Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deer Whistles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deer whistles come in pairs, tuned to 2 different frequencies, that stick on the front of a vehicle and are powered by the car moving through the air. There are also units that combine both whistles in the same unit. Designed to deter deer "in the headlights", they are very cost-effective and easy to install. Although there are deer-whistle skeptics, they are very inexpensive with few, if any drawbacks. I have had good luck with them on many different cars over the past few decades. I never hit a deer and can recall many cases where the deer froze, looked at the car, then took off into the woods. I just installed them on my new Model 3, as shown in the photo of the left one.
20200801_170537DeerWhistle.jpg

In a future SW update, Perhaps road-kill avoidance could be done instead using the existing pedestrian warning speaker located at right front, facing downwards. It appears straightforward to add two tones at different frequencies, or something more sophisticated, enabled when driving forward, in addition to the current warning noise. Other species-specific deterrents like moose, camel, kangaroos, etc. could be developed and added in future updates.

Your anecdotal evidence is not evidence that whistles work. If there were scientific evidence then why don’t insurance companies demand or even offer them? In fact, I have not found scientific peer reviewed evidence that they do.
Everyday when I drive down my driveway deer stop, look, say hello and take off for the woods. That is proof that the Tesla aerodynamics prevent deer collisions by your logic?

I agree with your points and noted that deer whistles are controversial. I was not trying to prove that they work, but just notng the experience of those who use them. They are so cheap and easy that even with a low probability of success, they appear worthwhile. Tesla uses the same basic concept in the pedestrian warning system, but with a different waveform. Perhaps that is what alerts your deer.

Why would Tesla wants to spend memory space to save a sound track of whistle and make sure the pedestrian speak can produce the ultra sound needed at the perfect tune and take liability when someone actually hit a deer when user can buy a cheap whistle and stick it on bumper like you do?

engineers always want to find the simpliest solution. The whistle add on seems to be the best solution.

Why would Tesla wants to spend memory space to save a sound track of whistle and make sure the pedestrian speak can produce the ultra sound needed at the perfect tune and take liability when someone actually hit a deer when user can buy a cheap whistle and stick it on bumper like you do?

engineers always want to find the simpliest solution. The whistle add on seems to be the best solution.

Except for the fact that the whistle is not a solution.

Ironically, these do work for humans. In SE Asia there is a lot of motorcycle (scooter) traffic. Busses and trucks often have a “turkey whistle” (I named it that because it sounds like a turkey gobbling) which is constantly making sound. This way as the truck/bus approaches a motorcycle from behind, they don’t have to use an air horn. Instead, the occupants of the scooter can hear the vehicle approaching and will begin to take precaution (stay to the right of the lane, etc..) I was just standing in my kitchen thinking the same thing for EV cars. Dodge is making fake engine sounds already, and I think that’s just silly (in terms of why an engine?). So has anyone considers making a permanent noise maker for the Tesla / EV market?