Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep trunk had standing water, what are your thoughts here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Context: 2020 model 3 LR Bought in July 2020. So come a month ago(January 2022), luckily I needed something out of my deep trunk so I opened it up and grabbed whatever but noticed that things were moist. My trunk outside was bone dry as everyone knows water rolls off glass into trunk. Preface, I don't keep water, liquids, etc in trunk! I start pulling things out and there's literally 3-5 inches of standing water in my deep trunk! I literally grab a measuring cup and start scooping water out. Come to today and I take it to the Tesla shop and they say it's missing some seals, no more leaks and cars ready. I also live in Washington state (rainy state) and recently got a garage (August 2021).

Now my thing is I don't regularly check the deep trunk but I don't know how long it's been like that and they don't either. Water has seemingly been in my deep trunk for months (August 2021 was first major rain) and possibly before. I'm thinking mold is definitely in there and potentially rust, and bacteria smell now. Which I smelled while waiting for a month for an appointment. My thing is should I petition for a replacement car or deal with that BS? Any and all feedback is welcome. All manufacturers fault here. I keep my trunk closed but it rains every other day in Washington state and I charge outside and parked outside for work, @ stores, etc.

The steel is pretty well coated in there and shouldn't rust by any meaningful amount with a few months of freshwater exposure. If it smells I think Tesla should replace the liner and any other affected parts under warranty since they already documented the seal flaw. A liner replacement would likely be done by a mobile tech so you can easily inspect the tub yourself for peace of mind.

IMG_1339.jpeg

Context: 2020 model 3 LR Bought in July 2020. So come a month ago(January 2022), luckily I needed something out of my deep trunk so I opened it up and grabbed whatever but noticed that things were moist. My trunk outside was bone dry as everyone knows water rolls off glass into trunk. Preface, I don't keep water, liquids, etc in trunk! I start pulling things out and there's literally 3-5 inches of standing water in my deep trunk! I literally grab a measuring cup and start scooping water out. Come to today and I take it to the Tesla shop and they say it's missing some seals, no more leaks and cars ready. I also live in Washington state (rainy state) and recently got a garage (August 2021).

Now my thing is I don't regularly check the deep trunk but I don't know how long it's been like that and they don't either. Water has seemingly been in my deep trunk for months (August 2021 was first major rain) and possibly before. I'm thinking mold is definitely in there and potentially rust, and bacteria smell now. Which I smelled while waiting for a month for an appointment. My thing is should I petition for a replacement car or deal with that BS? Any and all feedback is welcome. All manufacturers fault here. I keep my trunk closed but it rains every other day in Washington state and I charge outside and parked outside for work, @ stores, etc.
This was not a seal issue for me. I just bought a used 2020 model Y and I know what is causing this issue. I did several leak tests myself and it is not the seal around the trunk that is causing the problem. The problem is that the area around the tail lights on the lift gate are just spot welded and there are giant cracks where water can get through. I just sealed that part up with silicon today and I will be doing another leak test tomorrow but I am almost positive this is where the leaks are coming through. The reason I know is because I took the trunk lid liner off the part with the speakers on it and I can see where the prior owner had drips of water for probably the entire time they owned it and it left big black water marks or dirt plus water marks where it dripped onto the white padding underneath the black plastic stuff. So I will be doing another leak test tomorrow but yeah if you take off the light on either side of the lift gate which is accessible via an 8 mm screw once you remove the plastic stuff which requires you to remove some pins and stuff you will see that there are tons of giant gaps where the spot welding is around the lights that are on the hatch back itself where water can get in very easily. I am flabbergasted that Tesla did not discover this and do basic leak tests. All I'm doing is using is using a garden hose and acting as if it's raining on the top of the car and running down the back. I'm not squirting high pressure water into anything it's just running down the back of the car over those lights and getting right into the trunk. And the place where it's coming out is the two stoppers that have the little stopper pads at the bottom of the lift gate. Those screw into the base of the liftgate and there are two holes in the lift gate and the water comes out there and then fills the liner seal thing with water and then gets to the end of that and then leaks down into the trunk to all three sections of the bottom of the trunk.

Looking for information for the rear aesthetic cover removed like above, are there dimensions of the uncovered rear sub storage area for a 2021 Model 3 avalible?

Does the 2021 Model 3 still use the compound assembly structure as opposed to a cast plastic tub the Model Y utilizes?

Possible anyone knows the X,Y,Z dimensions of this uncovered sub storage area on a 2021 M3? Or possibly has a picture of the sub storage area on a 2021 with the cover removed?

F512FA76-CCFC-4A77-84B2-A98E1ED14CA4.jpeg

Last edited: