TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Deer Whistles?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by TonyJag, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:47 PM.

1. TonyJag

TonyJag Member

Deer whistles come in pairs, tuned to 2 different frequencies, that stick on the front of a vehicle and are powered by the car moving through the air. There are also units that combine both whistles in the same unit. Designed to deter deer "in the headlights", they are very cost-effective and easy to install. Although there are deer-whistle skeptics, they are very inexpensive with few, if any drawbacks. I have had good luck with them on many different cars over the past few decades. I never hit a deer and can recall many cases where the deer froze, looked at the car, then took off into the woods. I just installed them on my new Model 3, as shown in the photo of the left one. 20200801_170537DeerWhistle.jpg

In a future SW update, Perhaps road-kill avoidance could be done instead using the existing pedestrian warning speaker located at right front, facing downwards. It appears straightforward to add two tones at different frequencies, or something more sophisticated, enabled when driving forward, in addition to the current warning noise. Other species-specific deterrents like moose, camel, kangaroos, etc. could be developed and added in future updates.

2. jlghertner

jlghertner Member

Your anecdotal evidence is not evidence that whistles work. If there were scientific evidence then why don’t insurance companies demand or even offer them? In fact, I have not found scientific peer reviewed evidence that they do.
    Everyday when I drive down my driveway deer stop, look, say hello and take off for the woods. That is proof that the Tesla aerodynamics prevent deer collisions by your logic?

• Like x 3
  3. TonyJag

TonyJag Member

I agree with your points and noted that deer whistles are controversial. I was not trying to prove that they work, but just notng the experience of those who use them. They are so cheap and easy that even with a low probability of success, they appear worthwhile. Tesla uses the same basic concept in the pedestrian warning system, but with a different waveform. Perhaps that is what alerts your deer.

4. Icenks

Icenks Member

Why would Tesla wants to spend memory space to save a sound track of whistle and make sure the pedestrian speak can produce the ultra sound needed at the perfect tune and take liability when someone actually hit a deer when user can buy a cheap whistle and stick it on bumper like you do?

engineers always want to find the simpliest solution. The whistle add on seems to be the best solution.

5. neptunesfinest

Except for the fact that the whistle is not a solution.

6. Icenks

Icenks Member

Was speaking within the premise of OP.

7. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

#7 1.21GW, Aug 2, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 7:50 AM
  8. Icenks

Icenks Member

Wow there’s research paper on that??
    In this case I would agree that it doesn’t work.

I don’t live in the rural and rarely drives there, excuse my ignorance.