Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

deer hit with model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife took out a deer tonight with our Model X.... Sucks but hey, that's what insurance is for... Just curious as to anyone else who has been though tesla bodywork before, how painful is this going to be, I called my insurance (USAA) who gave me a few local bodyshops certified by them but also called and left a message with the local Tesla authorized shop. From the damage it looks like it'll need a new fender and hood, not a huge deal but I hope this doesn't turn into a multi-month process....
FYI for anyone in the area, I'm in Southern New Jersey outside Philadelphia if anyone has a recommendation for someone in the area...
IMG_7183.jpeg
IMG_7184.jpeg

We live in South Jersey and our Model S was involved in an accident in October. I would suggest that you do temporary repairs and keep driving your vehicle until all the replacement parts are at the auto repair shop. Even then it may take some time to get it fixed. Not sure if there is a way to private message on this forum but if possible I would like to share some other info.

They don’t have to authorize Tesla to fix it. It’s your right to have it fixed anywhere you want. I would have it done at an authorized Tesla facility for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a streamlined process if you ever want to trade it in to Tesla.

If the car is driveable, consider convincing the insurance company to pay for reassembly so you can drive the X for the months it will take to get parts. They may balk at first but if you can manage to speak to someone with a brain and some authority, they will realize that a few extra labor hours to reassemble after appraisal and then disassemble after the parts come in is cheaper than months of a rental car.

just claim to insurance company.they will took some pics and look forward for your car damage and maybe you have to submit the car to authorize Tesla service.
Just make sure to check :front bumper locks,LH headlight locks, wheel liner cover, as i can see hood and fender is confirm.

Your damage is actually pretty minimal for a deer. I was expecting to see the whole front end destroyed when I opened this thread.

Sorry to be a downer. You should plan on a multi-month repair. Parts are hard to come by and it is unlikely that anyone will have all of the parts on hand.

It took one month and several phone calls just to get a replacement window.

For body damage, we are going to be at two months shortly, probably three for a full repair.

You don't want to give up your driveable car and have the body shop find out they need to order more parts. Have your body shop order everything right away and then have them stay on Tesla for updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Corbets
Update: well, still waiting on the appraiser to come out so I haven't driven the car... have done some more investigation and realized that all the tabs on the headlight are broken so that will need to be replaced, also crack in front bumper and all the plastic supports broken.. with any other car, not a big deal but have spoken to the local tesla repair shop and am looking at 2-3 months for parts/repair both due to parts delays and backlog of repairs they shop has stacked up....

So parts needed right now are fender, hood, front bumper, headlight, plastic supports, and trim pieces... shot a hail mary tweet to Elon just out curiosity if he'd respond. I love the brand and will no doubt buy another but the fact that I could order a new Model X today and get it in 2 weeks yet will have to wait 2-3 months on replacement parts is a bit ridiculous.

stupid me declined rental coverage on my insurance policy as I have multiple cars (yes.... i know, first world problem) so am driving my 911 until the appraiser comes out and does their job. after that I'll button up the damage so I can drive it without fears of the headlight or other random pieces falling out or getting caught up in the wheel well.. honestly thinking about picking up just a cheap 10 year old jeep grand cherokee for 3-5k to drive for the next month and ferry my kids around in while I wait to get i fixed then just sell it... odd solution but might end up cheaper than renting something

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff