Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer Head Butted MY…Diminished Value Claim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deer head butted my 21 MYP. Sucks. My 21 Model Y Performance that was in MINT condition, fully XPEL Stealth wrapped, was head butted by a huge deer while at a stop sign. Yep. Can’t make this up! It’s definitely not totaled, so I guess that’s a plus if you’re a glass half full type. Haha!

That being said, the age, and seeing the value of the vehicle, opinion wise, will this qualify for a diminished value claim, and if yes, what’s the scenario to do so. I have already claimed on my progressive insurance, but they said nothing of this claim obviously.

Thanks for the info

A76E876E-4A6C-4D2D-B61B-09E4A124EA01.jpeg

792C83DE-FD2E-4C5F-A745-1C6F1D29D676.jpeg

D02CFE39-9436-4734-847D-8DE3D833E8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Incorrect.

The following states can claim DM on their own uninsured motorist policies. Note, I’m in Rhode Island.
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
It might be hard to argue the deer had no insurance. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: JaeTheDev
Upvote 0
Not hard to argue, as the deer is "uninsured". WOMP! 🤷‍♂️o_O
Was it a hit-and-run? If not, did you take a picture of the deer's roaming license?
Seriously, dear is not a motorist, end of argument. Your insurance most likely will reject your diminished value claim. Also, it seems the damage is rather minimal, and I wouldn't involve the police at all. Instead, I would get the damage evaluated quickly, and then see if I still want to file a claim. If you had no damage to any car structure under the fender, the damage will be considered minor, and the diminished value claim may be declined anyway.

• Funny
Upvote 0
Was it a hit-and-run? If not, did you take a picture of the deer's roaming license?
Seriously, dear is not a motorist, end of argument. Your insurance most likely will reject your diminished value claim. Also, it seems the damage is rather minimal, and I wouldn't involve the police at all. Instead, I would get the damage evaluated quickly, and then see if I still want to file a claim. If you had no damage to any car structure under the fender, the damage will be considered minor, and the diminished value claim may be declined anyway.

Great advice, but sadly, it appears you didnt read all the comments in this thread. Someone already stated it looks minimal, which it does, but the quote received isnt so minimal, which I replied with. Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself. Just would suck having a 65k car worth 60 because of this.

So XPEL doesn’t protect against deer?

Well, it didnt scratch! HA! That being said, the wrap is covered by insurance!

Upvote 0
Progressive MAKES you get a police report for this. They even have a webpage dedicated to deer strikes. Next, vehicles were around and saw it, so they nicely stuck around for 1, to make sure we were all good, and 2., one called the cops prior to me doing so as I couldn’t even open my door. They thought I was hurt. Lastly, I didn’t ask anyone to do a damn thing. They did so, so I don’t get screwed by the insurance company.
California sounds more and more like the complete ass of this country, and this iced that cake. Move…. My advice to you.
You can file a police report without having the cops show up. In CA you just file the police report afterwards if it’s a non-injury accident.
CA has its problems, but I sure as hell would rather live in CA than Rhode Island.

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
Upvote 0
Interesting, everywhere I have lived an animal strike was a comprehensive claim on insurance, usually with a different (lower or zero) deductible compared to uninsured motorist claims. I wonder if the deer population density (likelihood of an incident) has something to do with it?

Keith

Follow up. Deer strikes in RI do use comprehensive for the damage to the vehicle. UIM is used for diminished value, if agreed upon by the "not at fault" operator's insurance, which it never is. A lawyer always has to get involved, it appears for deer strikes.

Sitting back and seeing how it plays out. Ill then see what the value is after and go from there.

Upvote 0
It is unfortunate that your deer hit won't give you standing to submit a diminished value claim in most states, not just RI. I just left there on Saturday after spending the last two weeks. Definitely on the lookout for deer, especially dawn and dusk.

One thing that most people don't know is that auto diminished value is partially deductible. If you find that the shop needs to pull that hinge pillar, according to Tesla Repair Guidelines, your car has suffered structural damages. If you aren't aware, structural repairs, as well as air bag deployment, will cause almost any car to lose up to half of its pre-accident value. So, the deduction may only be 10% - 20% of the DV but that's not nothing on a $20,000 DV loss.

Upvote 0
Why would a diminished value claim be denied on the basis of "minor damage"?

