasionally have moments when I hit the manual wiper button because rain is adding up and auto wipers don’t turn on. What gets me is the wipers going top speed in a light rain or not turning off when it stops raining (not intermittent but regular continuous) and I need to manually turn off the wipers. I hope AI is learning from the fleet. Auto wipers are pretty amazing but lately the top speed wipers are giving me anxiety attacks. Ha!

^^This. Drives me nuts, so I end up turning them off and doing it manually. They also sometimes refuse to come on when the rain suddently switches from light to heavy. It happended recently on the M11 when I went past a lorry as it started to bucket down. They would.not.switch.on. Not good at all.

They have. My previous Lexus I turned it on auto the day I bought it, and never touched the wiper controls in any way for 11 years. It was fantastic.

But- the sensor does cost something.

Multiply by the tens of millions of cars a year Tesla eventually plans to sell- it's a lot cheaper to use HW the car will already have to have anyway (the cameras) than a dedicated sensor that does nothing else.

It's improved quite a bit from when I got my Tesla in 2018.... it's still inferior to a rain sensor, but much closer. It'll get there eventually.
Have not been through a carwash??

I don't understand the question.

You turn off auto wipers if entering a car wash, regardless of the system the car uses to trigger them.
I'm pretty sure that the software was updated some time ago to 'recognize' carwash. Both my wife and i have 3's and have not had to disable auto for well over a year.

Recently, after an LA trip, car was pretty boggin, and even though it was very lightly raining (on and off) i took to car wash anyhow. Wipers were in auto and wipimg, but when i approached wash entrance they stopped, stayed off during wash and then as i exited, they wiped as it was drizzling. Anectdotal i know, but very consistent.

I'm pretty sure that the software was updated some time ago to 'recognize' carwash. Both my wife and i have 3's and have not had to disable auto for well over a year.

Recently, after an LA trip, car was pretty boggin, and even though it was very lightly raining (on and off) i took to car wash anyhow. Wipers were in auto and wipimg, but when i approached wash entrance they stopped, stayed off during wash and then as i exited, they wiped as it was drizzling. Anectdotal i know, but very consistent.

so- funny story.

This post made me curious... I'd always just manually turned them to off (from auto) when pulling into a car wash, and I also did for my previous cars with auto wipers.

Today, based on your post, I left them on auto pulling into a touchless car wash.

It was not raining, so they weren't wiping to start with... but the setting remained on auto the whole time.

And they did not wipe, even once, inside the wash.

So... that's pretty neat and seems to confirm your observations.