Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer has an intimate encounter with MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well today didn't quite start out in the best way, this happened during a short early morning drive. Deer came out of nowhere directly into my path, didn't even have a chance to react to it. Have tesla insurance, claim filed. Fingers crossed now...
1000010449.jpg
1000010446.jpg

Just curious, did the screen display anything for the deer / object in the road?

I came up to a group of 6 deer just standing in the road, and my car gave no indication at all that there was anything there. Even if it doesn't recognize what a deer is, I kind of expected it to warn me that some object was directly in my path. Fortunately I had time to stop while the deer took their sweet time moving off of the road.

Just curious, did the screen display anything for the deer / object in the road?

I came up to a group of 6 deer just standing in the road, and my car gave no indication at all that there was anything there. Even if it doesn't recognize what a deer is, I kind of expected it to warn me that some object was directly in my path. Fortunately I had time to stop while the deer took their sweet time moving off of the road.
Nope happened too fast, didn't see a thing on the screen. I even got a perfect 100 safety score for the drive 🙄

Electric cars are so much quieter than gas cars. They addressed this for pedestrians by adding a speaker, but perhaps you should add deer whistles for deer.
The engine noise on an ICE car doesn’t prevent or decrease deer collisions. Deer just run out across roads, they don’t listen for noises to decide if it’s safe or not.
As far as pedestrians, they shouldn’t have to add the fake noise to warn pedestrians. Survival of the fittest; eliminate all of the ones who don’t pay attention while around traffic.

The engine noise on an ICE car doesn’t prevent or decrease deer collisions. Deer just run out across roads, they don’t listen for noises to decide if it’s safe or not.
As far as pedestrians, they shouldn’t have to add the fake noise to warn pedestrians. Survival of the fittest; eliminate all of the ones who don’t pay attention while around traffic.

What about blind people? They rely on the noise.

What about blind people? They rely on the noise.
Thing is: At anything past a crawl, the engine noise of an typical ICEV is much quieter than the sounds of the air swishing past the vehicle and/or the tires hitting the road. With the exception of sporty cars with (purposely) loud exhausts. Really, the only difference with a BEV is at very low speeds where (a) the tires are quiet, (b) there's no air flow noise, and (c) there's no gas engine, whose noise might be noticeable given that the other two are dead quiet.

And that's the reason that the blind organizations have successfully pushed for noisemakers on both BEVs and full-time Hybrids. It's not that those noisemakers would make a big difference at speed, where they're disabled anyway; but it's in parking lots and such where cars go very slow and Every Little Bit Helps when a vision-impaired person (literally) can't see what's coming.

Reactions: advocate8
Thing is: At anything past a crawl, the engine noise of an typical ICEV is much quieter than the sounds of the air swishing past the vehicle and/or the tires hitting the road. With the exception of sporty cars with (purposely) loud exhausts. Really, the only difference with a BEV is at very low speeds where (a) the tires are quiet, (b) there's no air flow noise, and (c) there's no gas engine, whose noise might be noticeable given that the other two are dead quiet.

And that's the reason that the blind organizations have successfully pushed for noisemakers on both BEVs and full-time Hybrids. It's not that those noisemakers would make a big difference at speed, where they're disabled anyway; but it's in parking lots and such where cars go very slow and Every Little Bit Helps when a vision-impaired person (literally) can't see what's coming.
So it sounds like the solution would be to add a squeaky fan belt noise to each EV.

and data from one high patrol dept shows deer whistles dont work.

Reactions: mabbas