Upvote 0
Get the estimate; add the deductible and the diminished value. Decide if paying out of pocket will make more financial sense. If paying $3k to fix it out of pocket will save you $15k in DV, then just pay out of pocket and save yourself the headache of going through insurance trying to get DV. Another reason why adding PPF to an entire car is a waste of money.

• Funny
Upvote 0
Get the estimate; add the deductible and the diminished value. Decide if paying out of pocket will make more financial sense. If paying $3k to fix it out of pocket will save you $15k in DV, then just pay out of pocket and save yourself the headache of going through insurance trying to get DV. Another reason why adding PPF to an entire car is a waste of money.

No harm no foul, but regarding your knowledge of "PPF to an entire car is a waste of money", is incorrect, at least in my case. Its covered here. My wrap guy already has been informed by the body shop, and called me to tell me what will happen after its fixed, as well as new PPF and labor will be paid for. By whom? IDK, and IDC, but its covered! HAHA! I will say my insurance saw the PPF and asked for my XPEL warranty info to be sent in, which I did as requested.

So, in the end... get PPF! Protects and if in a crash, it could be under warranty. Of course, make sure with the installer first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like mirror and fender will be replaced with new parts. Minimal diminished value here.
When you drive in an area with known hazards (deer) you assume some responsibility.

Get it fixed and move on.

"Minimal diminished value here".

I dont care if its 5 bucks. If I can get something for it, Im going to try. Why so many people care less is beyond me. We pay for car insurance, health insurance, etc., and recoup minimal value on them. If I am entitled to something, Im getting it.

"When you drive in an area with known hazards (deer) you assume some responsibility."

HAHAHA! Im not even going to reply to that. Smh.

Reactions: Arthur31
Upvote 0
You can file a police report without having the cops show up. In CA you just file the police report afterwards if it’s a non-injury accident.
CA has its problems, but I sure as hell would rather live in CA than Rhode Island.

Looks like my rebuttal to this was removed, so Ill place it being nicer.

California is a crap hole. I have tons of clients in the SD and Sacramento area. My sister lived in SF for decades. I had a company timeshare in Simi Valley. I know the state. That being said, Im happy you would rather live in a state where in a major city, its legal to defecate on the ground and leave it, infrastructure deficit is insane, government debt is one of the highest in the country, taxes and regulations or borderline dictatorship, and its coastline is sinking into the ocean.

Granted, perhaps calling the cops (which it states to do so on Progressives' deer strike webpage Does Insurance Cover Hitting A Deer?) looks like a "bit much" to you, being a hardened Californian, but here in RI, cops help us, and people stick around at accidents of all types to help as well.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: nate704 and leaftoy
Upvote 0

California is a crap hole. I have tons of clients in the SD and Sacramento area. My sister lived in SF for decades. I had a company timeshare in Simi Valley. I know the state. That being said, Im happy you would rather live in a state where in a major city, its legal to defecate on the ground and leave it, infrastructure deficit is insane, government debt is one of the highest in the country, taxes and regulations or borderline dictatorship, and its coastline is sinking into the ocean.

Granted, perhaps calling the cops (which it states to do so on Progressives' deer strike webpage Does Insurance Cover Hitting A Deer?) looks like a "bit much" to you, being a hardened Californian, but here in RI, cops help us, and people stick around at accidents of all types to help as well.
Dude, Rhode Island has higher government debt as a percentage of GDP than CA (which is a reasonable way to measure this instead of just looking at total debt or per capita debt).

• Disagree
Upvote 0
Dude, Rhode Island has higher government debt as a percentage of GDP than CA (which is a reasonable way to measure this instead of just looking at total debt or per capita debt).

Even Elon moved, bro.

Rhode Island has its issues, as does every state. I'm originally from NYC. I lived in Cali as well. The state is trash, man. Its a great place to visit, but that's it. Only people, who have never left Cali, think Cali is the absolute tits. There is very little going for it, and many have hit the road as of late because of it.

Personally, I'm planning on moving, for good, to Arlington, VA when its all said and done. The greater DC area is thriving. North Carolina as well. I lived in Greensboro for a bit. Great city. Not sure I can take the religious aspect, though. Its just not for me, nothing against those who are for it.

Thats all from me on this topic. Its all opinion in the end, and opinionated arguments with strangers who couldn't care less about the others' opinion... should be left for Facebook. 🤣

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like mirror and fender will be replaced with new parts. Minimal diminished value here.
When you drive in an area with known hazards (deer) you assume some responsibility.

