Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer Head Butted MY…Diminished Value Claim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deer head butted my 21 MYP. Sucks. My 21 Model Y Performance that was in MINT condition, fully XPEL Stealth wrapped, was head butted by a huge deer while at a stop sign. Yep. Can’t make this up! It’s definitely not totaled, so I guess that’s a plus if you’re a glass half full type. Haha!

That being said, the age, and seeing the value of the vehicle, opinion wise, will this qualify for a diminished value claim, and if yes, what’s the scenario to do so. I have already claimed on my progressive insurance, but they said nothing of this claim obviously.

Thanks for the info

A76E876E-4A6C-4D2D-B61B-09E4A124EA01.jpeg

792C83DE-FD2E-4C5F-A745-1C6F1D29D676.jpeg

D02CFE39-9436-4734-847D-8DE3D833E8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
You can't claim diminished value from your own policy.

Incorrect.

The following states can claim DM on their own uninsured motorist policies. Note, I’m in Rhode Island.
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike_TV
Upvote 0
Did you save the Dashcam video after the head butt incident by tapping the screen icon or honking the horn?

No, sadly. That being said, there were 3 other vehicles in the area that saw it go down and provided a statement to the police stating what happened. Also, Progressive also already agreed with it me being “not at fault” and it being a deer strike.

Upvote 0
I’m more surprised you had 3 witnesses and police for something like this? In CA the cops would just laugh at you if you asked them to show up and take statements on a non-injury accident like this.
As far as the diminished value claim against your own insurance, good luck. If it gets approved you know they’re going to find some way of screwing you over on renewal rates. I’d probably just let the insurance pay for the repairs and you could always just sell it afterwards with this market and probably not lose much.

Upvote 0
Deer head butted my 21 MYP. Sucks. My 21 Model Y Performance that was in MINT condition, fully XPEL Stealth wrapped, was head butted by a huge deer while at a stop sign. Yep. Can’t make this up! It’s definitely not totaled, so I guess that’s a plus if you’re a glass half full type. Haha!

That being said, the age, and seeing the value of the vehicle, opinion wise, will this qualify for a diminished value claim, and if yes, what’s the scenario to do so. I have already claimed on my progressive insurance, but they said nothing of this claim obviously.

Thanks for the info

View attachment 743198

View attachment 743200

View attachment 743199
Wow - one pissed off Deer, and pretty big by the looks of the damage. Must have been in rut to do that.

Upvote 0
I’m more surprised you had 3 witnesses and police for something like this? In CA the cops would just laugh at you if you asked them to show up and take statements on a non-injury accident like this.
As far as the diminished value claim against your own insurance, good luck. If it gets approved you know they’re going to find some way of screwing you over on renewal rates. I’d probably just let the insurance pay for the repairs and you could always just sell it afterwards with this market and probably not lose much.

Progressive MAKES you get a police report for this. They even have a webpage dedicated to deer strikes. Next, vehicles were around and saw it, so they nicely stuck around for 1, to make sure we were all good, and 2., one called the cops prior to me doing so as I couldn’t even open my door. They thought I was hurt. Lastly, I didn’t ask anyone to do a damn thing. They did so, so I don’t get screwed by the insurance company.
California sounds more and more like the complete ass of this country, and this iced that cake. Move…. My advice to you.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and jebinc
Upvote 0
Incorrect.

The following states can claim DM on their own uninsured motorist policies. Note, I’m in Rhode Island.
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia

Was the deer in question driving a car without insurance? If not, then the uninsured motorist clause is irrelevant :D

Joking aside, this had to have been a comprehensive claim on the insurance, do you have information on weather or not a DV claim can be made on a comprehensive insurance claim?

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr and jebinc
Upvote 0
You’re just writing to write something bro. Progressive MAKES you get a police report for this. They even have a webpage dedicated to deer strikes. Next, vehicles were around and saw it, so they nicely stuck around for 1, to make sure we were all good, and 2., one called the cops prior to me doing so as I couldn’t even open my door. They thought I was hurt. Lastly, I didn’t ask anyone to do a damn thing. They did so, so I don’t get screwed by the insurance company.

Maybe in the crap hole you live in, people don’t look out for one another and the police follow suit but where I live, we take care of each other.

California sounds more and more like the complete ass of this country, and this iced that cake. Move…. My advice to you.

I don't think he was calling you out on this, he was saying how crappy it is where he lives... you are just rubbing salt in his wounds about where he lives. We need to pity the people of Southern California (and other places like Chicago, and other major cities) who don't have the ability to escape...

Keith

Upvote 0
Was the deer in question driving a car without insurance? If not, then the uninsured motorist clause is irrelevant :D

Joking aside, this had to have been a comprehensive claim on the insurance, do you have information on weather or not a DV claim can be made on a comprehensive insurance claim?

Keith

It’s a valid question, as it sounds insane that UIM/UM covers a deer strike, but that’s what it’s looking Like for Rhode Island at least. I’ll be exploring all avenues so when I know more, I’ll let you know for sure!

Upvote 0
I don't think he was calling you out on this, he was saying how crappy it is where he lives... you are just rubbing salt in his wounds about where he lives. We need to pity the people of Southern California (and other places like Chicago, and other major cities) who don't have the ability to escape...

Keith

Perhaps, and apologies if so, but totally separate topic…

I’m from Flushing, NYC. Emancipated at 13 due to my parents dying and grew up in group homes around the city, If one wants out, they can get out. I don’t pity in that department much, sadly as I grew up in real life hell, with zero, and now am talking about my Tesla on the net. I don’t do excuses.

Upvote 0
It’s a valid question, as it sounds insane that UIM/UM covers a deer strike, but that’s what it’s looking Like for Rhode Island at least. I’ll be exploring all avenues so when I know more, I’ll let you know for sure!

Interesting, everywhere I have lived an animal strike was a comprehensive claim on insurance, usually with a different (lower or zero) deductible compared to uninsured motorist claims. I wonder if the deer population density (likelihood of an incident) has something to do with it?

Keith

Upvote 0
I’m from Flushing, NYC. Emancipated at 13 due to my parents dying and grew up in group homes around the city, If one wants out, they can get out. I don’t pity in that department much, sadly as I grew up in real life hell, with zero, and now am talking about my Tesla on the net. I don’t do excuses.

It is hard to free people who don't even know they are imprisoned though. It can be harder to escape a gilded cage than a heIIhole. I don't pity you, or people like you who escaped... I do pity those who remain.

Keith

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Upvote 0
Interesting, everywhere I have lived an animal strike was a comprehensive claim on insurance, usually with a different (lower or zero) deductible compared to uninsured motorist claims. I wonder if the deer population density (likelihood of an incident) has something to do with it?

Keith

Possibly! Rhode Island is the second most densely populated state in the country. We’re 1.3 million people in a very small area, and have A LOT of deer. I see at least 10 a week in the winter, and I live in an urban area. Would make sense to be honest!

Upvote 0