Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rats on stilts!

images.jpg

Deer Collision - Availibily of parts issue

Collision repair update.

So, the car is painted and aluminum repaired. Criswell Collision shop is just waiting on one rear bumper bracket to finish the job. The car has been in the shop 3 weeks waiting on this part. At the shop, they said another car was in the same situation. Waiting on parts from Tesla. So, if you have collision repair work that needs to be done, be sure to have the shop get a realistic estimate on when all the parts will be available from Tesla to do the repair work. If I would have known it would be 3 weeks and counting, I would have waited to take the car in for repairs until all parts were available. At this point I may tell them just to duct tape the damn thing on.

So, this is just an FYI if anyone finds themselves in the same situation.

"saw a few $100K Audis being repaired"

That is to be expected. The Audi A8 is just about the only other car with an aluminum chassis other than exotics. There are a very limited number of repair shops (just over 30) in the US authorized to do Audi aluminum repair: Collision Repair & Repair Facilities | Audi USA. Jaguar has a slightly larger list for their XK and XJ, but do a less rigorous certification procedure: http://www.jaguar.com/content/market/us/en/65385/E-brochureJLR_Site2.pdf.

I wonder how long the more severe repair was there for. Audi owners sometimes wait months.

I live in Anne Arundel Co. And pass deer on the back roads all the time. I drive a roadster and a deer hit is a totaled car for me. I used to honk a lot but now just slow down and pray. Had a VW beetle wiped out by one in PA one winter heading up to ski. Guy in Upper Marlboro hit one with a roadster on a test drive a few years back ..... Big Badda boom!! He did get a roadster.... A different one.

Please don't get me started on Audi and the Criswell Audi Moron Squad ... After $100k for seven years with a TT in cost, gas, maintenance and repair the Tesla Roadster was cheap! Two years and one annual service charge ( first year didn't cost .... Not sure why) ...good deal. My sister in Michigan now has the Audi plague...... Poor kid .....

Don't like the deer population here in MD ...... Quit hunting after the army but thinning the herd seems appropriate around here.
Sorry Gator for your experience ... Glad you weren't hurt ....

image.jpg
image.jpg
I had a near miss/hit with seven deer yesterday morning. I passed a truck on a two lane country highway. A distant shadow crossed the road. I thought"raccoon." Then a second shadow. "That's not a raccoon." I thought. I slammed on the breaks as deer number three slowly crossed in front of me. Numbers four through seven stayed in the gully. Number three was finally in the left hand lane and I steered between them. The tail of number three made a hit the rear of my car as it was sucked by the vortex that puts dirt all over our car's rear.

Gator:

We also live in Howard County and can second your statement about deer. We have a group of four that live in our woods and haven't the slightest fear of humans. They are everywhere in the County. I think everyone I know has hit at least one during their stay here....

Our area is horrible...6-12 deer on our property at any given time.

I am going to work on the billion dollar version of MobileEye.

... that projects a huge attacking bear hologram on the roof, facing whatever direction the furry projectile is coming from. Gnarly snarly roaring sound effect optional.

Happy Friday!

PS: I'm glad everyone (human) who has experienced this so far has escaped without injury.

Was there a "Deer Crossing" sign close by? If so, you all should petition your city government to move the "Deer Crossing" signs to a more appropriate location away from traffic. :tongue:

On a serious note, glad I don't have to worry about large darting mammals trying to cross the road (mostly bunnies, skunks, squirrels). Plus already have crazy drivers to worry about.

It does seem to me that all animals are less afraid of this car. They let me get way too close, way closer than my previous car.

The worst run in I almost had was a 1 am near horse-strike in my ford focus zx3 hatchback near Wichita Falls, TX. It darted across from the side of the road out of no where. I was doing 70+, and it passed within a foot of my front bumper. After the near miss, it decided to cross the road a few more times before finally deciding to prance, them gallop, then run in front and alongside my car. I called the cops to let them know there was a hazard. 2 hours later I got a call back "so where was that horse again?".. "Idk, I followed it until it ran behind a church then I went home... Now I'm asleep... It's a horse it could have made it quite far in e last two hours."

I'm pretty sure I would have been dead had I hit it. I would have taken out the legs, and the rest of the horse probably nearly weighed as much as my car and would have smashed through my windshield.

Our area is horrible...6-12 deer on our property at any given time.

I am going to work on the billion dollar version of MobileEye.

... that projects a huge attacking bear hologram on the roof, facing whatever direction the furry projectile is coming from. Gnarly snarly roaring sound effect optional.

It isn't a bear hologram, but this is tres cool if it really diverts the furries:

"Autoliv (ALV), an automotive supplier, thinks it has technology that can reduce the 1.1 million collisions between cars and deer on American roads every year. A new night-vision system for cars uses infrared sensors to highlight objects in the road at night, far before headlights illuminate them. Like military systems that allow troops to see in the dark on a battlefield, automotive night vision relies on an infrared camera that generates thermal images of what’s ahead, with animals, pedestrians, and cyclists glowing more brightly than what’s around them.

The three-minute video above, provided by Autoliv, demonstrates what the display might look like to a driver. At the beginning, the system highlights pedestrians in a crowded urban setting. Later on, it shows deer along a wooded road. And toward the end, the video demonstrates an advanced “spotlight” function that flashes a beam of light on relevant objects the sensors detect. When it’s a deer, a strobe feature flashes the light on and off because that drives deer away."

Source: Forget self-driving cars—this technology is way cooler

DigitalTim, is this you???

Happy Friday!