Get it fixed and move on.
No such thing as "minimal" diminished value today. If there is an insurance claim, it will show up on Car Fax and most used car appraisals won't consider whether it's minor damage, just a car with an accident history. I had an Audi Q3 that gad been rear ended with only bumper and related parts damage and no sheet metal or mechanical damage. It should have sold wholesale for about $30,000, clean low mileage. Offers - Vroom $21,000, Tesla trade in $24,500, Carvana $25,000, Audi dealer didn't want to touch it. I finally sold it to a used car manager that knew he could make some money for $29,000. If your insurance covers diminished value, make sure you get more than their appraisal before settling.

Upvote 0
No such thing as "minimal" diminished value today. If there is an insurance claim, it will show up on Car Fax and most used car appraisals won't consider whether it's minor damage, just a car with an accident history. I had an Audi Q3 that gad been rear ended with only bumper and related parts damage and no sheet metal or mechanical damage. It should have sold wholesale for about $30,000, clean low mileage. Offers - Vroom $21,000, Tesla trade in $24,500, Carvana $25,000, Audi dealer didn't want to touch it. I finally sold it to a used car manager that knew he could make some money for $29,000. If your insurance covers diminished value, make sure you get more than their appraisal before settling.

Do you have any suggestions for an appraiser? I did see some DM sites that do this, but this is new to me. Pardon my ignorance.

That being said, everyone here is telling me, "NOPE. YOU WON'T GET IT". Just got a call from my rep. They are looking at the vehicle tomorrow at the shop. I asked about DM with it, and she stated its in the notes to cover, as Rhode Island is a DM state, the car is brand new, and a more expensive make/model. I asked if it mattered that it was a deer strike? She stated, "no, due to the state I'm in, itll process on my insurance".

Looks like a case for DM is not dead.

Upvote 0
No harm no foul, but regarding your knowledge of "PPF to an entire car is a waste of money", is incorrect, at least in my case. Its covered here. My wrap guy already has been informed by the body shop, and called me to tell me what will happen after its fixed, as well as new PPF and labor will be paid for. By whom? IDK, and IDC, but its covered! HAHA! I will say my insurance saw the PPF and asked for my XPEL warranty info to be sent in, which I did as requested.

So, in the end... get PPF! Protects and if in a crash, it could be under warranty. Of course, make sure with the installer first.

Yeah the PPF is going on the repair bill, Xpel doesn't cover accidents in their 10 year warranty. Your wrap guy is happy cause he's getting paid again and Xpel is happy cause they're selling more product.
I wonder if your insurance really will cover the PPF in the end once they read into it more and realize it's cosmetic and not covered under warranty.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but rule #1 in business is not call a client's home state a crap hole. You lose all credibility as someone with any common sense.
BTW, you do realize all coastlines are sinking in to the ocean, it's called erosion. I'm actually a New Yorker and your comments about being from NYC makes me laugh even more now. No true New Yorker calls the cops to show up for a minor deer strike. At most you call a tow truck if your car is inoperable. When I hit a deer in NY years ago, I drove home and called the police to file a police report for insurance. I didn't need police onsite and 3 witnesses and a car forum to make me feel important.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you do for a living, but rule #1 in business is not call a client's home state a crap hole. You lose all credibility as someone with any common sense.
BTW, you do realize all coastlines are sinking in to the ocean, it's called erosion. I'm actually a New Yorker and your comments about being from NYC makes me laugh even more now. No true New Yorker calls the cops to show up for a minor deer strike. At most you call a tow truck if your car is inoperable. When I hit a deer in NY years ago, I drove home and called the police to file a police report for insurance. I didn't need police onsite and 3 witnesses and a car forum to make me feel important.

Cool story.

I looked up your past posts on here to confirm a suspicion. You're a troll bro. You just seem to argue on this forum about everything. How am I sure of it? I stated that I didnt call the cops, a witness did, in a prior comment (Deer Head Butted MY…Diminished Value Claim?). You chose not to read that part and now state "No true New Yorker calls the cops to show up for a minor deer strike." HAHA! Youre a tool looking to Internet lip box and your various posts on this forum and lack of reading comprehension show it. You literally argued about me being a NYCer. HAHA! Lame, bro. Kick rocks man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0