Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Sleep - Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple days ago, I pulled into a charging bay at the Manchester, NH airport. I was on my way for a 3 day trip and I find this airport to be so much more convenient (and closer) than Boston Logan. In addition, the charging stations are free and situated right in front of the main entrance to the airport. From car to gate = 7 minutes.

However, as soon as I got on the plane, I pulled up the app to see what rate the car was charging at and received a notice that there was a communication error with the car. I am completely unable to reach the car.
Spoke to a Tesla Service Tech and he advised that the car had gone into a "Deep Sleep" and could not be raised remotely, it would have to wait for me to return...

The tech was trying to diagnose a few problems with the car, but obviously didn't have any more luck than I did in raising the car... The car went to sleep within 10 min of parking, so it was not related to lack of activity. He has no explanation as to why this may have happened and I won't know if my car is OK until I walk up to it later tonight when I fly back in.

Has anyone had the same issue and if yes, any ideas why this would happen. Obviously, concern is that Sentry is not working while the car is in deep sleep... (enclosed is screen shot of the app...)

Looking forward to the feedback.
Richard
IMG_3231 2.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Mine has done this at home a couple of times when I don't use it for perhaps 24 hours or so. No solution to the immediate problem except walking up to the car with the fob. I've not fiddled with settings like always connected, etc., since I usually don't not 'touch' the car.

This only started happening 'recently'. V9 perhaps? Someplace in there. Our 3 also does it from time to time and it needs a real touch, a handle pull, of course, to awaken it.

If Tesla doesn't know about this happening, they need to do something to 'decrease the anesthesia level'. :D

Reactions: Rellert
Spoke to a Tesla Service Tech and he advised that the car had gone into a "Deep Sleep" and could not be raised remotely, it would have to wait for me to return...
View attachment 424278

In all seriousness I am shocked no one asked how you managed to get through to service let alone speak to a tech and live to tell the tale. Did you use the chat window from the website? I have given up calling Tesla.

Reactions: sceptic
In all seriousness I am shocked no one asked how you managed to get through to service let alone speak to a tech and live to tell the tale. Did you use the chat window from the website? I have given up calling Tesla.

It's quite simple. I ordered the car with FSD and it was delivered without. I got tired of waiting to hear back, so I called my sales person and asked him about the procedure to return the car (I was within the 7 days). I was dead serious and was prepared to return the car. Miraculously, this was escalated and I received a call from a technician who was trying to upload an update to the car and could not reach it either...
When I returned home that night, as soon as the car connected to wifi, it uploaded the update and FSD was there... Apparently, the fact that the update was pushed through just as I was parking the car may have created the connection error...
For now, all is well and I am enjoying driving this marvel of engineering. Only lingering problem is the driver window won't go up on its own. A mobile tech is coming on Monday to fix this, so I am ok....

I just traded from a 2016 Model X to a 2019. My new one is having all manner of app issues.

Initially, most app functions worked but nothing that would unsecure the car. Meaning, opening the frunk, trunk, or unlocking doors did nothing. I never got an explanation but they fixed it after an hour in the shop.

I am now having deep sleep issues like yourself. The 2019 car sleeps at the drop of a hat. I came to this forum to ask if this was common (perhaps with the current app update, or all new models), or if this was another glitch specific to my car.

I just traded from a 2016 Model X to a 2019. My new one is having all manner of app issues.

Initially, most app functions worked but nothing that would unsecure the car. Meaning, opening the frunk, trunk, or unlocking doors did nothing. I never got an explanation but they fixed it after an hour in the shop.

I am now having deep sleep issues like yourself. The 2019 car sleeps at the drop of a hat. I came to this forum to ask if this was common (perhaps with the current app update, or all new models), or if this was another glitch specific to my car.

I’m thinking this is common, my 2018 x goes to sleep randomly, sometimes right away other times 8 hours sometimes 16 hours other 24+ hours. I’ve called Tesla service and they are saying it has to go to the service center for this issue and to keep a log. I go 7/10, guessing to hear it’s normal behavior. Luckily (bad luck)my drivers door won’t open, so it’s a twofer now.

Could be my imagination but don’t think so...I am connecting more often since calling service. Used to never connect passed 8 hours now I’m regularly connect past 12 hours... going to try a few 24 connections see what happens

• Disagree
Reactions: SuitNtie
My 2018 mcu 2 have the same problem and it’s really annoying, it falls asleep very fast and refuses to be remotely awakened. My 2018 mcu 1 don’t have this problem, it’s simply never sleeps maybe because mcu1 have the “always connected” tab that i always keep checked. Tesla should send a OTA fix for this

My 2018 mcu 2 have the same problem and it’s really annoying, it falls asleep very fast and refuses to be remotely awakened. My 2018 mcu 1 don’t have this problem, it’s simply never sleeps maybe because mcu1 have the “always connected” tab that i always keep checked. Tesla should send a OTA fix for this

I have a model 3 as well, no problem waking that up

I've had my X enter deep sleep a few times, usually in an area with poor connectivity. The only way I got it back was to get in range with the fob and press the break forcing it to power back up. One thing I would wonder, is it possible that there isn't any connectiviy where it's parked in the garage and it's simply offline, not asleep?

I've had my X enter deep sleep a few times, usually in an area with poor connectivity. The only way I got it back was to get in range with the fob and press the break forcing it to power back up. One thing I would wonder, is it possible that there isn't any connectiviy where it's parked in the garage and it's simply offline, not asleep?

I know my x has good WiFi in the garage, trying to trouble shoot the issue I disconnected it from WiFi and left it it alone for 8 hours. I was able to wake it up but having it a mind of its own it went back onto WiFi, weird behavior

I wonder if hooking the car up to teslifi would stop the deep sleep issue till you can get it in for service. Teslifi will poll your vehicle for status every 60 seconds. Anyone here getting the problem also using teslifi or something continue polling tool?

I wonder if hooking the car up to teslifi would stop the deep sleep issue till you can get it in for service. Teslifi will poll your vehicle for status every 60 seconds. Anyone here getting the problem also using teslifi or something continue polling tool?
My car has experienced similar behavior, while connected to Teslafi, but with the configurable sleep options in Teslafi it generally intentionally allows the car to enter sleep for energy savings - although you could alter that behavior if desired.

My car has experienced similar behavior, while connected to Teslafi, but with the configurable sleep options in Teslafi it generally intentionally allows the car to enter sleep for energy savings - although you could alter that behavior if desired.

Yes, Disabling the Sleep options in Teslafi would cause it to be polled every 60 seconds non stop. I wonder if that would prevent the issue.

If you use Teslafi's feature that tells it to stop pooling after X activity then that would defeat the purpose of using it prevent the deep sleep.

It might not work but I think it worth trying for those with the problem till they can get it into the service center.

Yes, Disabling the Sleep options in Teslafi would cause it to be polled every 60 seconds non stop. I wonder if that would prevent the issue.

If you use Teslafi's feature that tells it to stop pooling after X activity then that would defeat the purpose of using it prevent the deep sleep.

It might not work but I think it worth trying for those with the problem till they can get it into the service center.

Mine was dropped off at service center with a log of when the issues occurred. Should hear back soon