Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer Head Butted MY…Diminished Value Claim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deer head butted my 21 MYP. Sucks. My 21 Model Y Performance that was in MINT condition, fully XPEL Stealth wrapped, was head butted by a huge deer while at a stop sign. Yep. Can’t make this up! It’s definitely not totaled, so I guess that’s a plus if you’re a glass half full type. Haha!

That being said, the age, and seeing the value of the vehicle, opinion wise, will this qualify for a diminished value claim, and if yes, what’s the scenario to do so. I have already claimed on my progressive insurance, but they said nothing of this claim obviously.

Thanks for the info

A76E876E-4A6C-4D2D-B61B-09E4A124EA01.jpeg

792C83DE-FD2E-4C5F-A745-1C6F1D29D676.jpeg

D02CFE39-9436-4734-847D-8DE3D833E8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like mirror and fender will be replaced with new parts. Minimal diminished value here.
When you drive in an area with known hazards (deer) you assume some responsibility.

Get it fixed and move on.

And that "known hazard" results in higher insurance premiums. All Insurance companies would love to have it both ways by charging higher premiums for known risk, and then not paying out on claims because it was a known risk... Good insurance companies don't try that crap, bad insurance companies do it all the time.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: JaeTheDev
Upvote 0
Do you have any suggestions for an appraiser? I did see some DM sites that do this, but this is new to me. Pardon my ignorance...
If you are covered, I'm sure your insurance company will have an appraiser. I would suggest pricing on the online sites like Vroom, Carvana, CarFax, and a local dealer as a check on the insurance appraisal. Remember you are looking for the difference between accident and no accident, whether wholesale or retail. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they might be the best source. BTW, I believe Carfax will distinguish between minor and major accident damage.

Upvote 0
If you are covered, I'm sure your insurance company will have an appraiser. I would suggest pricing on the online sites like Vroom, Carvana, CarFax, and a local dealer as a check on the insurance appraisal. Remember you are looking for the difference between accident and no accident, whether wholesale or retail. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they might be the best source. BTW, I believe Carfax will distinguish between minor and major accident damage.

Estimate just came in for repairs. Looks to be about $8,200 in damage. Sadly, thats not worth coming out of pocket for me. Taking next steps as they come.

Upvote 0